fiduciary

Author Topic: Padawan looking for assistance building first saber  (Read 2378 times)

Offline Aurae

• No Force
  • Rebellions are built on Hope
Padawan looking for assistance building first saber
« on: October 13, 2017, 03:26:07 PM »
Greetings!
I'm building a saber from scratch around a Master Replicas 2007 Luke Skywalker (A New Hope) ForceFX soundboard. Will I also require an LED controller board for that flash-on-clash action? Either way, how will the wiring work? I've not been any to find much in the way of wiring diagrams.
Thanks in advance for any help and advice!

Edit: I'd also appreciate some advice on speakers and the battery power required.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 11:36:36 AM by Aurae »

Offline QUI-GON JINN

• Also known as Jay-gon Jinn!
  • JEDI/ALLIANCE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Your focus determines your reality
Re: Padawan looking for assistance building first saber
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 04:14:22 PM »
To use that board you'll need a battery capable of at least 3.7volts,  but not more than 6volts.  For FoC,  you will need to use a different board,  as those boards do not have that  feature. Your speaker will need to be an 8ohm,  1/2 watt minimum.  you can use any 8 ohm speaker with a higher wattage rating as long as it fits inside your hilt. I have a wiring diagram for that board here: http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o141/Jay-gon_Jinn/Wiring%20Diagrams/101_5187-1.jpg hopefully,  the link will work.... :rolleyes:

Offline Aurae

• No Force
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 08:50:44 AM »
Thanks so much for the info, I really appreciate the help. :smiley: (The link does work.) I thought I'd probably require another board for FoC but as I've never seen this board's saber in action I wasn't sure. 
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 08:55:23 AM by Aurae »

Offline Aurae

• No Force
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2017, 04:17:04 AM »
Quick follow-up question. It's probably obvious if you know more about this stuff than I do, but... Is it necessary to use a single 3.7V li-ion rechargeable battery, or can I use 3 standard alkaline 1.5V AA/AAAs?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 04:19:02 AM by Aurae »

Offline QUI-GON JINN

• Also known as Jay-gon Jinn!
  • JEDI/ALLIANCE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Your focus determines your reality
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2017, 06:36:19 AM »
no,  you do not have to use a li-ion cell if you don't want to.  You can definitely use 3 AAA/AA's or better yet,  4. Just be sure to use standard alkalines if you go for 4,  as the lithium style Energizer and Duracells have a starting voltage of 1.5v or more,  which could exceed the `6.0v threshold for the board.  Much more than 6v will burn out the board.

Offline Aurae

• No Force
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2017, 03:27:48 PM »
Thanks again, you're being such a huge help. :smiley: Excellent, good to know! I think that's going to be far more practical for me really. Between the hassle of getting li-ion shipped and the charging accessories (I don't use rechargeable batteries for anything else) it all would be such a pain.
(Being ill for the last week or so has really set this project back. Sorry for the late response!)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 03:29:24 PM by Aurae »

retrousse