fiduciary

Author Topic: Luxeon questions  (Read 5185 times)

Offline Jedi K

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
Luxeon questions
« on: May 17, 2006, 11:10:49 AM »
Yeah I know theres probably answers in the other topics but theres so many to look through @_@

I just a couple of questions about 'em as I'm thinking of getting one custom saber to call my own ^_^ -

When a white/silver luxeon is used with a coloured disc does it degrade the light quality/brightness a lot? or is it quite minimal?
Also when say a blue disc is used on a white luxeon does it look rather 'diluted' or pale compared to a pure blue luxeon?
do lighter shades like pink and yellow come out well and strong?

Also at Ultrasabers for their custom stunt saber 3watt version they offer a foregrip option, what kind of foregrip is this? the rubber black version on Vader and Anakin's or the machine cut style of the Luke ROTJ?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2006, 11:57:02 AM by Jedi K »

Seth Ski-Woo

Re: Luxeon questions
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2006, 12:11:58 PM »
Hi Jedi K.

i can't help from my own experience, but I had similar questions which Jedibum was helpful in answering as he owns a number of luxeons, including a white one with the filters. if you follow the thread, he also posted some pics, so hope tht's also helpful to you. the bottom line is that it does seem to have a noticable effect on both the brightness and the strength of the colour, relative to a coloured luxeon of the same strength...

http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=35c2b6fb8260a80de70851aaec44601a&topic=3695.0

As for the foregrip question I don't know - have you asked Ultra?

Anyway, I hope you're happy whichever way you end up going. Do please keep us updated  ;)

Ghost4

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2006, 12:31:08 PM »
The foregrip is the same one as on the S5 (5W saber).  It's a ribbed grip like the Luke ROTJ.  The S5 needs it for heatsink so it comes as a "stock" option.  Ultra's stuff is the modular hilt system at www.thecustomsabershop.com  You may want to play with the MHS builder.  Lots of options added this week including a Luke ROTJ emitter. :)

A pure LED will ALWAYS outshine a filtered one.  On the blue's it may be close, but the colors are saturated with white when filtered.  Now put a 5W white with filters and it matches... whenever the K2's are available it will actually beat a 3W for sure, but still be saturated.

Offline Jedi K

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2006, 12:51:56 PM »
Thanks for the help.

My friend has a digital camera so if and when I end up with one I'll be sure to let you all know.

Offline ryanlb

• Experienced Force User
    • A Clone's Paradise
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2006, 01:24:11 PM »
Ultra's stuff is the modular hilt system at www.thecustomsabershop.com  You may want to play with the MHS builder.  Lots of options added this week including a Luke ROTJ emitter. :)

Hi, new here, led in this direction from a couple of posts regarding Ultra sabers on Star Wars Action News Forum.

Does that mean when I receive my 3W custom saber from Ultra I can purchase hilt pieces from TCSS to modify my hilt?

Offline Ultra

• Master Force User
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2006, 02:16:35 PM »
That's exactly what it means.  Tim and I have a good working relationship this way  ;D

Offline ryanlb

• Experienced Force User
    • A Clone's Paradise
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2006, 02:42:06 PM »
That's exactly what it means.  Tim and I have a good working relationship this way  ;D

Well, that means I got an even better deal than I thought I did.  I'll definitely look into this more once my saber arrives, and I have money again.  I am so totaly stoked to recieve this saber.

Offline Shadowlynx

• Master Force User
  • Darkness has Fallen
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2006, 07:46:09 PM »
Yeah with the color disc it can make the colors fade out more than a original LED luxeons do. My Mace Windu has that detachable clip so you can swap out LED's I have right now Royal Blue and Amber. I don't know anything about the custom saber from ultra but I'm sure that he foregrip is rubber at least it looks like it from the pics. I hope you'll love your custom saber.

Offline Ultra

• Master Force User
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2006, 04:21:30 PM »
The foregrip is machined aluminum.  You can add rubber orings to it if you want, but it's not made of rubber.

Offline ryanlb

• Experienced Force User
    • A Clone's Paradise
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2006, 04:48:04 PM »
I ordered the colored discs to change colors on my saber, would I be able to convert it someday to use the detachable clip to change the LEDs?

Offline Yoda

• Jedi Master
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as MERIDIAN
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2006, 05:08:54 PM »
Ryanlb this is just encase you haven't seen the picts at TCSS
Check through this link...
http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/sabers/Scripts/prodList.asp?idCategory=30

You can see if using any of the Modular Hilt System Emitters the LED can be changed
by use of the changeable plate.

I do believe Ultra's 5watt and a the other Custom 3watt He makes are using the MHS parts
That are in those picts and you'd beable to customize it with other sections.

If you get it from Ultra with the Electronics already hooked up as a completed saber then you'll
definitely be all set ;)

I'm pretty sure He has it plugged in so you can change it but you may want to specify that when
you order  ;)

Good luck in your quest for a custom/personalized saber

MTFBWY
always
YODA

Offline Shadowlynx

• Master Force User
  • Darkness has Fallen
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2006, 08:05:43 PM »
Hey Yoda, with the 5watt leds I wonder does it take power away when you use a sound module. I seen photoninnovations on ebay with a 5watt LED custom lightsaber with sound? It would seem right if the saber does lose power on account that the 5watts do drain more battery.

Offline Jin Ke

• Master Force User
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2006, 09:13:55 PM »
I don't think 5 w Luxeon sabers can have sound.  At least that's the assumption I was under.  I own one, and haven't seen one available with sound.  I think it has to do with power issues and parts not playing nice together. ;D

Offline Yoda

• Jedi Master
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as MERIDIAN
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2006, 09:22:48 PM »
Hey Yoda, with the 5watt leds I wonder does it take power away when you use a sound module. I seen photoninnovations on ebay with a 5watt LED custom lightsaber with sound? It would seem right if the saber does lose power on account that the 5watts do drain more battery.

Yes It does take power away if your run them all on the same battery.

Well I'd actually like to quote Ultra on this one because He presently does 5watt but with out sound for good reason.

"The biggest hang up on putting a 5 watt in an MR hilt, besides the obvious heat issues, is the 8 volt requirement of the Lux 5 combined with the 4.5 volt drain of the MR board. To get decent autonomy, you'd need to run a 12 volt system and there's not a whole lot of room for that many batteries in the newer MR hilts."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So there you have it...
Of course you could try and fit two batterypacks or hypethetically string a 9volt to piggyback a 4cell
but I'm pretty sure the 9volt won't power an MR board nor does it light up a 3watt very well from what
I've been told, so I can't imagine using it as a powersource for a 5watt
because even though it has voltage it carries inadequate Amperage.

(Like a car with Horespower but no Torque ;))

I'd hate to see what the inside of it looks like with AAAs and a 9volt shoved in there... ::)
just a wiring and reliability nightmare as far as I'm concerned  :P

I like a Clean installation and I love the power I get from the MR board.
I use it with the 3watts and Energizer Lithium batteries and it's irritatingly bright 8) 8) 8) 8)

I keep all my wires in my graflex conversions VERY short and I use a larger Gauge where appropriate
so I don't need them to be brighter than they are right now.
I use mine for 1/2 hour at a time usually and after that green or blue glow is swinging around in the dark
for a while I'll come back inside and it feels like I've been out in Sun because my eyes need to re-focus
quite a bit.
All the Graflexes I've done the LEDs are very intense... even compared to a few others I've bought and
I can see the Low resistance does more than you'd think ;)

I do RC Cars as well and I'll tell you... short wires can win races... just as they can help get every single
ounce of juice out of the MR board.

I do think there will be a great advantage to using 5watts with the narrow 3/4th blades and a narrower
lens but the issue there again is heat so I didn't do it in my Obiwan EP1 Larbel I used a 3watt and it's
Got great brightness for a thin blade... I was actually suprised how well it worked with the narrower lense etc...

well I'v carried on and gotten off the initial question but it's just my 2cents :D

MTFBWY
always
YODA

Offline ryanlb

• Experienced Force User
    • A Clone's Paradise
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2006, 09:41:05 PM »
Ryanlb this is just encase you haven't seen the picts at TCSS
Check through this link...
http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/sabers/Scripts/prodList.asp?idCategory=30

You can see if using any of the Modular Hilt System Emitters the LED can be changed
by use of the changeable plate.

I do believe Ultra's 5watt and a the other Custom 3watt He makes are using the MHS parts
That are in those picts and you'd beable to customize it with other sections.

If you get it from Ultra with the Electronics already hooked up as a completed saber then you'll
definitely be all set ;)

I'm pretty sure He has it plugged in so you can change it but you may want to specify that when
you order  ;)

Good luck in your quest for a custom/personalized saber

MTFBWY
always
YODA

Thanks for the info.  Ultra did say he used the Modular Hilt System, I just wasn't sure if there was extra work involved in making the LED easily swappable.   I'm so excited about getting the one I have ordered that I can barely restrain myself from ordering the Darth Maul saber.  I'm going to have to order some new components and play around on my dad's mill -see if I can come up with something cool (not likely, I'll probably have to borrow someone else's idea).

retrousse