fiduciary

Author Topic: "This is an outrage!"  (Read 4524 times)

Offline Satele Shan

• Formerly known as alessandra
  • Master Force User
Re: "This is an outrage!"
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2011, 08:32:18 AM »
So.....all C96's were used to kill people?

This is a heavy blanket statement to use, I would like to disagree emphatically. A functional C96 has more value and use in its original form than in a converted form, this would be my argument for not converting it. A well maintained C96 can still have many more years of shooting left in it and therefore much enjoyment to be had. Plus, there are suitable replicas out there to convert. Now, if there were a C96 that was unusable for firing due to neglect etc. then by all means, it's fair game at that point.

No, not all C96s (or any guns) were actually used to kill people, but I'm just not a huge fan of guns myself and I view them mostly as weapons that aren't good for a whole lot beyond hurting people, animals, and things, but that's a philosophical argument for another time and place, and I don't want to start a huge argument about this. Anyhow, that's the point of view where my initial statement was coming from, but I respect that people can enjoy owning and shooting guns - just I personally don't see any value in them.

Offline STARKILLER

• Lord of the Strings
  • SITH/EMPIRE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • VADER's VAULT MFG
    • Vaders Vault
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2011, 08:36:37 AM »
Fair enough, I wasn't trying to start an argument ;) I was just pointing out that the statement made could come across as....something else, to people who share the opposite philosophy.

Offline Satele Shan

• Formerly known as alessandra
  • Master Force User
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2011, 08:42:11 AM »
Fair enough, I wasn't trying to start an argument ;) I was just pointing out that the statement made could come across as....something else, to people who share the opposite philosophy.

I totally understand - sorry I came across a bit strongly in the last post - I wasn't trying to defensively suggest that you were trying to start an argument, I just can see how quickly a topic like this can devolve into an argument and want to avoid that. :P It's the sort of argument that no one ever wins, especially on the Internets. ::)

Offline STARKILLER

• Lord of the Strings
  • Master Force User
  • VADER's VAULT MFG
    • Vaders Vault
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2011, 08:57:19 AM »
Right! So lets get back to bashing those photography geeks ;D

Offline Machinimax

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Sentinel
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2011, 09:59:45 AM »

While I think an item that was originally used to kill people is far better off being converted into a sci-fi/fantasy prop that makes someone really happy and celebrates something positive, I understand why you might argue that as an item it has historical significance and should be preserved...but not the Graflex flash.

So.....all C96's were used to kill people?

This is a heavy blanket statement to use, I would like to disagree emphatically. A functional C96 has more value and use in its original form than in a converted form, this would be my argument for not converting it. A well maintained C96 can still have many more years of shooting left in it and therefore much enjoyment to be had. Plus, there are suitable replicas out there to convert. Now, if there were a C96 that was unusable for firing due to neglect etc. then by all means, it's fair game at that point.

The camera geeks amuse me to no end. What's more humorous is their discussions about this very subject on their tiny forums. What they don't get, is if it weren't for the value attached to these flashes BECAUSE of our hobby, most people would probably have thrown them away by now. There are VERY few people interested in ancient photography technology, and there is more than enough equipment to go around to satisfy the small numbers of their hobby. That said, there are also suitable replicas of this flash for BOTH hobbies to enjoy. Not to mention, very little is done structurally to the flash to ruin it's value. Other than the D-ring, and the ESB grip screws, the ANH version is almost unscathed.

Wow I never knew that! So we're the ones mostly keeping the Graflex alive today eh?

Welcome to saber building. You've taken your first step into a larger world!

"Don't get the idea that your [lightsaber] is a quick little project to be slapped together." - Luke Skywalker

Offline Jm419

• Master Force User
  • Owl Thread Survivor #19
    • The Star Wars Custom Miniature Database
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2011, 10:05:05 AM »
Of course we are.  They used to be $10 at camera meets.  Basically worthless to their hobby... but once they find out it's not so worthless to ours, they get all protective.  It's suddenly much more valuable for them to brag that they have it now.

Offline STARKILLER

• Lord of the Strings
  • Master Force User
  • VADER's VAULT MFG
    • Vaders Vault
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2011, 10:13:08 AM »
Exactly, worthless :D Before the saber/prop hobby exploded, even the camera guys didn't care about them. Now that there is a demand for them for something else besides camera duty, they get all uppity. That's what I find so funny :D

They're lucky they didn't get melted down for cartridge shells during the war really. Good thing that brass wasn't in real shortage then.

Offline Machinimax

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Sentinel
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2011, 10:20:23 AM »
Exactly, worthless :D Before the saber/prop hobby exploded, even the camera guys didn't care about them. Now that there is a demand for them for something else besides camera duty, they get all uppity. That's what I find so funny :D

They're lucky they didn't get melted down for cartridge shells during the war really. Good thing that brass wasn't in real shortage then.

Yeah that or the spice mines of Kessel, smashed into who knows what!  ;D

Welcome to saber building. You've taken your first step into a larger world!

"Don't get the idea that your [lightsaber] is a quick little project to be slapped together." - Luke Skywalker

Offline Corran Horn

• Formerly known as Keil Edge
  • Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • CSJ Props an NEC Certified Installer
    • CSJ Props
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2011, 11:02:59 AM »
It reminds me of dealing with my daughters, leave a toy belonging to one of them on the table for 8 hours untouched, and it's no big deal, as soon as the girl that doesn't own the toy reaches out for it, the other one materializes as if from nowhere screeching "NO! THAT'S MINE!"

"It's only stupid if we die doing it, otherwise it's heroism." -Corran Horn-

Offline parfaitlumiere

• Force User
    • La Parfaite Lumiere
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2011, 07:22:50 AM »
Hopefully for camera parts collectors,it's easy to find a working replica graflex or MPP flash for photography!
I think they can say "thanks" to star wars enthusiasts...
My facebook page,dedicated to lightsabers:
La Parfaite Lumiere

retrousse