fiduciary

Author Topic: 2N2222 vs Power Xtender  (Read 1125 times)

Offline Isnala

• No Force
2N2222 vs Power Xtender
« on: October 27, 2017, 08:14:58 AM »
After compiling my parts for my first saber build using the NB v4 and a RGB LED (see bellow), I realized I goofed and forgot to get a Power Xtender board. Alas when I went back to TCSS they were out. :cry:
I clicked on the notify when back in, however I'm trying to get the blade build for a children's holiday party the first week of Dec and I don't want to chance the part not being back in stock with time left for the build.

Looking at the board itself and what it does I was wondering the following: Is it possible to use a simple 2N2222 TO-92 (have a few of these in my parts bin) in place of the Power Xtender? Not 100% what they use on the board but it looks like a simple SOT-23 transistor, just not 100% sure what the specs are and if a 2N2222 could be equivalent. :question:

So what to do???
While I could simply cap the third color for now and just use 2 of the three until the board come back in stock, I would prefer to build once and not mess with it (other than bug fixes and sound/color profile changes).

Internal parts and design are based on Shameem Moshrefzadeh's TUTORIAL - Nano Biscotte v4 Sound Install  on YouTube.

Slightly different hilt and internal chassis but the core electronics are identical.

Thanks in advanced.

-Ish
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 02:41:38 PM by Isnala »

Offline jalex000

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
Re: 2N2222 vs Power Xtender
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2017, 02:51:44 PM »
I'm in the same boat. I've found posts on other forums that say that it is a SI2302 N-channel MOSFET. I bought a 3D printed chassis that has a housing specifically for the power xtender board, so I'd rather buy the power xtender, but I'm not sure how patient I can be waiting for a restock in TCSS - they've been out for at least a month.

Offline CHEWBACCA

• JEDI/ALLIANCE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as MH
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2017, 06:50:50 PM »
They are coming back in stock soon. I am just waiting on the PCBs which should be in by the end of next week. 

Offline profezzorn

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • May the source be with you.
    • Hubbe's Corner
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2017, 07:49:17 PM »
I'm not sure about the 2N222. Any N-channel FET that can be controlled with 3.3 volts and handle enough current should work.
2N222 is a regular NPN transistor, which might still work, but it looks like it might not be able to handle the required current.

Offline Isnala

• No Force
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2017, 07:52:04 AM »
All thanks for the all advice/tips. While searching for a good source for a couple of Si2302, I kept checking back at TCSS since there was a post saying more Power Xtender might be back in stock soon. While still haven't found a good place to get just a few Si2302s, checking this morning (15 Nov) revealed that TCSS has more Power Xtenders, so I just ordered the full boards from there.  :azn:

SO if you are still trying to find a Power Xtender or similar part, you might want to check back in with TCSS while they are back in stock.

Now if my empty hilts will just get here, so I can finish my build(s).  :mad:

Thanks again all for you help and suggestions.
-Ish

retrousse