fiduciary

Author Topic: Reflective material for blade tips  (Read 988 times)

Offline AdamJensenFan

• No Force
Reflective material for blade tips
« on: October 17, 2012, 05:40:44 PM »
I'm just checking what the best options are for reflective material for blade tips. In my search, the only DIY solution I've come across is certain silvery anti-static bags. Are they the best option? Are there good alternatives? For my particular application (I'll make another thread about that later), I need to make my own tip.

Offline STARKILLER

• Lord of the Strings
  • SITH/EMPIRE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • VADER's VAULT MFG
    • Vaders Vault
Re: Reflective material for blade tips
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 05:47:37 PM »
We use the mylar bags because they are semi-reflective. This means that it will let some light through, while also reflecting some of it back down into the blade to help with evenness. There may be other things out there, but for 'that' purpose (lighting the tip up), it works well, is cheap and easy to find, and it's easy to cut (a 7/8" circular craft punch makes the perfect disc for tips).

Offline AdamJensenFan

• No Force
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 03:29:08 AM »
Okay thanks; mylar bags it is :)

Offline Sethski

• Master Force User
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 04:31:34 AM »
Another thumbs up for the mylar bags. Depending on your preference, you might want to use more than one layer. Simple to do a quick test lit and then add more if you wish til you're happy. I also find a compass cutter really useful for this (and other things) - like compasses for drawing circles with a pencil or lead, but with a small blade, and very cheap (I always seem to manage to botch making a perfect circle with scissors ar a craft knife lol).

retrousse