fiduciary

Author Topic: LSOS v1.4 - how to make a high-end saber with only a single switch?  (Read 17384 times)

Offline JakeSoft

• Experienced Force User
  • The Arduino Jedi
    • Universal Saber Library
Re: LSOS v1.4 - how to make a high-end saber with only a single switch?
« Reply #60 on: July 29, 2017, 06:20:00 AM »
I have a few questions about the FX-saberOS (or LSOS).

1)   Has FX-saberOS replaced LSOS or do you now have two branches that evolve?
2)   Is there any inconvenience of first running the calibration sketch, then uploading the FX-sabersOS, and accordingly having everything prepared before actually wiring the board?
3)   I haven’t yet decided if I use one or two buttons. Is there any downside to the single-button option?

1) Yes. AFAIK, LightsaberOS is EOL and FX-SaberOS is the current standard open source software for DYIino.
2) No problem there. In fact, that's how you are supposed to do it. I made a YouTube video about how to do this (you can ignore the part about USaber if you are using LightSaberOS/FX-SaberOS, but the basics are the same). DIYino / MPU6050 Calibration - YouTube
3) It's personal preference. I personally find two buttons easier for some things, but one button is obviously easier to wire and design for.

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
« Reply #61 on: July 29, 2017, 08:19:07 AM »
FX will essentially be LSOS 2.0. We have a number of reasons for relaunching with the new name.

2- I recommend doing just that.

3- they both work nicely, 2 button is a bit more flexible I generally prefer it.

Offline Sincenatic

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #62 on: July 29, 2017, 08:49:55 AM »
Perfect. Thanks for the clarifications!

Offline Obi_1

• Mining Colony Members
  • Experienced Force User
  • Creator of DIYino - first open source FX-board
« Reply #63 on: July 29, 2017, 10:28:43 AM »
Hey William, nice to see you back on the Forum! I hope to see some LED string sabers from your saber-smithy! Jake and jbkuma wrote it all, there is nothing to add to it.

Offline Sincenatic

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #64 on: July 30, 2017, 12:28:43 PM »
I actually have the LED-string done since a long time ago, but after that I haven’t been that productive. I hope to make same good progress during the vacation. I have to say that I admire your persistency! JakeSoft, I saw the tutorial on calibration and the soundfont converter will also be very useful. Thanks!

Offline Sincenatic

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #65 on: August 11, 2017, 07:11:34 AM »
I have now made the calibration and the tutorial was very useful. I just want to add two comments for those of you that will do this in the future:

1) If no serial port is detected, install the drivers that come with the arduino software. (You can search “installing arduino drivers” on Youtube too see how this is done).

2) I initially got noise-characters instead of the text “Send any character to start sketch”. I thought the default baud was the correct, but this was not the case. Try different, until the correct text appears. 

I know that these comments may seem obvious, but since I had some problems, someone else may too. The soundfont conversion was very easy to use; so, thanks!

I have started to use FX-SaberOS and I have a few doubts.

1) In config_HW.h I defined; DIYINO_PRIME, SINGLEBUTTON and LEDSTRINGS. I wanted to comment-out ACCENT_LED and BATTERY_CHECK since I am not going to use these, but the sketch did not compile correctly. If I leave them defined it compiles and I can upload the sketch. Is there any problem to use the DIYino without these “hardware related” features if they are “defined” in the code?

2) If I only have two sound fonts, is it necessary to change SOUNDFONT_QUANTITY in sound.h to “2”, or is it enough to only prepare the SD-card with only the two fonts?

3) In LSOS the ordering of copying the files and the numbering were very important. Is this the case for FX-SaberOS too? In the SD-card example, each drawer has the files ordered with names as 001_xxx, 002_xxx and so on. Is this enough, or should the numbers continue so that the files in Saber_JukeBox starts with 020_xxx (given that ConfigSounds contains 19 files). When I copy the files should I start with ConfigSounds, Saber_JukeBox, Soundfont1 and then Soundfont2? (In particularly I want someone to confirm that Saber_JukeBox comes after ConfigSounds).

Thanks!

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
« Reply #66 on: August 11, 2017, 08:28:27 AM »
2) I initially got noise-characters instead of the text “Send any character to start sketch”. I thought the default baud was the correct, but this was not the case. Try different, until the correct text appears.
You'll find the baud rate in the serial initialization routine in the setup section.

I have started to use FX-SaberOS and I have a few doubts.
It is very much pre-release stage in the moment.

1) In config_HW.h I defined; DIYINO_PRIME, SINGLEBUTTON and LEDSTRINGS. I wanted to comment-out ACCENT_LED and BATTERY_CHECK since I am not going to use these, but the sketch did not compile correctly. If I leave them defined it compiles and I can upload the sketch. Is there any problem to use the DIYino without these “hardware related” features if they are “defined” in the code?
It won't hurt anything.

2) If I only have two sound fonts, is it necessary to change SOUNDFONT_QUANTITY in sound.h to “2”, or is it enough to only prepare the SD-card with only the two fonts?
Yes.  Your configuration should match the load out in your SD card.  If the number of fonts is wrong it may not be as big of a deal, it might just "play" empty sound, but it could lead to unexpected results.

3) In LSOS the ordering of copying the files and the numbering were very important. Is this the case for FX-SaberOS too? In the SD-card example, each drawer has the files ordered with names as 001_xxx, 002_xxx and so on. Is this enough, or should the numbers continue so that the files in Saber_JukeBox starts with 020_xxx (given that ConfigSounds contains 19 files). When I copy the files should I start with ConfigSounds, Saber_JukeBox, Soundfont1 and then Soundfont2? (In particularly I want someone to confirm that Saber_JukeBox comes after ConfigSounds).
The copying order is important, the files don't have to be continuously numbered in either LSOS or FXSOS (unless they are all in one folder).  The config files have been simplified, but it works fundamentally the same way.  You can drag the folders over one by one to get them in the order you want.  They are intentionally created in alphabetical order by default to make this easier.  Con..., Sab..., Sou..1, Sou..2, etc.

Offline Sincenatic

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #67 on: August 11, 2017, 08:41:52 AM »
Perfect. Thanks for the quick and clear answers!

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
« Reply #68 on: August 11, 2017, 12:34:15 PM »
Perfect. Thanks for the quick and clear answers!

Obi_1(aka protonerd/Andras) and I have been really busy with other projects so the FX release has taken a lot longer than we originally anticipated.  It's also taking huge steps towards making LSOS more user friendly and easier to configure.  My saber has some wiring issues I haven't had time to fix so I haven't even been able to test Andras's latest release.  After summer I think we'll both have more time to work on this again. 

Offline Sincenatic

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #69 on: August 15, 2017, 07:34:39 AM »
I ran into some problems with FX-SaberOS;

1) The main problem is: “LED string light up (and withdraws with a long click), but no sound”. The speaker has resistance and I even changed it for another one.

2) If I have “#define DEEP_SLEEP”, I get the message:” 'class DFPlayer' has no member named 'sleep'” when I compile. I have a killkey, so I just commented out that line.

3) If I have “#define JUKEBOX”, I get the message:” 'pixels' was not declared in this scope”.  Maybe the jukebox was tested for neopixels and never for LED-string, or? It do compile if I comment away this line, but I am not sure if I should exclude the jukebox drawer from the SD-card and set NR_JUKEBOXSONGS to 0.

Do you have any ideas to solve these issues, in particularly the first?

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
« Reply #70 on: August 15, 2017, 08:49:14 AM »
1) not sure what you are getting at here

2) yes, that should be commented out (or deleted) for some reason it doesn't fault for Andras and always does for me.

3) I'm not sure here.. I haven't been able to test the latest build Andras posted. If (MAJOR if) I get some time this week I'll take a look at that if Andras doesn't chime in (he's currently touring our lovely National Parks).

Offline Sincenatic

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #71 on: August 16, 2017, 03:39:42 AM »
Thanks in advance. The problem in 1) is that it is permanently muted. I don’t know where the problem is; reading from SD card, playing sound... etc.

Offline Sincenatic

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #72 on: August 16, 2017, 01:19:19 PM »
An update: I went back to LSOS with another SD-card (that I have used before) and now I have sound. I still have not tried LSOS v1.4 with Single Button. Another option is to wire another button (which I actually can do!).

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
« Reply #73 on: August 16, 2017, 01:48:56 PM »
You can try the official SD formatter. I have it linked in the FX-SaberOS wiki

Offline Sincenatic

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #74 on: August 17, 2017, 07:12:06 AM »
I can’t find the link that you refer to. In any case, I know that the SD-card is working. When I have LSOS and the config sounds and soundfont without drawers it works. When I change to FX-SaberOS and copy (i.e drag and drop) drawer by drawer to the SD card I have no sound. I have tried both with and without the jukebox drawer (since I have it disabled in the code). I always format the SD card before copying.

retrousse