fiduciary

Author Topic: Important Announcement Regarding SABER BARON STUDIO's Soundfonts  (Read 5346 times)

Offline Professor Huyang

• Formerly known as TyFighter
  • Master Force User
  • The Saber Baron
Hey Saber Fans,

As you all know, I recently released my first custom soundfont for PlecterLabs and NEC soundboards.

I worked really hard on this font, and for my first attempt, I am incredibly proud of it. This font, as well as any fonts I make in the future, will be available for sale exclusively through Saberfont.com. I however, will not be seeing penny of it.

In 2012, I made the difficult decision to move us across the state to raise our newborn son closer to her family, and dropped out of college (after finally returning after an 8 year hiatus). I make less than $25k a year, and this affords our modest home, groceries and lights. We live. We clip coupons, shop at thrift stores, and often, just go without. I got into the production of soundfonts because frankly, I cannot afford to build in the budget we are on, but am desperate to contribute to this hobby. Admittedly, a little extra money (any extra money, really) that I would make off my soundfonts would be nice. But my wife and I constantly fantasize about what we will do when we "make it," either by years of hard work and student debt or by sheer luck (winning the lottery) we always planned on donating a significant amount to charity. I decided I can't wait until then.

I have decided to donate ALL the proceeds of my soundfont productions to the JDRF (or the Juvenile Diabetes Research Fund) to help find a cure to Type 1 Diabetes. I do not suffer from Type 1 diabetes myself, but it is an important cause close to my heart. To learn more, please visit Home | JDRF: Improving Lives. Curing Type 1 Diabetes

A number of years ago, my wife's best friend passed away due to complications from Type 1 diabetes. Although I never knew her personally, I knew that she was a loving person who brought joy and laughter to everyone she met. She was 23 and in love with the entire world. She was the kind of person who never had much, but what she did have, she shared. She would sometimes go hungry for days on end so she could afford to feed her pets when times were lean. She left behind an example of such good nature and hospitality that I decided to dedicate my work to her memory. Although I never knew her, I miss her; for I know that much of who my wife is as a person was shaped by the influence of such a loving and caring friend.

This isn't a million dollar industry. The money I make from my fonts may not seem like much, but it means a lot to me. I will always strive to create the most amazing and imaginative fonts I can for our sabers, and to all who contribute to my work, you have my sincerest and most humble gratitude.

May the Force be with you all,

-Ty
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 04:11:59 PM by Professor Huyang »
"Many years I have been on this ship teaching many a Jedi before you, and I will continue teaching many a Jedi after you. Call me what you want, but inside my memory banks I contain a record of every lightsaber ever made, and the Jedi who fashioned it."
―Huyang

Offline vvenom

• Master Force User
Re: Important Announcement Regarding SABER BARON STUDIO's Soundfonts
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2013, 09:50:56 PM »
Amazing

Put me down for every font you ever make sir :'(

Please make us aware when your font is released please im sure this gesture will touch many people

Again its amazing that your doing this even in your position your still giving

Offline Professor Huyang

• Master Force User
  • The Saber Baron
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2013, 10:12:59 PM »
Thanks vvenom, that means a lot to hear you say that.

As for future announcements, you can look no further. Any new fonts will be debuted here, and posts will be made when they are available on saberfont.com. There is more to come, so stay tuned.
"Many years I have been on this ship teaching many a Jedi before you, and I will continue teaching many a Jedi after you. Call me what you want, but inside my memory banks I contain a record of every lightsaber ever made, and the Jedi who fashioned it."
―Huyang

Offline Vercify

• Master Force User
  • rawr
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2013, 10:41:42 PM »
Man, you rock. This was quite touching. I have walked/volunteered at JDRF for 5 consecutive years. One of my close family friends has type-1, and I have supported her every year (except one, I had an exam the following monday  :() that she has done the Ron Santo JDRF walk in Schaumburg (Illinois-Chicago). Its an incredible cause, and they really make the most of every penny they make. I sincerely hope that you can continue contributing to this and powering on with your family. MTFBWY. 

Offline Caine

• Kwai Chang Caine master of duel-fu
  • Master Force User
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2013, 11:56:18 PM »
You sir are a good man.  :)

Offline Professor Huyang

• Master Force User
  • The Saber Baron
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2013, 09:11:50 AM »
I appreciate the feedback, everyone. I am not trying to prop myself up or be self-righteous or anything, I just want people to know that my fonts are going to a good cause, and why I made this decision.

As for my spirit of giving in my "position" I work hard for what I have, and I have most everything I want. A loving wife, beautiful son, clothes on my back and a home filled wall to wall with great books. I'd die for a high end, CF or Igniter build from one of the masters, but that can wait. I know that my hard work and studies will pay off eventually, so I am playing the long game. If I can keep living below my means and stay out of debt, I will "make it" someday, and the sabers I dream about will fall into my hands. This money won't be missed, and not being rich is no excuse for not giving.
―Huyang

Offline Machinimax

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Sentinel
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2013, 10:09:36 AM »
This isn't a million dollar industry. The money I make from my fonts may not seem like much, but it means a lot to me.

And that's what matters! You know Ty, I can tell you're the kind of guy who always looks at the glass as half full, not half empty!  :D  This is a beautiful thing for you to do and I think all of us, and I do mean all of us, appreciate it.

Welcome to saber building. You've taken your first step into a larger world!

"Don't get the idea that your [lightsaber] is a quick little project to be slapped together." - Luke Skywalker

Offline LUMINARA UNDULI

• Master of the purple blade
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly Known As Allaerra
    • Vader's Vault
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2013, 10:28:15 AM »
Ty, you are awesome! 8)

Facebook: VVFB

Offline Professor Huyang

• Master Force User
  • The Saber Baron
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2013, 12:16:44 PM »
This isn't a million dollar industry. The money I make from my fonts may not seem like much, but it means a lot to me.

And that's what matters! You know Ty, I can tell you're the kind of guy who always looks at the glass as half full, not half empty!  :D  This is a beautiful thing for you to do and I think all of us, and I do mean all of us, appreciate it.

Actually, I prefer to think that the glass is always halfway... to another glass.
―Huyang

Offline Professor Huyang

• Master Force User
  • The Saber Baron
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2013, 09:32:54 AM »
Legacy: Imperial Knight now LIVE on Saberfont.com!

Get some!
―Huyang

Offline STARKILLER

• Lord of the Strings
  • SITH/EMPIRE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • VADER's VAULT MFG
    • Vaders Vault
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2013, 09:36:17 AM »
I am here to personally say, I LOVE the IK font. I will be putting it on every single IK that we make and will have a demo video in the next day or so showing it off. It is also currently residing on my personal Fury 8) Everyone needs to own this font.

Offline Cad-Bayne

• Formerly known as Bayne-Fett
  • Master Force User
  • "Dead or Alive, you’re worth Credits to me"
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2013, 10:20:57 AM »
I'm so getting this font more so now...

Offline Professor Huyang

• Master Force User
  • The Saber Baron
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2013, 10:30:26 AM »
Thanks so much for the vote of confidence, Alan. I truly designed this font to use on your IK line, and I am so happy that the sounds "fit" to you.

As a reminder, all proceeds for my fonts go to charity, so pick this one up! It's for a good cause!
―Huyang

Offline LordBlako

• Master Force User
  • I'm just the Font Maker!
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2013, 12:45:15 PM »
congrats on your first font up there! it's definately a great one!!! keep up the good work, i'm sure there will be more to come...

Offline Professor Huyang

• Master Force User
  • The Saber Baron
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2017, 02:01:11 PM »
It's been some time since I first posted this, but it deserves an update.

After 4 years of fontmaking, I have raised over $1600 for Juvenile diabetes research. This is kind of a drop in the bucket for funding, but I am glad to have done it. I was never the most prolific font maker out there, but seeing a final tally helped me decide how to proceed.

I have decided to explore more original foley work, investing in recording equipment and sound design software to create completely original, never before heard material. To that end, I am discontinuing the charitable contributions from my fonts.  This will allow me to gather the necessary funds for the equipment I need, and create a library that can be shared with other fontmakers. I will still continue to work with charitable organizations locally and globally, but through a more valuable asset: time.

I thank everyone for the support they have given me, and the continued support. MTFBWYA.
―Huyang

retrousse