fiduciary

Author Topic: "This is an outrage!"  (Read 4519 times)

Offline Machinimax

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Sentinel
"This is an outrage!"
« on: December 15, 2011, 08:28:03 PM »
I was browsing Ebay for some Graflex flash guns. When I was looking a one of them, I was reading the product description left by the seller and well...read for yourself:

"Unfortunately, as you probably know, the original “Star Wars” light sabers were made using these flashguns, and thousands of these beautiful units have been destroyed to become children's toys."

(Please note that I bolded and underlined destroyed).

Sorry pal but I think I speak for all of us here at the FX Saber forums when I say we haven't destroyed anything! We've only made beautiful works of art and craftsmanship!

Welcome to saber building. You've taken your first step into a larger world!

"Don't get the idea that your [lightsaber] is a quick little project to be slapped together." - Luke Skywalker

Offline Gil Gamesh

• Formerly known as Kit Fisto
  • Master Force User
Re: "This is an outrage!"
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2011, 08:49:01 PM »
some people really love old cameras.  some like lightsabers.  I'm not one to judge, I like archie and jughead when pooping.
Support our Font Makers!

Offline nartules

• Master Force User
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 08:52:44 PM »
I've seen the guys listings before, and he doesn't feel bad about putting the word (Lightsaber) (Star Wars) in his titles to push the price up.  He is doing it to egg on the camera collectors to outbid the saber collectors and to make the saber collectors upset enough to buy his item, just to convert it out of spite.

Your reaction is exactly what he is aiming for amongst this hobby's enthuisiasts, because it will make him more money.

Time will bring the real end of our trial.  One day they'll be no remnants

Offline SgtBatten

• Master Force User
  • Aussie Aussie Aussie
    • Hardcore Online Gaming
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 08:53:30 PM »
some people really love old cameras.  some like lightsabers.  I'm not one to judge, I like archie and jughead when pooping.

Most graflex sales on eBay contain a similar passage. They are simply there to increase hits and the seller really doesn't care if the flash is going to be used as a lightsaber.
Sarge

Please Note that I will generally be AFK from now on.
I'll remain in contact with people i have current dealings with to the best of my ability.

Sign me up for the Maul Please

Offline Machinimax

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Sentinel
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 09:00:13 PM »
Ok I see the point you guys are making. I like how you guys have given me a different perspective at which to view this.

Welcome to saber building. You've taken your first step into a larger world!

"Don't get the idea that your [lightsaber] is a quick little project to be slapped together." - Luke Skywalker

Offline Jm419

• Master Force User
  • Owl Thread Survivor #19
    • The Star Wars Custom Miniature Database
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2011, 09:20:42 PM »
Let me say this:

The Graflex flash in a case in my bedroom is certainly enjoying a nobler existence than as a relic from a failed camera company.

Offline Scorpion

• Master Force User
  • GET OVER HERE!!!
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2011, 03:36:35 AM »
while i agree the were not "destroying" anything we should
remember that people also collect these as camera parts.
its easy to forget that they are camera flases

JQ SABERS MASTER ORGUS DIN CFX
JQ/LDM/MH GK3 OBI-WAN KENOBI Proffie
JQ MASTER REPLICAS LE SIDIOUS CONVERSION CS3
JQ~OM AWESOMESAUCE MAUL STAFF DUAL CFv7
LDM MKVI LUKE SKYWALKER ROTJ REVEAL CFv6
JQ SABERS OBI-WAN EP4 ANH (RUSSREP)CSV4
FX SABERS VINTAGE GRAFLEX IV ANH CFv5
FX SABERS VINTAGE GRAFLEX V ESB CFv5
JQ SABERS OBI-WAN REVEAL AOTC CS3.0
JQ~VV STARKILLER #2 RUN1 CFv6 cex
JQ~OM ANAKIN "Skinnyflex" CS3
JQ~TRIDCLOUD ANAKIN AOTC CFv7
SC~VV QUIGON JINN #2 CFv5
OM OBIWAN TPM #2 CFv5
JQ SABERS LUKE ROTJ CFv4
JQ~korbanth DOOKU CS2
JQ~korbanth SIDIOUS CS2
JQ SABERS Kylo Ren CS3
LINK TO MY SABERS

Offline Sunrider

• Unlimited Brightness!!! RRROOAARRR!!!
  • Master Force User
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2011, 05:21:02 AM »
 Oooooooooowwwwwww save the flash guns from a horrific fate.  :P  ::)  Yes this has been brought up many times. Can these people be serious?  And we think we are geeks.  :)

Offline Salvatore1971

• Master Force User
  • "Yes, I know, I have a toupée on my head!"
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2011, 05:59:55 AM »
Destroyed? I'd say improved to become collectors pieces!  ;)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 06:01:33 AM by Salvatore1971 »

I'm Italian. Sorry in advance for my bad english! :D

Offline LUKE SKYWALKER

• Formerly Egon Mcgregor
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Keeper of the Graflex
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2011, 06:07:53 AM »
i would like to know what these sellers say when they see the selling price of a yoda Graflex  ;)

Offline Salvatore1971

• Master Force User
  • "Yes, I know, I have a toupée on my head!"
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2011, 06:11:54 AM »
i would like to know what these sellers say when they see the selling price of a yoda Graflex  ;)

They would say: "WooW!" (for its beauty) first of all, and then: "Mmmmmm.... I could convert myself to a sabersmith!"  ;D
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 06:13:59 AM by Salvatore1971 »

I'm Italian. Sorry in advance for my bad english! :D

Offline vulcan fox

• Master Force User
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2011, 07:18:53 AM »
ermmm, my own thoughts on this could be fence sitting, the ANH and the ESB graflex sabers are far and away my favourite, i don't have a vintage YET -- BUT when i do make my own i will definitely want two , one to convert and one to show the props history which will remain untouched.

Offline CybKnight

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2011, 07:42:02 AM »
It is really like a classic car. Some like them to be all original, while other want them modernized and tricked out.
CybKnight - Saber fanatic
---------------------------------------------------------
--=Sabers=--
---------------------------
AwesomeSauce X11000 #17 & 18
VV Starkiller run 2 #17
SC/VV Qui-gon TPM
Orbital Machining Obi TPM #3
Yoda's Graflex V 2010 version
Yoda's Obi Wan TPM Negotiator #2
Yoda's Qui Gon TPM Ambassador #1
JSS Starkiller
Many, many MR sabers.
Multiple MHS parts and hilts for future projects.

Offline Satele Shan

• Formerly known as alessandra
  • Master Force User
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2011, 08:05:19 AM »
Let me say this:

The Graflex flash in a case in my bedroom is certainly enjoying a nobler existence than as a relic from a failed camera company.

This is pretty much how I feel about it. The Graflex flash used for the ANH/ESB Luke lightsabers were pieces of crap. Before people started making them into lightsabers **almost** nobody wanted them - it's not like they were valuable collectors items to begin with. There is a very small subset of camera enthusiasts who collect them and will go to ridiculous lengths to ensure that people are NOT able to convert them into lightsabers. Anyhow, that's how it is.

There are some items that get converted into props where you might be able to make that sort of argument - maybe like using a real C96 mauser for your Han Solo pistol (or some other possibly rarer gun to convert). While I think an item that was originally used to kill people is far better off being converted into a sci-fi/fantasy prop that makes someone really happy and celebrates something positive, I understand why you might argue that as an item it has historical significance and should be preserved...but not the Graflex flash.

That being said, I've felt a little guilty about gutting Exactra 20s. I don't feel bad about converting vintage Graflex flashes at all.

Offline STARKILLER

• Lord of the Strings
  • SITH/EMPIRE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • VADER's VAULT MFG
    • Vaders Vault
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2011, 08:23:00 AM »

While I think an item that was originally used to kill people is far better off being converted into a sci-fi/fantasy prop that makes someone really happy and celebrates something positive, I understand why you might argue that as an item it has historical significance and should be preserved...but not the Graflex flash.

So.....all C96's were used to kill people?

This is a heavy blanket statement to use, I would like to disagree emphatically. A functional C96 has more value and use in its original form than in a converted form, this would be my argument for not converting it. A well maintained C96 can still have many more years of shooting left in it and therefore much enjoyment to be had. Plus, there are suitable replicas out there to convert. Now, if there were a C96 that was unusable for firing due to neglect etc. then by all means, it's fair game at that point.

The camera geeks amuse me to no end. What's more humorous is their discussions about this very subject on their tiny forums. What they don't get, is if it weren't for the value attached to these flashes BECAUSE of our hobby, most people would probably have thrown them away by now. There are VERY few people interested in ancient photography technology, and there is more than enough equipment to go around to satisfy the small numbers of their hobby. That said, there are also suitable replicas of this flash for BOTH hobbies to enjoy. Not to mention, very little is done structurally to the flash to ruin it's value. Other than the D-ring, and the ESB grip screws, the ANH version is almost unscathed.

retrousse