fiduciary

Author Topic: Hampton's Hand-Crafted Lightsabers - Dueling Sabers?  (Read 13152 times)

Offline Choos

• Padawan Learner
  • Yep new
Hampton's Hand-Crafted Lightsabers - Dueling Sabers?
« on: April 03, 2015, 10:58:01 PM »
Hi all,

New here, just getting into the Lightsaber scene and have been trawling Youtube for videos reviews etc and came across Hampton's, I see he uses LEDs strung together in sequence up through the blade rather than installed in the lightsaber hilt itself which to me sounds a little less robust (not that I actually know.)

Seeing the Betrayal saber he made I was quite impressed with the final result, taken aback by the big red blade he stuck on then impressed again with the colour it offered.

Betrayal custom lightsaber - YouTube

Big question does anyone know if his Lightsabers are for dueling?

I know I could email him and ask but as I have just ordered some Sabers from other places I am not ready to commit to another high end custom saber as yet so don't want to give him a false sales lead (even though that red is sooo tempting.)

Offline bombarta

• Master Force User
  • Impressive..... most Impressive!
Re: Hampton's Hand-Crafted Lightsabers - Dueling Sabers?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2015, 02:51:50 AM »
Led string blades for duelling = no
He does make them without led string too. His sabers are normally very long too. Think the shortest I've seen is around 14 inches long.
I don't know, i gotta bad feeling about this!

Offline Choos

• Padawan Learner
  • Yep new
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2015, 05:04:25 AM »
Thanks Bombarta,

That is what I thought logically, I also posted the question to him on Youtube (OCD maybe) replying to the "Betrayal" video and he replied:
Mine are.  I can't speak for other string blades.  But I take a lot of care to make sure that mine are strong enough to withstand dueling.

That red blade when lit up looks great and extremely tempting to me, definitely on my watch list for next saber.

Offline bombarta

• Master Force User
  • Impressive..... most Impressive!
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2015, 06:02:03 AM »
You can take a chance but, i don't know anyone who will use a string blade for duelling. Other than light tapping to demonstrate sound clashes the leds and solder joints get damaged to easily in string blades if used to heavily.   Full on duelling can do some serious blade flexing and can also scratch and lose the end caps. There is a duelling section on this forum and the members who frequent it can confirm this i suspect. 
I don't know, i gotta bad feeling about this!

Offline Sethski

• Master Force User
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2015, 06:12:48 AM »
A string blade is never going to be as strong as a hollow blade, but they're certainly not fragile if well made.

Makoto has lots of videos of him and others dueling pretty heavily with string blades.

I've not duelled with my string blade V2, but I've given it a good work out whacking it very hard repeatedly back and forth against the insides of door frames to test that it could take it and it held up fine.

Offline JANGO FETT

• Owner of Kilsythe Customs
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2015, 07:41:26 AM »
Locking.

This is not a review. Please read the Stickied post, prior to posting.

Have you heard the tragedy of Mark Hamill the Wise?

My thoughts and prayers to the padawans of Coruscant - Master Jeselnik

retrousse