fiduciary

Author Topic: tri-cree LED config for a dual color saber?  (Read 1254 times)

Offline darthmurmur

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
tri-cree LED config for a dual color saber?
« on: June 12, 2017, 02:17:08 PM »
I am trying to figure out the color for the LED on the tri-cree module.

one is for the flash on clash, but then the other 2 should be a single color, otherwise the blade won't be bright enough.

How can I have the sword with 2 colors (say green and red) and flash on clash? I did search around but can't find an answer. I just see that if I get RGB LEDs I can have any color, but not sure about brightness and flash on clash.

Offline profezzorn

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • May the source be with you.
    • Hubbe's Corner
Re: tri-cree LED config for a dual color saber?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2017, 02:28:03 PM »
It really depends on the capabilities of board that is driving the LEDs.
Assuming the doesn't limit what you can do, an RGB led will let you choose basically any color for the blade and clash, but brightness will be less for some colors. A blue-blue-white star will generally have two LEDs on, while an RGB star will only have two LEDs on if you chooise cyan, yellow or purple colors. For red, green and blue, only one LED will be on.

My particular solution to this problem is to make it possible to swap the LEDs out, like so: LED star adapter

As for weather an RGB star is "bright enough", well, only you can answer that question. Personally I find that my string blade with 100 half-watt LED in it is still not bright enough, so I'm probably not the right person to ask. :)

Offline darthmurmur

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
Re: tri-cree LED config for a dual color saber?
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2017, 02:38:55 PM »
Thanks for the reply; sadly I can't answer about the brightness, because if I don't have an example of how does the blade look like with the various setup, I can't really test it before buy the tri creed board.

As driver I am planning to use a Nano Biscotte V4; I was going for a 2 led for the main color and one for the white clash; although since I am spending time building the whole thing, I would like the flexibility to switch to at least 2 colors :)
Swapping led is not a bad idea, but it would take some time to get that done on the fly; so I would rather leave the internals be once done, to minimize breakage

retrousse