fiduciary

Author Topic: Prizm 5.1 Tri-Neopixel Strip Current Handling - Blinking Power Light  (Read 2253 times)

Offline Jax Solo

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
I upgraded my NB3 to a Prizm 5.1 on my Graflex because I wanted to use a 3-strip Neopixel setup. I'm using all 3 L1, L2 and L3 to drive the three strips of 105 pixels each. I got a new Panasonic 18650 3400ma 10A battery from TCSS. I also installed a brand new 2.1mm Recharge port.

The blade works for a few tries and then the idle-mode indicator LED starts flashing at about 1/2 sec intervals and the board no longer responds to input. I have to disconnect the blade and as soon as I do, the board resets and starts working.

So, I ordered an Orbtronic 10A 3400ma 18650 and hooked that up. Now the blade works on whichever font it starts on fine, but as soon as I hold the Aux switch to change fonts, it beeps like normal but then the LED starts flashing. Disconnecting the blade again fixes it.

Of course I've done this after a full charge on the batteries. I next tested with two other Neopixel blades. One with a 3-strip and one with a dual back-to-back strip. Even the dual strip has the same problem!

Using just a blade plug with a few Neopixels works fine. Somehow the idle current draw is enough to shut down the board which doesn't make sense.

I could tie the Neopixel GND to the Board GND but then I can't leave in the blade or blade plug and let board go to deep sleep. I'm trying to avoid having to remove the pommel and use a kill-switch plug.

Since it doesn't seem to be related to having 3 strips as opposed to two, I'm thinking something else is causing the problem. I checked connections and my wires are 24 AWG on the power lines. Filter cap installed at saber connector. Using 5-pin aviation connectors. Do I need to get a 15A battery? If so, I don't know where to get one.
UPDATE with Voltages:

I found if blade is already installed and I remove the kill plug, the idle LED blinks immediately and board won't work. I must have the kill plug pulled and then plug in the blade while off or in idle and board is not affected until I try to change fonts as above.  Here are the voltages measured at board input and from board GND to L!-3 outputs (at board):

1) Original Tri-Neo strip:
Blade connected at idle - 4 to 4.1V at board, 0V for L1 thru 3
Blade running - 3.28V at board, .09V for L1 thru 3

2) Other Tri-Neo strip running - same as above pretty much.

3) Dual Neo-strip running - 3.38V at board, .07V at L1 thru 3

Of course, L1 thru L3 are tied together to one wire that goes to the blade connector, so voltages will always read same for each. I may need to separate the three and do further tests. Still I thing the voltage drop is just too much for the board,though the sound and blade brightness is still fine at the above levels.

Thanks.-Carey

« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 11:32:28 AM by Jax Solo »

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
Re: Prizm 5.1 Tri-Neopixel Strip Current Handling - Blinking Power Light
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2018, 02:12:48 PM »
The battery is sagging bellow the operating voltage for your board. 

What color are you trying to ignite? Pixels pull about 20ma each per color, or 60ma for full white. For 315 pixels a solid single color blade (R, G or B) would be about 6amps plus the load from your board, if you are going for white it will be in the 18amp range.

Aviation connectors are typically rated for about 6amps per pin.  For your thirsty 3 strip blade you should double up pins on your 
 power lines at least. Are you using 2 pins for your power and one for data?

What gauge wire are you using? for your power lines?

I have only used the Orbtronic 3500mah batteries and no problems with 125x2 (250 total) pixel blades.

Offline erv

• Plecter Labs Inc. "Keeper of the Buttered Toast"
  • Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as Irvin PLECTER
    • Plecter Labs - Props Electronics
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2018, 03:04:31 AM »
The battery is sagging bellow the operating voltage for your board.

that's correct. The board will operate until 3.3-3.4v but with a neopixel current surge I wouldn't consider this as reliable (at all). The drop in the voltage indicated a problem with the battery, PCB or wiring.

What gauge wire are you using? for your power lines?

I second that question especially regarding the voltage drop your have.

I got some customers reporting success in building a 3 strips setup with both prizm and NB, so I know it works. The real limiting factor here isn't the board but the power supply solution.

Offline Jax Solo

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2018, 08:37:15 PM »
OK, so I'm using 2 pins doubled up for the power lines and one for the data.
I'm also using 24 awg wire for the power lines.
I had no trouble witb dual strips either but that was when I connected straight to the battery source using the I2 (before the new R3 firmware). That method also works fine for the triple strip blade.

With the Prizm 5.1 I was hoping to use the L drive outputs so I could take advantage of the deep sleep mode.

I will do some experimenting connecting directly to the board PWR and GND and compare results. Thanks.

Offline erv

• Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2018, 01:44:49 AM »
With the Prizm 5.1 I was hoping to use the L drive outputs so I could take advantage of the deep sleep mode.

it's been tested on various strips and works. The latest firmware uses all 3 L- channels to power 3 strips. Again, your battery should not drop down to 3.4V unless you're under super heavy load (not when the strips are just powered)

Offline Jax Solo

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2018, 06:32:27 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions. I figured the voltage drop was due to some resistance somewhere and I suspected the charge port. Once I jumpered around it and shortened all the GND wires, I was able to get 3.53v wile the triple strip was running. Much better, and no blinking light when switching fonts.

Now I have a mini spdt slide switch mounted at the back next to the board which acts as the kill switch. I just flip the switch when I need to recharge. I also beefed up the GND going to the three drivers with a heavy wire across the top traces. That should do it for now.  :azn:

Offline erv

• Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2018, 08:38:55 PM »
Make all sense. Your mini switch is probably also addind resistance and be barely complying with the ledstrip current but at least my electric path resistance assumption was correct. Glad it works now.

Offline Jax Solo

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2018, 09:07:47 PM »
Once the switch starts to fail, I'll wire the ground through the blade connector and use the blade as my kill plug.

retrousse