fiduciary

Author Topic: The non-martial arts  (Read 27784 times)

Offline Darth Cephalus

• Force User
  • Many tentacles the dark side has
    • My Youtube channel
Re: The non-martial arts
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2014, 09:51:52 PM »
Hello again sabering community. It has been a while since my last post, but I have been kicking around an idea that it might be time to present to the sabering community at large.

Simply put, most of us here tend to do our own things. We do choreographed fights, martial arts demos, spinning routines, costume work, etc. What if there was a way to get several of those things into one project that would showcase a wider picture of what we, as a community, do with lightsabers? 

What I am proposing is that anyone willing to volunteer, post a video (roughly 4 minutes long) in which they show us their saber work. You can choreograph a fight, you can give us spinning, you can film some freeform work, you can do it with lit or unlit blades, in costume or in plain clothes, outside, inside, or on green screen. I will edit this footage together (unless someone with more editing experience wants to take it over) into a single video.

The criteria:

1. For editing and theme purposes, the video should be designed to accompany this music (a download link for the mp3 is provided below the video so that you can load it onto a player). Please have the music playing so that I can hear it in the background for timing. If you record it without the music or while the music was playing through headphones, please attach the music track to it before you post.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=rf1U-YeGnRM

2. Your video must include a lightsaber and be something recognizable as "a performance".

3. Your content should not violate youtube or forum rules.

The details:

If you are interested, please post and say so. When you have a video, please post it here. I can rip things from youtube without a problem for editing. Please include the name or moniker you would like to appear in the credits. If you have a signature move, pose, or other brief trademark, please post it as a separate video or still image as you would like it to appear in the credits. If none is submitted, I will use a short clip from your routine. If you have a youtube channel or web link, post it and I will include it in the description. Please try to submit material as soon as you are able. I would like to start editing in mid December with a video release on Youtube around the first of the year.

Additional notes and disclaimers:

First off, this will happen. I have posted this call for videos on other forums and there are currently at least three of us on board. If it is just the three of us, so be it. It will not be like one of those fan fic pieces that gets planned and then abandoned. Second, don't expect a high budget production; expect a no budget production. My skills are minimal but should be enough to get the job done and I am working with basic editing software. If you have seen my other videos like the Jar'Kai Teaser, that is about the level of editing I am willing to commit. This is not a professional video and my channel is not monetized so there is no profit being made. This is by and for those who are willing to donate time and energy to make it happen. Third, If I am doing the editing, I will have to decide what makes it in and what does not. We are only working with 4 minutes. I will try to include everyone, and if too many people are interested to do that, I will try to make a second cut. If you have a favorite segment, feel free to let me know the time range and I will do what I can, but no promises. Other than that, feel free to discuss and ask questions if you wish. If there is anything I can do to help you put together a submission, let me know. Otherwise, happy sabering

Offline Darth Cephalus

• Force User
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2014, 06:08:36 PM »
A quick update.
The first entry was from Venturous on another forum. He works with saberstaff and submitted this.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFO1--xt-bo&feature=youtu.be

The second was from Darth CH3M15T on another forum. He does dual wield spins. His submission is here.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktlGGXtBHOg

I was waiting to see if the weather would cooperate for an outside video. Unfortunately things never shaped up. With a new storm starting today, I gave up and did it indoors. Since the other two entries covered dual wield and staff, I decided to focus on single saber. This is a little like what my typical practice sessions with that style look like. Contains flips, spins, and footwork. It starts out slow, but picks up speed about one minute in. I usually don't film these, focusing on stationary spins, tutorials or specific moves, but this seemed to fit the bill a bit better. Part of the training is learning not to knock things off the shelves.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCTSOjNVQ9c

There is still a bit of time if anyone here has or is working on a video, but only about a week as I have to have time to edit these together by new years.

Offline Xene

• Master Force User
  • Sup?
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2014, 08:28:38 PM »
I'd be interested, is there a time frame for submissions?

time to start practicing again xD
"What I lack in finesse I more than make up for in blanket ruination.."

Offline Darth Cephalus

• Force User
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2014, 08:30:52 PM »
A bit more than a week I would say. If you can get it in by the 20th, I should have enough time to get it into the edit.

Offline Xene

• Master Force User
  • Sup?
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2014, 09:19:34 PM »
I should be able to get something together~have to be non costume though ^^;
"What I lack in finesse I more than make up for in blanket ruination.."

Offline Darth Cephalus

• Force User
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2014, 06:27:35 PM »
Only a couple more days so.. Last call.

Offline Darth Cephalus

• Force User
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2014, 09:23:16 PM »
So this is a rough work print of the holiday montage. The final version to be released around the new year. Since there were just three participants, I tried to divide the time as evenly as I could while still getting in as many of the great moves/scenery as I was able. This is all videos synced. Watch the upper right for transition marks The order of switches (with Ch standing for me, Cm for CH3M15T, and V for Venturous) is as follows: V, Cm, V, Cm, Ch, Cm, V, Ch, Cm. CH3M15T's video got cut up a bit more because of the internal cuts in the original video. Both videos will be visible partially during the transitions. The credits will come first, then the montage, then a thank you to the viewers. I will be tinkering with it in following days so feel free to chime in with comments or suggestions

www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvMpv9hR5kw
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 09:24:57 PM by Darth Cephalus »

Offline Darth Cephalus

• Force User
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2014, 05:46:53 PM »
Just putting the finishing touches on this video but it will definitely be ready for new year's eve. I got the transitions and credits in and added an opening crawl (SW style) to the intro. Since the only participants were spinners, I gave the intro a spinning theme. Cuts have transitions but will remain a bit rough as time has recently become more scarce with the birth of my son on the 23rd. Expect the video posted on the 31st.

Offline Darth Cephalus

• Force User
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2014, 06:30:05 PM »
And here is the final product. Thank you again to those who participated. For those who did not, it is my hope that you will have another chance next year. Without further ado, 2014  year in review. This video is the result of an open submission call for videos on various saber forums. The following montage blends footage from the three participants (Darth Venturous, Darth CH3M15T, and Darth Cephalus) featuring saber spinning in different weapon combinations to music by the Noisy Freaks. Videos taken during 2014.

For the youtube channels of the participants see below:
Cephalus
robert dobbs - YouTube
CH3M15T
THE CH3M15T - YouTube
Venturous
venturous1v - YouTube

www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_fabiOtA6Y

Offline Darth Cephalus

• Force User
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2015, 08:24:53 PM »
Trying out a new toy. Buugeng (dual s-staffs) spinning to Forest by System of a Down. Next step is to set these up with some EL tape. There is definitely a learning curve to these (see what I did there?) as they are very differently balanced. The uni-directionality of them also takes some getting used to. I can't help but think that, if I can get good at them, there might be some interesting lightsaber moves that can be adapted.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=hi_VHHrSuj0

Offline Darth Cephalus

• Force User
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2015, 06:47:49 PM »
My sister in law just showed me this move with a staff so I thought I would try it with a saber. It is a contact roll around the neck and down the back of the arm. Not bad fora first attempt if I do say so myself. This is the sort of thing I am interested in learning to do more of. It is not combat applicable at all but does it feel represent a level of familiarity and comfort with the saber above and beyond working with it as a weapon.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=96MXPNCcojY

Offline arcana

• Experienced Force User
    • Light Saber Archives
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2015, 08:59:40 PM »
My sister in law just showed me this move with a staff so I thought I would try it with a saber. It is a contact roll around the neck and down the back of the arm. Not bad fora first attempt if I do say so myself. This is the sort of thing I am interested in learning to do more of. It is not combat applicable at all but does it feel represent a level of familiarity and comfort with the saber above and beyond working with it as a weapon.
Practice arm roll - YouTube

Wow that's really cool!  Thanks for sharing.  I'd definitely like I try this but your juggling skills are way above mine.  You can take this hobby any direction you like and it's really cool to see what you've done with it.
“In my experience, there's no such thing as luck.”

Offline Darth Cephalus

• Force User
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2015, 09:28:30 PM »
Practice saberstaff freestyle routine set to Kismet by Bond. Edited down a bit for length. Features green blades in honor of the season. I tried to work in a few of the contact rolls I have been working on like the one in the last video though they are still works in progress. Enjoy. 
www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDPXbzv3rc4

Offline Darth Cephalus

• Force User
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2015, 06:37:43 PM »
Obviously this is not a lightsaber, but I thought I would post it as it demonstrates some of what I am working on with my saberstaff. My sister-in-law left her contact fire staff when she last visited. Rather than let it sit in the corner, I did this. I am as yet not very good with these things but I think I managed it passably, though I have to say I would not try half of these things if the ends were ignited.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrqmH3hwHRg

Offline EXAR KUN

• SITH/EMPIRE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as SpaceWindu
    • My YouTube channel: youtube.com/spacewindu
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2015, 12:00:26 PM »
Cool posts!

Good luck with the practicing it looks like you are learning a bunch of new moves  :)

retrousse