fiduciary

Author Topic: Any tips on carrying saber blades around conventions?  (Read 2817 times)

Offline SirRawThunderMan

• Master Force User
  • Very, Very English Poster
Any tips on carrying saber blades around conventions?
« on: May 27, 2017, 01:04:21 PM »
I went to a small local con earlier today. By popular demand of the people I went with, I took my Saber II and its blade along with me. That ended up being a mistake, because I had to walk from my flat to the con, around the floor for a few hours, then back home, while lugging a cardboard poster tube with a DIY shoulder strap made of duck tape around with me.

So, that's got me thinking. How do people carry their sabers around with them, especially for things like conventions? The hilts are easy enough, but having to lug about 36" of polycarbonate is a bit of a pain.
Better late than never.

Offline oswaldkefo

• Force User
  • aka MandaloreLives
Re: Any tips on carrying saber blades around conventions?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2017, 03:01:30 PM »
Vaders Vault offers a ring to keep the hilt (with the blade installed) on your hip. A bit medieval, but it works. store.vadersvault.com/leather-saber-holder-full-saber/

Other than that, I have only see various methods of the poster-tube. There was a member who just posted a prototype roll-up dueling blade that was pretty sweet. But i think we are a ways away from that.

I came here to conquer the galaxy and drink milk...and I've finished my milk.

Offline Guylo Ren

• Padawan Learner
  • Hi to all,dark side & light alike!
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2017, 03:59:52 PM »
Funnily enough I was discussing this only the other day.This idea is only relevant if you're going in costume of course,but robes are a great place to hide blades while carrying the hilt on your belt.Some cosplayers actually have hidden long 'pockets' fashioned into the inner lining of their robes- this obviously means the robe won't flow as naturally in one place,but as with most things it's a compromise.I'm gonna be doing a full Kylo for cons at some point,so this is an issue which I too shall be facing!  :rolleyes:e

Offline WEDGE ANTILLES

• formerly known as Cobalt60
  • FX-SABERS VIP II
  • Master Force User
  • May the LAG be with you
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 06:55:04 AM by WEDGE ANTILLES »
"The Star Wars story is really the tragedy of Darth Vader. That is the story.
Once Vader dies, he doesn't come back to life, the Emperor doesn't get cloned, and Luke doesn't get married..."
- George Lucas

Offline Wildcard

• Master Force User
  • This is an ex-parrot.
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2017, 02:23:12 PM »
I like Wedge's fishing rod case option, ^.

I've also seen people use variation of plastic "Art/Document tubes". These vary substantially in length & diameter, from 30" up to 60" sizes, including expanding versions, etc. (Be sure to check the sizes if going with one of these solutions.)

An example "Art/Document tube" (this specific one expands up to 40"):
Amazon.com: Plastic Storage Art Tube - Store & Carry Documents, Blueprints,

Offline SirRawThunderMan

• Master Force User
  • Very, Very English Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2017, 12:39:17 AM »
This idea is only relevant if you're going in costume of course,but robes are a great place to hide blades while carrying the hilt on your belt.Some cosplayers actually have hidden long 'pockets' fashioned into the inner lining of their robes- this obviously means the robe won't flow as naturally in one place,but as with most things it's a compromise.

I do really like that pocket-in-robe idea. I'm not a cosplayer myself, though (tried it, I just don't look the part. I do a convincing Hagrid, but as a Jedi I look like someone handed a lightsaber to one of the background extras from Vikings. Or one of Peter Jackson's LOTR cameos, but with a lightsaber :cheesy:) but I think that's a darn clever way to do it. Also, there's endless potential for "is that a lightsaber blade in your pocket, or are you just pleased to see me"

I like Wedge's fishing rod case option, ^.

I've also seen people use variation of plastic "Art/Document tubes". These vary substantially in length & diameter, from 30" up to 60" sizes, including expanding versions, etc. (Be sure to check the sizes if going with one of these solutions.)

I was thinking of one of those, actually. One of my best mates does archery, and he's got an extra long one of those for his longbow and arrows. It's a bit bulky for just the one blade, though. Although I guess that at a con, I might be buying posters and needing some place to put them. I think the fishing rod tube does take it, though.
Better late than never.

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2017, 05:47:44 AM »
I use an expandable document tube. It's also convenient to storing blades at home and carrying as luggage.

retrousse