fiduciary

Author Topic: "Drop In" solution for LEDs.  (Read 7117 times)

Offline Quip

• No Force
    • Luxeon Star LEDs
"Drop In" solution for LEDs.
« on: January 30, 2012, 07:43:28 AM »
Hi guys. I'm here on behalf of Luxeon Star LEDs (http://www.luxeonstar.com/)... We've been kicking around this idea of trying to make an LED module specifically for light-sabers. We've commissioned a base .750" in diameter with space for six Rebel LEDs. We would like to work a suitable cooling solution into the design, and sell the module complete, ready to use.

We were wondering what kind of space you have in the average light-saber hilt ? We figure we'll need a few inches to house the heatsink, but aren't positive about how much we've got to work with. Any help or suggestions are more then welcome ! I'll have some images in the near future which I'll post here.

Cheers !

Quip

Offline IndustrialAction

• Master Force User
  • IAC - Elegant designs with a more civilized edge
    • IndustrialAction Customs
Re: "Drop In" solution for LEDs.
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 07:50:35 AM »
Wow Quip, that would be awesome! It would be really cool to have a module build specifically for lightsabers.

I'm sure lots of people would chime in here but I'd recommend reaching out to Tim, the owner of The Custom Saber Shop (sales@thecustomsabershop.com). His shop is where most of us get our supplies. If you teamed up with Tim so that they would fit in the Modular Hilt System (MHS) it would be good for all of us.

Speaking for myself, I switched to LEDengins because the LED options for Luxeons weren't working for the builds that I'm working on that need multi-die LEDs so it would be really cool to have that option again. My cyan rebel is one of my favorite single-die sabers to this day!

Offline Aus_Jedi_Killer

• Master Force User
  • You wanna buy some deathsticks? :D
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 07:58:55 AM »
EXCELLENT news Quip!
Another cool thing to go with it would be a 5-10 degree focusing  lens made to fit over the 6 led dies :)
SIX! :O

Offline IndustrialAction

• Master Force User
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 08:04:52 AM »
EXCELLENT news Quip!
Another cool thing to go with it would be a 5-10 degree focusing  lens made to fit over the 6 led dies :)
SIX! :O

QFT!!!

Offline QUI-GON JINN

• Also known as Jay-gon Jinn!
  • JEDI/ALLIANCE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Your focus determines your reality
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 08:15:45 AM »
The custom saber shop already has his own design for a "drop-in" heat sink/led module that fits the MHS,  so I doubt he'd be interested.  Most other custom built lightsabers usually have either a 3/4",  7/8" or 1" inside diameter for the blade to fit inside,  so any other kind of led module would likely need to fit within those dimensions.  As far as cooling goes,  it really depends on what kind of heat the led's generate. The thing to keep in mind with the design is that cooling fins and such on the heatsink are nearly useless inside a hilt,  since there is no airflow within them,  unless you add a small fan,  which would not only take up valuable internal space,  but also draw extra current from the battery pack,  shortening the run time.  Lightsaber heatsinks work best with as much surface contact as possible between the led module and the outer parts of the hilt as possible,  so the heat can be drawn out from the module,  and dissipated on the outside of the hilt.

Offline Luke S.

• under review
  • Master Force User
  • Romans 3:20-26 As simple as it gets.
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 08:30:50 AM »
Welcome to the forum, it's great to have the source join in on the conversation.

A few inches in hilts is rarely an option.  My hilt is almost 11" total and I'm cutting off the heatsink nub to allow me and extra 1/2-3/4" that I need to fit in the batteries and soundboard.  I'm counting in 1/4's of inches for space not inches.

It seems the ledengin 10w are becoming the most popular lineup for lightsabers. I'd guess that making them easier to solder would be higher on everyone's list.

The other issue is a complet modual.  How would it be wired up?  Every maker wants a different color option so each led would BR wired differently to set up your main color ie, GG then the specific colors to get the flash on clash that would be desired.  IMHO the custom saber shop modual is already pretty much perfection.  My concern goes back to wring the thing up.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 08:34:55 AM by LUKE SKYWALKER »

Offline ANAKIN SKYWALKER

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly Known as Alex Gordon
    • Evolution Arms
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 08:33:12 AM »
That would make them less efficient at dissipating heat.  i would rather they be harder to solder like now than easier but less effective at dissipating heat.

Offline Shadeslinger

• Master Force User
  • "I will consume your soul before this day is done"
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2012, 08:42:06 AM »
I just dropped a led into a saber once. I had less than desirable results...it didn't light up. Never got any sound out of the speaker I just dropped in too. ;D

I suggest maybe mounting the led it to a large hex nut. I hear those are superior heatsinks.

Offline The_Night

• Master Force User
  • "I have become your Nightmare"
    • Prestige Sabers
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2012, 09:09:23 AM »
I would agree with making them easier to solder. Especially if it will be using 6 dies, the pads will be at least as small as the small pads on the ledengines. I'd also be worried about power needs. With the current battery setups we have we can barely power 4 dies and everything else we need, let alone 6. I don't personally see the need for that many , the 4 in the ledengine are plenty bright. I could see if it was a multi color maybe, but idk even what the 6 would be. Red, blue, green, amber, white... I can't even think of what else you would need. Am RGBA or RGBW can make pretty much any combo you could want
MR Vader ESB
MR Maul Staff- Converted
MFX Starkiller
KOTOR Clan Sabers

Offline IndustrialAction

• Master Force User
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2012, 09:11:10 AM »
You could go for an RRGGBB....

Offline Darth Smorgis

• Master Force User
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2012, 09:21:34 AM »
You could go for an RRGGBB....

I like this    ^

Offline Satele Shan

• Formerly known as alessandra
  • Master Force User
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2012, 09:25:01 AM »
Making 10w RGBW, RGBA, RGGB (or RRGGBB) LEDs that are both easier to solder and "drop in" would be great. I know I'm mostly interested in multi-die LEDs for the flash-on-clash function, since you're able to wire/address each die individually.

In terms of "drop in", I'd love a pre-manufactured system that allows you to literally drop in an LED into a choke. Maybe a system with some sort of common plug/socket configuration like Slothfurnaces', where a socket would secure inside a choke or common MHS inner diameter (I believe there's only three main IDs Tim uses, but you'd have to contact him for that) and allow you to easily lift in and out the LED assembly from the saber without the use of JST connectors:

http://www.slothfurnace.com/sabers/ROTJLuke_05.html

Sloth in this case, made a whole new choke and emitter, but I'm just using the picture to illustrate the plug system he used.

I also know there's some thread on optics hanging around - I bought a few 10 degree collimator/reflector lenses to try out instead of the 8.7 degree collimator-only lens from TCSS. I'll let you all know how it turns out.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 09:28:55 AM by Satele Shan »

Offline ANAKIN SKYWALKER

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly Known as Alex Gordon
    • Evolution Arms
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2012, 09:31:52 AM »
That would make them less efficient at dissipating heat.  i would rather they be harder to solder like now than easier but less effective at dissipating heat.

One more time  ;)

Offline Satele Shan

• Formerly known as alessandra
  • Master Force User
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2012, 09:41:38 AM »
I don't have too much of a problem melting the solder on them. I have more of an issue with accidentally bridging the smaller pads, the larger pads present no problem to me. If the pads could be made so that they're a little harder to bridge like that somehow? I dunno, but it would be cool if it were possible. Maybe if they were made a little "deeper"?

Offline vulcan fox

• Master Force User
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2012, 09:45:45 AM »
obviously a GREAT lens solution to achieve maximum lumini intensity ... as for working space well i could accommodate chunks of copper up to 20mm deep as standard with another 18mm for any star and lens as standard.. definitely following this thread.

retrousse