fiduciary

Author Topic: A New Generation of Saber Smiths  (Read 1227 times)

Offline Obi_1

• Mining Colony Members
  • Experienced Force User
  • Creator of DIYino - first open source FX-board
A New Generation of Saber Smiths
« on: October 07, 2017, 01:23:41 PM »

A new generation of saber smiths is born, a New Hope for the hobby.

I really find it exciting and wonderful: kids building their own lightsabers, but not only that. The real mind blowing feat is: they put together the electronics and program neopixel sabers THEMSELVES!!!  :huh:

https://www.facebook.com/TinkRworks/videos/1696633357311622/

I'm infinitely proud to be a part of this amazing story of young and talented padawan TinkErs building their own lightsabers. These sabers were built by kids, including putting together the electonics, using the most state-of-the-art blade illumination technology. And if that would be not mind blowing: with expert and loving guidance from TinkRWorks instructors, the young padawans programmed all the effects themselves, including movie like ignition, swings, clashes, blade lockups etc., in TinkRworks summer camps!

When I got contacted by Gil, one of TinkRworks' instructors who was interested in how the DIYino Prime boards work, I did not know that a mere few months later a new generation of Jedi padawans will program them up with expert guidance from the TinkRworks team (Home page - TinkRworks). It is by far the best way to show kids how electronics work, teach them about engineering science and let them have a lot of fun in doing so!

I can well imagine that such an experience to hold a saber prop you've built as a kid all yourself will have a lasting positive effect on these kids, in a few years we migth see them on this forum bringing in new and fresh ideas!

I envy you guys in the States, I wish we had in Europe such groups dedicated to teach the youth!

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
Re: A New Generation of Saber Smiths
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2017, 06:29:05 PM »
This is one of those things that makes you feel like all of the hard work is worth it!

Offline Obi_1

• Mining Colony Members
  • Experienced Force User
  • Creator of DIYino - first open source FX-board
Re: A New Generation of Saber Smiths
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2017, 04:55:35 AM »
Exactly, and I really admire these guys, they have a lot of other projects as well, building drones, small hovercrafts, rockets etc. Amazing! They made a lot of preparations to make it happen, including developing a graphical programming language extenstion to Arduino to make it easier for the kids to understand all those difficult to grasp control structures.

I will ask the guy at TinkRworks if it's OK with him if I post pics of the class working on their sabers, they are totally cute as they program/assemble their sabers with utter concentration. Probably we also look similar when we do the job, just a wee bit older :)

retrousse