fiduciary

Author Topic: 1st Lightsaber Build- ANH Graflex 2.0  (Read 9106 times)

Offline brthegreat117

• Master Force User
Re: 1st Lightsaber Build- ANH Graflex 2.0
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2016, 03:39:16 PM »
From what I understand the Graflex 2.0 shouldn't be dueled with, it's more of a show piece. That goes with the 7/8" socket the 2.0  has as well. But VV blades are bright regardless. Clear with a shine through tip and you're good to go.
I believe the 7/8s is used for original trilogy accuracy, since the way the film was edited it seemed to be thin.

Offline brthegreat117

• Master Force User
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2016, 07:50:45 PM »
Post Updated
2x-Graflex Replica Thumbscrews from the Graflex Shop (1 for ANH and 1 for VV Flex ESB)
1x-Eye Glass Replica Thumbscrew from Graflex Shop (Will be compared with TCSS)
Pictures will be taken once those parts arrive.

Offline erlomd

• Experienced Force User
  • "Fog Machines & Lightsaber Reys"
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2016, 06:51:19 AM »
Thanks!
Same, but it's my mom lol. I always have to tell her packages are coming while I am in college. Even though I have most of the parts. I still have more packages coming.
You should have seen my Dad's face when my Gibson Les Paul arrived. It was hilarious!
Anyways, the only thing I have left to buy is probably an activation switch holder that I saw on the IRA for the pressure activation on the clamp, and a VV 7/8 blade.
When you get the VV 7/8 inch blade could you tell me how durable it is, how bright, etc. I'm just curious in case I decide to build a Graflex sometime in the future.

I got the 7/8" VV blade and its awesome! it looks pretty sturdy but I wouldn't duel with it...maybe if you want to duel, get yourself a cheaper blade that you don't mind getting knicks and scratches on...VV blades are very durable, but they have more prep work done to get the light to shine brighter and more evenly distributed than other blades...its also a bit more expensive for the same reasons...so, IMO I wouldn't duel with it...maybe some playful clashes here and there, but nothing like shameem going at it with a tree! (if you haven't seen the video, look it up...its entertaining and informative!)

Offline TheSaberCore

• Force User
  • Every saber has a core.
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2016, 10:24:41 AM »
Thanks for the replies, both informative. I probably wouldn't duel with it much but I'm still far off from getting one (gonna grab a VV Luke ROTJ first). And yes, I've seen Shameem's videos lol.

I'm interested in seeing this completed build, if you could post as many pictures as you can brthegreat that would be sweet lol. I want to see the goth chassis.
"Luke."

"The Belonging you seek is not behind you, it is ahead."

Offline smaneesint

• Force User
  • You can call me Gibson. That's my nickname. ;)
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2016, 10:56:00 AM »
Thanks!
Same, but it's my mom lol. I always have to tell her packages are coming while I am in college. Even though I have most of the parts. I still have more packages coming.
You should have seen my Dad's face when my Gibson Les Paul arrived. It was hilarious!
Anyways, the only thing I have left to buy is probably an activation switch holder that I saw on the IRA for the pressure activation on the clamp, and a VV 7/8 blade.

I have (mistakenly) decided to get TCSS show blade because I didn't wanna pay too much on the shipping price by ordering the VV 7/8 blade and the TCSS blade turned out quite different from what I expected...it didn't come with a diffusion film inside. My bad for didn't read the description carefully.

I have seen so many reviews on the internet that confirm the quality of the VV blade I might actually buy it anyway, and maybe keep the TCSS blade for "show" only.

Offline smaneesint

• Force User
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2016, 11:01:19 AM »
Thanks!
When you get the VV 7/8 inch blade could you tell me how durable it is, how bright, etc. I'm just curious in case I decide to build a Graflex sometime in the future.

I got the 7/8" VV blade and its awesome! it looks pretty sturdy but I wouldn't duel with it...maybe if you want to duel, get yourself a cheaper blade that you don't mind getting knicks and scratches on...VV blades are very durable, but they have more prep work done to get the light to shine brighter and more evenly distributed than other blades...its also a bit more expensive for the same reasons...so, IMO I wouldn't duel with it...maybe some playful clashes here and there, but nothing like shameem going at it with a tree! (if you haven't seen the video, look it up...its entertaining and informative!)

I have seen his vids and gotta say the most impressive blade is YouKnow blade. Originally I was even gonna order the VV blade socket 1 inch converter to go with YouKnow V4, but since it ran out, VV has never restock it, so that idea of mine has gone impossible. Too bad.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 11:52:08 AM by smaneesint »

Offline brthegreat117

• Master Force User
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2016, 11:32:20 AM »
Please refrain from using that companies name. It is under the unmentionables. Just edit your post stating 'the other guys; and we'll know.
On the other hand, from all the videos I've seen. VVs look the best. The others lack the attention to detail.

Offline smaneesint

• Force User
    • Facebook
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2016, 11:55:47 AM »
Edited Thanks for the heads-up didn't realized about the unmentionables.

The VV blade might be for my next project. I'm buying some cellophane paper from my local store and gonna try this method: Luxeon type LED Blade Assembly Tutorial- (at least, how I do it!) since I didn't wanna waste the blade I already bought. I think this is gonna work something out.

Offline brthegreat117

• Master Force User
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2016, 12:10:21 PM »
No problem. Encountered that issue myself when I was new here. Their are 4 unmentionables lol.

Nice! I'm just gonna buy one of theirs for the time being.
Pretty excited to see how that turns out.

Offline brthegreat117

• Master Force User
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2016, 04:07:59 PM »
So my inserts came in today. They are perfect. From Grainger 4-40 Ultrasonic Inserts. $12 a bag of 100.

Offline smaneesint

• Force User
    • Facebook
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2016, 08:50:15 PM »
So my inserts came in today. They are perfect. From Grainger 4-40 Ultrasonic Inserts. $12 a bag of 100.

Those are beautiful nuts right there. Waiting to see how it turns out. :grin:

Offline brthegreat117

• Master Force User
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2016, 09:18:28 PM »
Thanks 'Deez Nutz' are truly amazing and beautiful  :angel: :cool:

Offline erlomd

• Experienced Force User
  • "Fog Machines & Lightsaber Reys"
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2016, 06:39:10 AM »
nice brass nuts!  :cheesy:

Offline brthegreat117

• Master Force User
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2016, 11:48:48 AM »
Wired the LED today. Was a pain in the xxx. Tried it out and it works, so I did it correctly.

Offline Spieguh

• Padawan Learner
  • A guy living in a place, doing things.
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2016, 01:33:58 PM »
Wired the LED today. Was a pain in the xxx. Tried it out and it works, so I did it correctly.

Did you use 28 or 30 awg? I'm still waiting on my wires from ebay but picked up some 30 awg from the local electronics store over the weekend and holy crap is it thin!

retrousse