fiduciary

Author Topic: Help me decide which Luxeon builder is for me!  (Read 8413 times)

Offline todd4566

• Force User
  • I'm thinking.
Help me decide which Luxeon builder is for me!
« on: May 08, 2006, 09:41:12 AM »
I am very interested in finding an Anakin ROTS Luxeon saber, but the problem is that there are so many different people making these that I don't know which one to get!   I don't like some of the pics I've seen where the illumination of the blade gets dull in the middle; many Luxeon builders claim to have remedied this issue to some extent, but who  has done the best job?

Ultrasabers - pics look decent, but I hear they now use a new blade that diffuses light better.. is this true?

Photon Innovations (Ebay) - They use a custom 4 AAA battery pack, and claim to have increased illumination. 

Slackfarm (Ebay) - Claims to have a "true" 1000ma current powering his Luxeon, and also uses a special fiber optic diffusing blade.  The pics look good, but he doesn't currently have the royal blue Luxeon, which I prefer.

**And here's the other issue** Is it worth waiting for The Custom Saber Shop to finish with the metal Anakin blade holder, or is the plastic holder still worthy of dueling?  Thanks for any & all thoughts on this matter!!
My collection:
2002 Anakin AOTC
2003 Vader ANH  **Sold**
2004 Luke ESB  **Sold**
2005 Anakin ROTS **Sold**
2005 Vader ESB **Sold**
2005 Luke ROTJ **Sold**
2006 Maul TPM
Custom 5w Luxeon (Green/Royal Blue)
2006 Obi-Wan ROTS  **Sold**
2007 Yoda
2007 Luke ANH
2008 Obi-Wan TPM
2010 Anakin ROTS (Removeable Blade)

Offline Shadowlynx

• Master Force User
  • Darkness has Fallen
Re: Help me decide which Luxeon builder is for me!
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2006, 11:06:22 AM »
I wish I can help you out on the ebay seller part. The seller I bought my 3 out of 5 luxeons decided to quit making luxeon MR Lightsabers. That is where I first bought my Anakin from and it's still a duelable worthy lightsaber. I usually switch MR Blades I use The MR Blade that has the damage and the other one for display. And yes I have dueled with a TCSS blade too as well with my Anakin but sanding it down was the hard part. But it's still a duel worthy lightsaber so yeah I think either way it you wait for Tim's conversion it'll be alot tougher but For me I still use the same MR Blade holder and it still holds up to intense duelings without even a single crack. I hope you'll find the right seller and the right Anakin ROTS Luxeon.  :)

Ghost4

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2006, 11:10:42 AM »
TCSS acrually had the holder in this week, but there was a mistake with them.  He wasn't sure if he could fix them but he's looking into his options.  It could be another wait for a couple weeks or just another week if they get fixed.

Ultra uses the same blades as TCSS they supply each other.  So yes the auctions and site show what they look like.  The fade is evened and it just has the flare.  If you don't mind the stock holder I'd go with Ultra because I bet his are the cheapest at $75.

Photon is talking a lot of Bravo Sierra.  Voltage doesn't matter on a Luxeon.  All they are doing is messing up a perfectly good battery pack.

Slackfarm (never heard of him or seen his auctions) but he's talking a lot of Bravo Sierra too.  The MR board provides the correct resistance to pull it down.  AA's provide 2500 mAh normally and  the MR lights it up the same as if you resistored it seperatly.  All luxeon conversions done right get 1000mA.

Seth Ski-Woo

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2006, 11:20:53 AM »
Good luck with that Todd, I guess so long as you get a good job done on converting the hilt, you can then experiment more cheaply with different diffuser film and blade tips.
I'm curious as well to hear of anyone's experience with Photon Innovations and Slackfarm - Ghost 4, your words don't inspire confidence though...  :(
Jedibum posted some links to pics of his Luxeons in another thread http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=3695.15
There's a fair variety, and he seems a sound and amenable fellow - if he's bought these from different sabersmiths, he might be able to offer some useful tips  :)

Offline Shadowlynx

• Master Force User
  • Darkness has Fallen
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2006, 11:24:00 AM »
Hey Ghost,

Do you know if Ultra uses the TCSS blades on his darth Maul's or just the originial blades? Also have you bought one of ultra's sabers? I'm just wandering because I'm debating on if I should get one of ultra's sabers or get a orginial or someone else's darth maul luxeon. Thanks Ghost of varifying that.

Ghost4

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2006, 11:44:39 AM »
Ultra has been reusing the original blades from the MR.  The diffuser is not as good, but the PolyC as you know is much better.  I'm not sure if he's modding them to have a mirror though...

I don't have one of Ultra's Darth Maul's.  He's was the only one until the darthvaderusa guy started converting them.  I don't trust that guy... he's a leech.  He get's his directions and parts from other sites  and doesn't contribute.  On his Anakin conversions he drills holes on the copper buttons... because he's following instructions that are out of date on a TFN thread.

Offline todd4566

• Force User
  • I'm thinking.
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2006, 11:47:14 AM »
I've been leaning towards the Ultrasaber, but I still don't know if I should wait on the new metal blade holder.  I currently have the "plastic" Anakin hilt, and because it works fine I intend on buying an already completed Anakin.  Maybe the newer Ani hilt isn't as wobbly as the one I have.. but I'd really like to feel confident that the plastic holder could handle plenty of punishment.  

For those interested, hear is some links to the Slackfarm saber.  They do put forth some great pics:

Cyan:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6625952163&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Royal Blue *drool*:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=99971&item=6607397057
My collection:
2002 Anakin AOTC
2003 Vader ANH  **Sold**
2004 Luke ESB  **Sold**
2005 Vader ESB **Sold**
2005 Luke ROTJ **Sold**
2006 Maul TPM
2007 Yoda
2007 Luke ANH
2008 Obi-Wan TPM

Offline Darthirishman

• Master Force User
  • They used to call me Sifo-Dyas
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2006, 11:49:34 AM »
I had a Anakin ROTS converted by TCSS, it was ok, I dont like the light dimming up the blade and then shines bright at the top, so I sold it
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.  Then go find the person who has vodka and have a party

Offline Yoda

• Jedi Master
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as MERIDIAN
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2006, 12:07:53 PM »
The Custom Saber Shop will have Aluminum Holders for the Anakins coming in about a month or so.
Then you can use the thick and thin blades.

Stock plastic Holders don't hold up well to tthe thick poly blades but are fine with the thin ones.
Plus the thin is much lighter and more maneuverable.

Also the "Blub" at the tip is because of the MR stock blade, and it can be remidied by replacing it with a
mirrored film backed Acrylic Hemisphere. ;)

If you get a conversion you can get thin walled Blades from Corbins Components for replacements.

I've bought from Ultra before and he does good work.

Jedi Sabersmith has a cool Luke ROTJ in progress and should be ready soon.

Slackfarm has a good rep by I haven't bought any of their sabers.
However with my discussions with them He is very honest so It may be Okay.

I've been very disapponted Twice by Photon, and their 4 cell pack with all the extra doesn't make it any brighter
because it still has to power the sound board and the vibrating motor they put in there (which it annoying like a vibrator).
The AAAs don't have the same Amps as the AAs do so it doesn't help like you think it would, regardles of volts.

But If you ever want an Original Lukeskywalker ANH Graflex conversion... we do those ;)
they are expensive but worth it, if you ever want to add one to your collection.
here's a pict of it in the forum links  http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=3480.45

Here are a few others we have that were on eBay but are now going to be put in the Site Store.
they are still available so you know...
here is the Link in the forums http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=3552.0
The Anakin AOTC sytled Has a Royal Blue Blade
and the Jedi Style is whie with color disks.

If you want more in depth info you can PM me 8)

MTFBWY
always
YODA
« Last Edit: May 09, 2006, 12:16:42 AM by Yoda »

Offline Darthirishman

• Master Force User
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2006, 12:28:27 PM »
Yeah I checked out some blades from TCSS, but I figured the saber needed to be in a better home  ;)
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.  Then go find the person who has vodka and have a party

Offline todd4566

• Force User
  • I'm thinking.
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2006, 12:47:34 PM »
Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't really see many blade options @ TCSS.  They list a 1/8 thick blade (is this the "thin" version?), a mirror, and a round tip.. what other diffusing options are there?  What does Ultra Sabers now use that makes diffusion better than it was in the past?  I apologize for asking so many questions;  I'd really like to achieve the light output of that Slackfarm auction listing I posted. 
My collection:
2002 Anakin AOTC
2003 Vader ANH  **Sold**
2004 Luke ESB  **Sold**
2005 Vader ESB **Sold**
2005 Luke ROTJ **Sold**
2006 Maul TPM
2007 Yoda
2007 Luke ANH
2008 Obi-Wan TPM

Offline Yoda

• Jedi Master
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as MERIDIAN
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2006, 12:55:39 PM »
TCSS only carries the Thick walled blades. 1/8ththick
go to corbinscomponents.com for the other 1/16th thin blade types ;)

Also as I said the Stock MR blade is fine but you'll want to change the Tip.
It requires cutting off the stock tip and gluing a new one in place, that has the right
type of reflective film on it.
If you don't want to do it your self Let me know and I may be able to help once you
decide what your going to get ;)

I make Blades from the stock MRs to go with the sabers that are sold for the site/store/eBay
they get corbin film put inside but it can easily be switched for the stock diffuser.

I also sent you a PM earlier ;)

Gotta go for to Lunch now but I'll be back later.
MTFBWY
always
YODA
« Last Edit: May 08, 2006, 12:57:13 PM by Yoda »

Offline Ultra

• Master Force User
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2006, 06:17:38 PM »
You don't need to cut off the tip of the MR blade.  Instead, you can place a 3/4" mirror face down on a dowel rod (preferably one that fits the inside diameter of the diffuser).  Put some silicon on the back of the mirror, then carefully slide the dowel inside the blade and press the mirror into the tip (be careful not to let the mirror slide off the end of the dowel or bad things will happen).  You will then eliminate the "light bulb" effect and create a more evenly lit blade.  The side effect is that the tip doesn't light up as brightly as before, but not many people care about that.

Anyway, to your original dilema...  If the most important thing to you in a saber is pure unbridled strength, then I would suggest you just wait until the TCSS Anakin blade holder is released.  As soon as it is, I will offer them in my sabers.

Now are you dead set on the Anakin?  TCSS makes machined blade holders for the Vader ESB, Ultra Sabers makes aluminum blade holders for the Luke ROTJ, and the Mauls can take thick walled blades in stock form.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2006, 06:20:15 PM by Ultra »

Offline Kyp Durron

• Master Force User
  • Member of the Lost 10
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2006, 06:23:29 PM »
Ultra, does the green blades show up brighter than the other blade colors on the Luxeon?

I was thinking about having my Luke ROTJ converted to a green 3 watt Luxeon...  :P

-Joclad

2010...I certainly hope it's better than 2009 was! ::)
10/10/10~Well, so far with my Father's passing away, I'd say that this year was actually worse than 2009, even the fact that I now have a full time job (For now) isn't anywhere near enough to make up for that...so...maybe 2011 will be better? I'm not holding my breath... ::)

Offline Darthirishman

• Master Force User
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2006, 06:36:40 PM »
Ultra do your blades eliminate the bulb effect and what Fx sabers can the blades go with

retrousse