fiduciary

Author Topic: A little bit of pre-release info about Luxeon Star's new Quad assembly.  (Read 2598 times)

Offline Quip

• No Force
    • Luxeon Star LEDs
The first run of Quad bases arrived today, and I will be spending the next little while running a multitude of tests prior to their release.

I've been authorized to share this preliminary datasheet with you guys. Any feedback is greatly appreciated, and I will ensure it gets to the proper ears. Remember, we'll be offering this assembly in the same way we do Tris and 7 ups at the moment, with the ability to specify which LED you want on which die. We'll also be releasing a modified 23mm 10 degree optic to work with this base (and, if all goes well, the MHS). I will update this post as more information becomes available.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 12:06:24 PM by Quip »

Offline scottjua

• Master Force User
    • Scott and Tem Photography
Oh yes! Can't wait... as long as it fits a graflex blade holder from TGS or can be made to work easily I am DOWN for a few right away. ^_^

Hasbro Darth Vader Removable Blade
OR Qui Gon CFLS w/Makoto Green
MR Luke V2 LE
MR Qui Gon LE
EFX Ahsoka
Real Parts Obi Wan ANH (90%)

Offline Quip

• No Force
    • Luxeon Star LEDs
Oh yes! Can't wait... as long as it fits a graflex blade holder from TGS or can be made to work easily I am DOWN for a few right away. ^_^

Is it 23mm (0.905") ?

Actually, do you have a link about the graflex ? I've never heard of it before  :-[

Edit: Also... Could someone please tell me what FoC stands for !?

Offline LUMINARA UNDULI

• Master of the purple blade
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly Known As Allaerra
    • Vader's Vault
Quip, you have (2 ) PMs :D.

These are phenomenal!  I look forward to giving them a try!

Facebook: VVFB

Offline scottjua

• Master Force User

Is it 23mm (0.905") ?

Actually, do you have a link about the graflex ? I've never heard of it before  :-[

Edit: Also... Could someone please tell me what FoC stands for !?

here's a link: http://graflexshop.com/socket.htm

from my measurements the LED aperture IS 23mm. But when I use a tri rebel, the 18 degree lens is so short that I have to shim/rig it to be held in place. Although I think you can glue the optics down right? I still wouldn't want to chance it coming loose from jarring and having the optics flop around inside.

FoC Flash on Clash. Where in lightsaber terms one or more of the LED dies lights up independently briefly to flash when a hit is registered by the LED driver/sound board.

MR Luke V2 LE
MR Qui Gon LE
EFX Ahsoka

Offline Quip

• No Force
    • Luxeon Star LEDs
FoC Flash on Clash. Where in lightsaber terms one or more of the LED dies lights up independently briefly to flash when a hit is registered by the LED driver/sound board.

Thank you ! I've been wondering for a while, but never seen anyone use anything but the short form. :P

The bases, and the lenses are both almost right on 23mm, so it might be a tight fit, but I'm pretty confident it will work (translation: I hope.). You can glue the optics, yes, but it all really depends on the specific conditions (hence why we don't really go into explaining this kind of thing)... There are just so many variables.

In any case, we'll know very soon after release if anything doesn't fit, or work, and we'll be able to try and find some solutions.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 11:42:19 AM by Quip »

Offline Forgetful Jedi Knight

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • The old Jedi Master also commonly known as FJK

The bases, and the lenses are both almost right on 23mm, so it might be a tight fit, but I'm pretty confident it will work (translation: I hope.). You can glue the optics, yes, but it all really depends on the specific conditions (hence why we don't really go into explaining this kind of thing)... There are just so many variables.

In any case, we'll know very soon after release if anything doesn't fit, or work, and we'll be able to try and find some solutions.

As long as the legs of the lens mounting base have some "length" to them, they can be shortened to fit I would imagine. Built in modifiability is always a good thing.

May the force be with you all!

Remember... speak softly and carry a well constructed light saber! :)

How "Freedom of Speech" works:  you have the freedom to say whatever you want, BUT you also have the freedom to suffer whatever consequences your actions or words dictate

Offline Wong Yoon Wei

• Experienced Force User
This is fantastic quip. This level of communication is almost unheard of with big corporation. I am a fan of the rebels and will be watching these Quad closely.

HFX Anakin ROTS Rebel Blue

Offline scottjua

• Master Force User

As long as the legs of the lens mounting base have some "length" to them, they can be shortened to fit I would imagine. Built in modifiability is always a good thing.

Good point! shaving them to length is easy... adding height not so much.

MR Luke V2 LE
MR Qui Gon LE
EFX Ahsoka

Offline Xanatos1986

• Experienced Force User
im still a noob but looking at the sheet, it seems it could be better if the leds were closer to the center? like a 180 degree flip?

Offline nartules

• Master Force User
Awesome QUIP..your name is in caps because it is that awesome.  I'm sure some of the more technically inclinded folks on this forum will be able to provide much better suggestions than I would on that aspect of the design.

This is what a lot of people have been waiting for :)

Time will bring the real end of our trial.  One day they'll be no remnants

Offline scottjua

• Master Force User
Was also thinking that. But the tris are oriented that way and it works ok. Hmmm but any improvement would be welcome.

MR Luke V2 LE
MR Qui Gon LE
EFX Ahsoka

Offline Quip

• No Force
    • Luxeon Star LEDs
Was also thinking that. But the tris are oriented that way and it works ok. Hmmm but any improvement would be welcome.

I believe they are oriented that way because of the optics... I agree that it would likely work better were the dice all in the center, but there are no optics that would fit that design (let alone 10-15 degree ones)... I wish we could fabricate our own. Could be something to look into in the future perhaps, but for now, the lenses dictate the placement.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 07:47:19 PM by Quip »

Offline Ari-Jaq Xulden

• Experienced Force User
Whoo Hoo ! Finally be able to  break the 1000 lumen barrier. This will be a day long remembered, it has seen the end of Kenobi.......

Oh wait feedback

@Quip. I love that you guys addressed the issue of making these individually addressable and setup for smd resistors to run series & or parallel combinations. The only issue I can see is there is no room for wiring  to go. I noticed the flower shaped contacts set up for smd resistor setups in the center seems redundant. For DIYer's, like myself, I will likely drill a hole in the center. Maybe on the next set of boards some alcoves/divots around the perimeter similar to the leg holes, maybe say right behind each led for wiring to be run.  Here is a rough idea I did real quick in paint to help give you an idea.

Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.

Offline Onli-Won Kanomi

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Knight Of Faith
Thank You Quip for that VERY interesting preliminary datasheet...my first impression is identical to Luminara's; "phenomenal" possibilities for our hobby with these.

Ari-Jaq if I understood the datasheet the wiring is to go through those holes in the center so no need for peripheral wiring divots...which seems *in Obi-Wan voice* "an elegant solution, for a more civilized wiring" eh? Agreed on breaking the "1000 lumen barrier" - imagine the possibilities for these quad-rebels in Cool White for an Imperial Knight saber...hmmm...

Yes MANY interesting possibilities for these methinks...  ;D
To DREAM the IMPOSSIBLE DREAM. To FIGHT the unbeatable foe. To BEAR with unbearable sorrow. To RUN where the brave dare not go. To RIGHT the unrightable wrong. To LOVE, PURE AND CHASTE, FROM AFAR [-sigh-]. To TRY, when your arms are too weary; to REACH the unreachable Star!... This is my Quest; To follow that Star, no matter how hopeless, no matter how far...

retrousse