fiduciary

Author Topic: "Force feedback motor"?  (Read 1724 times)

Offline eryqtx

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
"Force feedback motor"?
« on: April 04, 2017, 07:59:35 AM »
Hi, I have seen a couple mentions of a "force feedback motor." Sounds intriguing, can someone tell me what that is exactly, and if it's what it sounds like, why all lightsabers don't have them?
Thanks!

Offline JANGO FETT

• Owner of Kilsythe Customs
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
    • Youtube channel
Re: "Force feedback motor"?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2017, 10:39:23 AM »
It's a small motor, either cell phone size or larger that is running in parallel to the blade or speaker. It makes the hilt vibrate a little.

the downside is:
  • Less power for sound and light
  • Can cause false swings from a soundboard
  • Can come loose inside a hilt and damage electronics
  • The motors themselves can just stop working

IMO, too much downside, and not enough reward.  A good 2W HB speaker with proper resonance chamber will serve the same function.

Have you heard the tragedy of Mark Hamill the Wise?

My thoughts and prayers to the padawans of Coruscant - Master Jeselnik

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 11:05:37 AM »
I know some really think this is essential to their saber experience, but I have never once thought to myself "boy, I wish my saber vibrated more."  There is also the items Jango mentioned. 

If you are wondering how to wire it, it's basically the same as an accent LED. 

Offline Cheule

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2017, 04:49:17 PM »
The moment you put it like that, it makes so much sense.  Thanks

It's a small motor, either cell phone size or larger that is running in parallel to the blade or speaker. It makes the hilt vibrate a little.

the downside is:
  • Less power for sound and light
  • Can cause false swings from a soundboard
  • Can come loose inside a hilt and damage electronics
  • The motors themselves can just stop working

IMO, too much downside, and not enough reward.  A good 2W HB speaker with proper resonance chamber will serve the same function.

Offline Greebles

• Formerly known as Codeweasel
  • Master Force User
  • “You must unlearn what you have learned.”
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2017, 07:42:23 PM »
I use rumble motors in many of my installs without any issues whatsoever. I prefer wiring it with the FoC to add a bit of extra zing during blaster effects and lockup. The battery usage is VERY small, about the same as an accent LED (20mA-80mA). Placement is best when forward in the hilt, mounted on a separate chassis from the soundboard. It will not trigger false swings if done this way. With proper tuning and wired to FoC it is a VERY nice addition.

-Denzil

Offline Obi_1

• Mining Colony Members
  • Experienced Force User
  • Creator of DIYino - first open source FX-board
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2017, 06:37:56 AM »
I used in some of my builds rumbling motors and they do add to the experience. Basically they are same or similar to the ones used in cell phones to make them buzz. It also clearly means that they are neither big nor do they eat much energy. In fact you can drive them without a driver, they can be driven off a simple digital I/O if you grap the right kind.

So far I never faced any issue with triggering false swings and clashes, but alas the FX-SaberOS running on my DIYino boards have a gesture detection algorithm which is not easy to fool  :cheesy:

All that said I agree wholeheartedly to Jango's comment that a good 2W bass speaker will cause enough vibration to replace such a buzz motor! That is why I love these speakers!!! Bad thing they are sooo hard to come by...

retrousse