fiduciary

Author Topic: Question on Fonts  (Read 2489 times)

Offline Jyn-Toar

• No Force
  • I can fly anything...
Question on Fonts
« on: February 14, 2017, 11:27:31 AM »
Hello all!

Recently I purchased a soundfont from Saberfont with the intent of modifying it to better suit my tastes.  I'm running a Mac with Audacity.  After downloading the font, I imported the files into Audacity, made my modifications (adding an extra layer of hum to everything) and exported the files without any metadata in mono 22050 .wav form.  I then took the files and ran them through Switch to convert them to mono 22050 16 bits per sample .wav form and saved them.  After doing this, I added the updated font to my microSD, using all of the correct formatting requirements and keeping the correct config file.  When I put the card back in the saber, I get the boot sound, but when I power up the saber, no light and only a very faint, high-pitched humming that tells me the speaker is running.  I have to power the saber down by holding down the button (even though there's no sound or light) before switching fonts.  So the files are there and nothing is missing, but something is clearly not right.  The original font works completely fine, but my modified version is having issues.  Did I miss anything that might be throwing things off?

Thanks.
Run with perseverance the race marked out...

Offline IceSaber

• Experienced Force User
  • Midi-chlorians..
Re: Question on Fonts
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 11:39:11 AM »
Why don't you just e port them to 16bit wav from audacity?

Offline Jyn-Toar

• No Force
  • I can fly anything...
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2017, 11:45:57 AM »
I tried that as well  :tongue:  Still nothing.

Offline MikeyX

• Force User
  • Star Wars collector in the UK.
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2017, 12:22:51 PM »
As you're on a Mac a few things:

Just to double check: right click on one of the sound files you modded and do a get info - does that have the right channels (1) and sample rate (22050) and Bits per sample (16).

Also to check that all the directories and filenames are in lower case.

Are you re-formatting the SD card each time before copying all the files across in one go each time you make a change? If not then do that.

Also on the Mac I have had weird problems when using the Mac Disk utility to format the SD card - I have had no problems since I started using the SD card association SDFormatter.

Offline Jyn-Toar

• No Force
  • I can fly anything...
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2017, 12:30:03 PM »
As you're on a Mac a few things:

Just to double check: right click on one of the sound files you modded and do a get info - does that have the right channels (1) and sample rate (22050) and Bits per sample (16).

Also to check that all the directories and filenames are in lower case.

Are you re-formatting the SD card each time before copying all the files across in one go each time you make a change? If not then do that.

Also on the Mac I have had weird problems when using the Mac Disk utility to format the SD card - I have had no problems since I started using the SD card association SDFormatter.

All the info is correct, and the directories and filenames are all lowercase.  I am reformatting each time before copying all the files at once.  I'm inclined to think this isn't a formatting issue with the card, as I have the original font in one bank and the modified font in another--I have moved them both at once to the reformatted card and the original works while the modified doesn't.

Offline MikeyX

• Force User
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2017, 12:48:56 PM »
From there would need to see the file structure and one or more of the files. Also the contents of the config files.

Offline Jyn-Toar

• No Force
  • I can fly anything...
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2017, 12:59:45 PM »
The config file is the standard Darkmeat config for NBv3.  Let me see if I can get a few of the files to you.

EDIT: I can't send them through PM.  Is there any way I could find the info you need and post it here, or could I email it to you?

Offline IceSaber

• Experienced Force User
  • Midi-chlorians..
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2017, 02:18:35 PM »
I just loaded one of those into audacity and it says 32 bit float. it needs to be 16 bit signed

Offline Jyn-Toar

• No Force
  • I can fly anything...
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2017, 05:43:04 PM »
Audacity automatically switches to 32 bit float.  The files in this post are all 16 bit PCM mono 22050hz and have the same specs displayed under "Get Info" as the original sound files.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n0vnlbc6gdg837u/clash2.wav?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/84lu0bc34r8pyf0/poweron2.wav?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bvm4w8oywzuy4pk/pwroff2.wav?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/68dv2b95h1vvo5v/swing4.wav?dl=0

Offline MikeyX

• Force User
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2017, 01:06:14 PM »
Haven't had much time - but did look at clash2.wav. The file looks a bit small at 4Kb - sure enough if I export it from Audacity as a standard 16 bit wav the file size is 35Kb.

Did you somehow save it as a compressed wav file? The content needs to be raw uncompressed LPCM.

Offline Jyn-Toar

• No Force
  • I can fly anything...
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2017, 05:34:01 PM »
The original files were exported in ACM format for use on mobile phones and the like.  Lord Blako helped me out and I was able to export them in the proper format.  It was a compressed format, but the issue has thankfully been resolved.  Thanks for all the help!  :smiley:

retrousse