fiduciary

Author Topic: Darth Maul Luxeon conversion from Ultrasabers  (Read 18133 times)

Seth Ski-Woo

Re: Darth Maul Luxeon conversion from Ultrasabers
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2006, 04:38:21 PM »
Hi Ghost 4 - so do you know if it's possible to run the 5w and FX soundboard off of a set of AAs or AAAs, or would you need another battery like a 9v one as well? Sorry, I'm a bit slow on the uptake with the technical stuff...  :-\  ...it would certainly add more to the appeal of the luxeons IMO if 5w with sound was the regular standard and still fairly affordable...

Ghost4

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2006, 04:50:06 PM »
It is possible, but there is a reason conversions stick with a 3W.  The voltage to run a 5W LED is at least 7V (3AA or AAA's is 4.5V).  Pumping that through a MR sound board will fry it.  However the board works just fine running a 3W LED off of the 3AA's.

To use an MR board you'd need to use a voltage reducer and an obsene amount of batteries (probably 12V or 8AA) which makes for a big saber considering the reason Ultra adds the grips is because being all aluminum the whole saber is a heatsink.

There is many ways of doing it but mainly it's because Ultra is running a bussiness and he's trying to streamline the amount of parts he carries.  Realistically a 5W sound would end up in the $200+ range for sure.

Seth Ski-Woo

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2006, 05:05:23 PM »
Nice one, very clearly explained, that makes sense to me, thank you - wise you are in the ways of the Duracell  ;)

P.S. lol - I thought 12v was just car batteries - a big hilt indeed!!

Ghost4

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2006, 05:22:10 PM »
I'm good at the 'splianing. ;D  A 12V would indeed make a large hilt.  8AA or AAA's is the most viable.

I know a fairly easy way to run a 5W off of less making an MR board much easier, but like I said it would require Ultra stocking more parts.  I could tell more about that if anyone is intereted, but this definatly getting off the topic of Darth Maul conversions, lol.

Offline Darth Pantsless

• Master Force User
  • He's a scoundrel, you'd like him
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2006, 12:01:23 AM »
9V batteries, the answer to all problems !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ghost4

« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2006, 07:24:26 AM »
Actually 9V's are pretty bad for Luxeon applications.  They are high in voltage but low in amperage.  The amperage counts to make the LED go to full brightness.  When Ultra says 9V he means 9V from 6AA or AAA's.

Offline Gnosis

• Formerly known as Gnosis
  • Master Force User
  • The Bird King of La Mancha
    • This week in geek
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2006, 12:14:12 PM »
I myself am considering a Maul from Ultrasabers
What can I say?
it looks damned impressive :)

"It is obvious that this contest cannot be decided by our knowledge of the Force... but by our skills with a lightsaber. "
Count Dooku

Sith Lord Adminstrator
countdooku@fx-sabers.com

Offline Jedibum

• WOLF IN SHEEPS CLOTHING
  • Force User
    • Hyperdyne Labs
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2006, 01:23:41 PM »
Hey guys, I'm having trouble uploading the pictures of the Luxeon 5 Watt with color filters ... I keep getting this message:

"An Error Has Occurred!
Cannot access attachments upload path!"

Anyone know what I should do?
Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

Offline Chowser

• Master Force User
  • Greetings Program!
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2006, 01:44:41 PM »
upload them over at imageshack

and just link them here.

http://www.imageshack.us/

Offline jedi.the0ry

• Force User
  • Saber Master
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2006, 07:46:18 PM »
 I too recently sent out 4 sabers to Ultra (Ani, Vader, Luke ROTJ, and Maul) to get converted. I can't wait to get them back.

Offline Kyp Durron

• Master Force User
  • Member of the Lost 10
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2006, 07:50:33 PM »
I too recently sent out 4 sabers to Ultra (Ani, Vader, Luke ROTJ, and Maul) to get converted. I can't wait to get them back.

Man, that's gotta cost you a pretty penny, lol.  :o  :D

If you can, post pics of your Luke ROTJ if you are getting a green blade...I am considering getting mine converted.

-Joclad

2010...I certainly hope it's better than 2009 was! ::)
10/10/10~Well, so far with my Father's passing away, I'd say that this year was actually worse than 2009, even the fact that I now have a full time job (For now) isn't anywhere near enough to make up for that...so...maybe 2011 will be better? I'm not holding my breath... ::)

Ghost4

« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2006, 08:11:17 PM »
At $75 a pop that still less than what you paid for the hyperdyne blade and he's getting four, lol. :P

Offline Kyp Durron

• Master Force User
  • Member of the Lost 10
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2006, 08:17:23 PM »
Well, we have all spent a great deal of money on sabers for one thing or another...in my opinion, Hyperdyne's kit is worth 4 sabers to me. But of course, not everyone would feel that way.

Just like some people wouldn't have spent $300+ on  FX-Saber's Luke ANH Gralfex Luxeon saber... >.> <.<  :P :D

-Joclad
« Last Edit: May 07, 2006, 08:20:46 PM by Joclad Danva »

2010...I certainly hope it's better than 2009 was! ::)
10/10/10~Well, so far with my Father's passing away, I'd say that this year was actually worse than 2009, even the fact that I now have a full time job (For now) isn't anywhere near enough to make up for that...so...maybe 2011 will be better? I'm not holding my breath... ::)

Offline Jedibum

• WOLF IN SHEEPS CLOTHING
  • Force User
    • Hyperdyne Labs
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2006, 10:03:21 PM »
Ok here we go!

I posted the pics on image shack.  Thanks for helping me out Chowser.  I put a little description below each picture.  Let me know what you think.  Here are the addresses:

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/768/allcolors4ze.jpg
http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/9210/dsc01268a4zu.jpg
http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/9434/dsc01269a3wz.jpg
http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/3863/dsc01270a4mc.jpg
http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/341/dsc01271a8sm.jpg
Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

Offline Darth Pantsless

• Master Force User
  • He's a scoundrel, you'd like him
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2006, 01:49:42 AM »
That purple in the first pic looks ok.

I must say though a lot of them do look a little disappointing

retrousse