fiduciary

Author Topic: Star Wars Episode VIII The Last Jedi  (Read 19556 times)

Offline The Force Is Strong

• Force User
Star Wars Episode VIII The Last Jedi
« on: January 23, 2017, 09:32:36 AM »
Episode VIII finally has a name, The Last Jedi (TLJ). Article below. Any thoughts?

And the official title of 'Star Wars: Episode VIII' is... - Jan. 23, 2017

Offline Guylo Ren

• Padawan Learner
  • Hi to all,dark side & light alike!
Re: Star Wars Episode VIII The Last Jedi
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 09:52:20 AM »
Only just found out!Very evocative title,love it,can only hope for a proper teaser soon!Doubt it'll bear any resemblance to the novel of the same name as the new trilogy isn't building on the EU,but it's a wonderfully strong title regardless!  :grin:

Offline WEDGE ANTILLES

• formerly known as Cobalt60
  • FX-SABERS VIP II
  • Master Force User
  • May the LAG be with you
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 06:16:23 PM »
"The Last Samurai ..?"  whut? (I think it's been done already) :(

--> let the Tom Cruise Memes begin!  :cool:
"The Star Wars story is really the tragedy of Darth Vader. That is the story.
Once Vader dies, he doesn't come back to life, the Emperor doesn't get cloned, and Luke doesn't get married..."
- George Lucas

Offline Onli-Won Kanomi

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Knight Of Faith
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2017, 11:30:11 PM »
What does it mean though? Simply that at that point in time Luke is the 'last' Jedi [singular] UNTIL he trains Rey? Or that once he does they together will be the 'last' Jedi [plural] UNTIL he, she or they train others? Is it a 'snapshot in time' during which he or they are 'last' Jedi in the Galaxy THEN or is it more ominously a suggestion that Luke as 'last Jedi' before Rey found him might die in Ep. VIII, ENDING the Jedi forever if he alone is a trained Jedi at that moment? Or that if he has trained Rey when he dies that she might then become "last" unless/until she trains others, perhaps in Ep. IX?

Many possible "from a certain point of view" meanings of "last" - we'll know in December.
To DREAM the IMPOSSIBLE DREAM. To FIGHT the unbeatable foe. To BEAR with unbearable sorrow. To RUN where the brave dare not go. To RIGHT the unrightable wrong. To LOVE, PURE AND CHASTE, FROM AFAR [-sigh-]. To TRY, when your arms are too weary; to REACH the unreachable Star!... This is my Quest; To follow that Star, no matter how hopeless, no matter how far...

Offline Greenie

• Force User
  • Pew pew!!
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2017, 11:51:27 PM »
I think I like it but I was hoping for a four word title like AOTC and TESB

Offline WEDGE ANTILLES

• FX-SABERS VIP II
  • Master Force User
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2017, 10:08:13 AM »
what does it mean?  it means Luke will die.

as the movie begins, it refers to "Luke The Last Jedi", as this WILL be a movie about luke..   but when the movie is over, then the Last Jedi will be Rey.

she is the center of the trilogy, afterall.   The Force Awakens in HER.   the last jedi is HER. 

-or-

when the movie is over, there will be no jedi at all.

ie:  the words "Star Wars" are done in red.    why red?   

--> Rey will turn.    Luke will be the last jedi, because his padawan becomes a sith.   and yea .. he dies.   either way.  "last jedi" and all that.

(they revealed the ending by this title : either way , Luke dies ---  either Luke is, in fact, the "Last Jedi" (which means there will be no more after him, he will die, and take the JEdi Order with him to the grave, thus becoming the Last Jedi Ever) ; or Rey becomes the "last jedi" by the end of the movie (which means: Luke is dead, either way).
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 10:12:26 AM by WEDGE ANTILLES »
Once Vader dies, he doesn't come back to life, the Emperor doesn't get cloned, and Luke doesn't get married..."
- George Lucas

Offline WEDGE ANTILLES

• FX-SABERS VIP II
  • Master Force User
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2017, 10:17:06 AM »
I still can't believe they changed only a single word from a recognizable movie title.

"The Last Samurai?"   the JEdi Knights were based on old samurai movies.   

it seems very careless.   and very unoriginal.   I never expected this from Star Wars.  :sad:

it's like "The Wrath Of Kylo" , or "Star Wars The Next Generation" , or "Raiders of the Lost JediTemple" , or "Rise of the Planet of the Jedi".

it's only ONE WORD AWAY from a recognizable movie title.  :sad:
- George Lucas

Offline Onli-Won Kanomi

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Knight Of Faith
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2017, 11:55:11 AM »

Episode IV is three words; A New Hope so it is still within 'traditional' parameters.
To DREAM the IMPOSSIBLE DREAM. To FIGHT the unbeatable foe. To BEAR with unbearable sorrow. To RUN where the brave dare not go. To RIGHT the unrightable wrong. To LOVE, PURE AND CHASTE, FROM AFAR [-sigh-]. To TRY, when your arms are too weary; to REACH the unreachable Star!... This is my Quest; To follow that Star, no matter how hopeless, no matter how far...

Offline Onli-Won Kanomi

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Knight Of Faith
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2017, 12:10:36 PM »
what does it mean?  it means Luke will die.

as the movie begins, it refers to "Luke The Last Jedi", as this WILL be a movie about luke..   but when the movie is over, then the Last Jedi will be Rey.

she is the center of the trilogy, afterall.   The Force Awakens in HER.   the last jedi is HER. 

-or-

when the movie is over, there will be no jedi at all.

ie:  the words "Star Wars" are done in red.    why red?   

--> Rey will turn.    Luke will be the last jedi, because his padawan becomes a sith.   and yea .. he dies.   either way.  "last jedi" and all that.

(they revealed the ending by this title : either way , Luke dies ---  either Luke is, in fact, the "Last Jedi" (which means there will be no more after him, he will die, and take the JEdi Order with him to the grave, thus becoming the Last Jedi Ever) ; or Rey becomes the "last jedi" by the end of the movie (which means: Luke is dead, either way).

But since the word "Jedi" can be plural the modifier "Last" can also be plural in the same sense that "The Last Buffalo" could be one surviving buffalo or the only surviving HERD of buffalo; Last Jedi could logically refer to Luke OR Rey at different times but also conceivably Luke AND Rey collectively at the same time, which could be the beginning or the end of the movie or both; thus no one NECESSARILY needs to die, though it is certainly possible, and perhaps likely; The RED logo does seem to suggest ominous foreshadowing.

Offline Greenie

• Force User
  • Pew pew!!
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2017, 01:00:12 PM »

Episode IV is three words; A New Hope so it is still within 'traditional' parameters.

No. The first episode of each trilogy is three words, the second and third should all be four words. 
TPM.   ATOC.    ROTS
ANH.   TESB.    ROTJ
TFA.    TLJ_.      ____   
Even George Lucas coulda got that right.  :tongue:

Offline Onli-Won Kanomi

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Knight Of Faith
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2017, 03:05:56 PM »
Hmmm...I never realized that about the different trilogies DOH on me eh? but yes you are right!

Let's hope they don't break with too many other SW movie traditions; like the second film in a trilogy always being the best...oh waitaminute... ;) lol

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2017, 03:42:38 PM »
Rey and/or Luke meet the last living properly trained Jedi.  Perhaps someone from outside the council or outside of the judiciary/military faction that rose to galactic power.

Offline TrypWyr

• Master Force User
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2017, 04:38:45 PM »
it's like "The Wrath Of Kylo" , or "Star Wars The Next Generation" , or "Raiders of the Lost JediTemple" , or "Rise of the Planet of the Jedi".

it's only ONE WORD AWAY from a recognizable movie title.  :sad:

The Saint Strikes Back (1939)
The Return of the Pink Panther (1975)
The Phantom (1943)
Attack of the Killer Tomatoes! (1978)
Revenge of the Nerds (1984)
Paris Awakens (1991)

Seems to me that Star Wars has been ripping off movies titles since the beginning!  :cheesy:

Offline WEDGE ANTILLES

• FX-SABERS VIP II
  • Master Force User
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2017, 06:23:47 PM »
point taken  :laugh:
- George Lucas

Offline Scruffy Nerf Herder

• #1 supporter of Jar Jar for EPVII main lead character
  • Master Force User
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2017, 07:33:56 AM »
I wholeheartedly disagree that Luke will die in Ep VII.  The "last Jedi" is apropos as Luke is really the last person in existence who is trained in the Jedi arts (as far as we know).  Rey is not a Jedi, she is "force sensitive" or a "force user" until she is trained in the Jedi way.

Also, remember that Snoke specifically called Luke "the last Jedi" in TFA.

retrousse