fiduciary

Author Topic: My humble beginning: Graflex 2.0 w/ NBv4  (Read 1386 times)

Offline SA22C

• No Force
  • Don't Panic
My humble beginning: Graflex 2.0 w/ NBv4
« on: June 21, 2017, 09:08:02 AM »
I've lusted after my own replica lightsaber for a few years now and I finally took the plunge a month ago.  Now, it's complete.

Specs
Scratch/Dent Graflex 2.0 kit from TCSS
Tri-Cree B-B-W
Solo's Hold 18650
NBv4
Bass Speaker
ShadyCanuck thick-walled 7/8 blade
Order 66 Chassis (mix of Rebel main and holocron shell)
My own crystal chamber.  It's crude but I really wanted to make it myself.

Because I really wanted a white-blue blade, I'm running all three dies with focmix rather than on-top foc.  The result is a pale blue/white blade that photographs beautifully and is bright in person.  On clash, the blade dents to white and flickers quite nicely.

First up, test fitting my CC (made from hard drive bits and a couple of scavanged quartz crystals)

Installed in the saber, along with the outer shell

I didn't install a CC LED yet, I'm waiting on the proper resistors in the mail.

And the blade

All-in-all, I'm pretty happy with it.  I'd never done any small-scale soldering before and it was much tougher than I expected.  My first attempt ended in letting all the magic smoke out of the board, but I was undeterred and the new install worked great.  I also really love the imperfections in finish on the scratch-dent kit and I'm thinking of some additional light weathering to make this look like the old and well-used weapon that it is.  I know this doesn't compare to the works of art that I've been inspired by on this board, but I made it and I'm pretty proud. 

Thanks to everyone who contributed their build threads, tips and pictures.  It's been inspiring.

Offline EXAR KUN

• SITH/EMPIRE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as SpaceWindu
    • My YouTube channel: youtube.com/spacewindu
Re: My humble beginning: Graflex 2.0 w/ NBv4
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2017, 10:47:03 AM »
Great job. I, too, like the BBW when all the die are on. Looks more like the 'white core' from the movies to me

Offline Thexter

• Force User
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2017, 09:12:41 PM »
That's a good looking graflex!

My eyes aren't what they used to be, but I don't see many scratches or dents on your "scratch and dent" kit. Good use of the HD parts on the crystal chamber. I like multi-crystal chambers.

Offline SA22C

• No Force
  • Don't Panic
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2017, 07:04:35 AM »
That's a good looking graflex!

My eyes aren't what they used to be, but I don't see many scratches or dents on your "scratch and dent" kit. Good use of the HD parts on the crystal chamber. I like multi-crystal chambers.

Yeah, I ordered it half-expecting huge flaws but the only thing that's 'wrong' is that there are some sanding marks on one side of the emitter and the top of the clamp. There were also some nicks in the upper hilt, but I wasn't looking for perfect, so I was happy to save the $50. I'm thinking of some light weathering as well, just to fully commit to the old and used nature of this lightsaber.

Offline Meatsweats

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2017, 03:44:03 PM »
Well done. I'm going to be starting my flex soon and I'm going to keep in mind running all three dies at the same time like you did, looks great!

Offline darthgrant

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2017, 03:42:04 PM »
nice chassis

retrousse