fiduciary

Author Topic: Activation Switch Color  (Read 2186 times)

Offline Danakin

• No Force
Activation Switch Color
« on: July 13, 2017, 07:41:19 AM »
Hey guys,
     Quick question that I can't seem to find an answer for. I'm looking into purchasing my first VV saber and I am going to go with the RGB option. That being said, I'm not entirely sure what I should get for the Activation switch color. As I can have different colors at any given time, a single color for the activation switch will not always match the blade color. Is there an option that most people go with in this situation, or is it kind of a "whatever you think might look best" kind of scenario?
So what I told you was true...from a certain point of view

Offline SharkyMcShark

• Force User
  • Um...Hello?
Re: Activation Switch Color
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2017, 09:58:14 AM »
Hey guys,
     Quick question that I can't seem to find an answer for. I'm looking into purchasing my first VV saber and I am going to go with the RGB option. That being said, I'm not entirely sure what I should get for the Activation switch color. As I can have different colors at any given time, a single color for the activation switch will not always match the blade color. Is there an option that most people go with in this situation, or is it kind of a "whatever you think might look best" kind of scenario?

I've seen them do Combat Class sabers with RGB colour matching switches before that will match whatever colour your blade is set to. I'm aware it's not an option on their order form. I think you have to contact them direct.

Offline Danakin

• No Force
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2017, 11:51:16 AM »
Hey guys,

I've seen them do Combat Class sabers with RGB colour matching switches before that will match whatever colour your blade is set to. I'm aware it's not an option on their order form. I think you have to contact them direct.

That's great to hear! I was honestly hoping for something like that but wasn't counting on it. Thank you!
So what I told you was true...from a certain point of view

Offline Obi_1

• Mining Colony Members
  • Experienced Force User
  • Creator of DIYino - first open source FX-board
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2017, 07:08:22 AM »
If you have a board capable of RGB, you can modify a switch to include a smaller, say 5mm LED connected parallel to the blade leds to match alwaya the color of the blade, much like you would do for a crystal chamber. Else if your board has 6 channels or some I/Os to spare, you can drive the switch led independently. Finally, if you make a neopixel build, you have full flexibility to do with the color as you please.

Offline koonfasa

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2017, 04:11:40 AM »
Thanks! I was just asking VV about this, because I was interested in getting one with non-matching lights. Means they must be hardwired in parallel and not worth putting it on another channel.

However with neopixels, does that mean you can control every individual "pixel" whereever they are located on the saber?

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2017, 05:25:22 AM »
In principle, yes, but you can't independently control anything unless the board you are using supports it.

Offline Obi_1

• Mining Colony Members
  • Experienced Force User
  • Creator of DIYino - first open source FX-board
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2017, 04:17:55 AM »
Thanks! I was just asking VV about this, because I was interested in getting one with non-matching lights. Means they must be hardwired in parallel and not worth putting it on another channel.

However with neopixels, does that mean you can control every individual "pixel" whereever they are located on the saber?

As jbkuma rightly said, in principle yes. If all the pixels are connected serially, one can program it by allocating pixel segments to modules. This is what I do for my blaster builds. There I have segments like:
- PLI (5-8 pixels, mainly determined by the size of the new Adafruit pixel sticks, awesome stuff!)
- barrel (depends on your blaster size, usually ~30)
- nozzle (1 or 2, but can be more)
In the code you just need to define the order of the segments (like barrel is wired after PLI) and the sizes of the individual segments. This way the whole code becomes flexible to handle different sizes.

The same could be implemented for sabers:
- blade (obvious)
- optional cross-guard, this is how I control the quill segments in the newest FX-SaberOS release
- PLI
- button pixel(s)

Of course you need a board and a system code to support such module segments.

retrousse