fiduciary

Author Topic: Darth Maul Future Run Discussion  (Read 54230 times)

Offline Scorpion

• Master Force User
  • GET OVER HERE!!!
Darth Maul Future Run Discussion
« on: August 22, 2011, 08:33:26 AM »
so ther is a darth maul run comming??
oh man..... when and by who? is it the double or single hilt?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 12:29:03 PM by LUMINARA UNDULI »

JQ SABERS MASTER ORGUS DIN CFX
JQ/LDM/MH GK3 OBI-WAN KENOBI Proffie
JQ MASTER REPLICAS LE SIDIOUS CONVERSION CS3
JQ~OM AWESOMESAUCE MAUL STAFF DUAL CFv7
LDM MKVI LUKE SKYWALKER ROTJ REVEAL CFv6
JQ SABERS OBI-WAN EP4 ANH (RUSSREP)CSV4
FX SABERS VINTAGE GRAFLEX IV ANH CFv5
FX SABERS VINTAGE GRAFLEX V ESB CFv5
JQ SABERS OBI-WAN REVEAL AOTC CS3.0
JQ~VV STARKILLER #2 RUN1 CFv6 cex
JQ~OM ANAKIN "Skinnyflex" CS3
JQ~TRIDCLOUD ANAKIN AOTC CFv7
SC~VV QUIGON JINN #2 CFv5
OM OBIWAN TPM #2 CFv5
JQ SABERS LUKE ROTJ CFv4
JQ~korbanth DOOKU CS2
JQ~korbanth SIDIOUS CS2
JQ SABERS Kylo Ren CS3
LINK TO MY SABERS

Offline Wookiee Man

• Experienced Force User
  • A.K.A Tom Cruise
Re: Darth Maul Future Run Discussion
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 08:52:56 AM »
so ther is a darth maul run comming??
oh man..... when and by who? is it the double or single hilt?
Just speculating that Darth Maul is coming out - nothing for sure but you can't have Episode 1 TPM release with just both Jedi's hilts that won't be fair for all the SITHS!!! I've only seen one Maul with double CF  ;D now can you imagin a accurate Maul CF :o What will be the downpayment be on that $$$$ ;)

Offline KI-ADI-MUNDI

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • "TRUST THE PROCESS"
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 09:14:23 AM »
To do an accurate maul you would really only need one CF... the maul saber was was a double bladed single lightsaber that was cut in half by Obi wan... The real cool trick if you do it as a single saber would be to create a Maul font that gives the effect that there are two boards...

"In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act"

Offline Wookiee Man

• Experienced Force User
  • A.K.A Tom Cruise
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 09:34:05 AM »
To do an accurate maul you would really only need one CF... the maul saber was was a double bladed single lightsaber that was cut in half by Obi wan... The real cool trick if you do it as a single saber would be to create a Maul font that gives the effect that there are two boards...
Interesting KI-ADI-MUNDI - I like that idea  ;) you see thats why I'm not a Sabersmith ;D :D

Offline MACE WINDU

• Formerly known as Nightstorm
  • JEDI/ALLIANCE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Do you have a problem with purple?
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 09:50:10 AM »
I was thinking along those lines too.  If you ran the main LED's in para with each other, there should be plenty of room in the double hilt for more batteries to handle the current right?  As to the font...I was thinking taking revenge and moding it a bit so that you have two of the sounds, just out of phase and mixed together.  Would take some experimentation but I bet something cool could be done.  Fact, some of the Episode I sounds on Nova's CD one are for Maul's as you can here the second blade in some swings and blaster effects.  And of course there's Shadow Sister.  That one is for a double bladed hilt.  This could be wicked awesome.

With two boards though...that would be the most accurate you could achieve.  Who know :)

Offline Scorpion

• Master Force User
  • GET OVER HERE!!!
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 11:10:03 AM »
as good as it would be 2 cf5 boards would make the cost a fortune you would be looking at a $3000 saber
especially if it unscrewed in to 2 seperate battle damaged hilts

OM OBIWAN TPM #2 CFv5
JQ SABERS LUKE ROTJ CFv4
JQ~korbanth DOOKU CS2
JQ~korbanth SIDIOUS CS2
JQ SABERS Kylo Ren CS3
LINK TO MY SABERS

Offline GreyJedi

• Master Force User
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011, 11:20:20 AM »
How would one sent it up for each individual blade to has its own CoF without 2 boards? It wouldnt make much sense for the opposite blade to flash when it is only its counterpart that is making contact.

Offline Shadeslinger

• Master Force User
  • "I will consume your soul before this day is done"
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2011, 11:23:15 AM »
As to the font...I was thinking taking revenge and moding it a bit so that you have two of the sounds, just out of phase and mixed together.  Would take some experimentation but I bet something cool could be done.

Once when I was tinkering around with Goldwave, I loaded Nova's EPI font in and gave it a slight echo/reverb. It wasn't quite perfect but with a little tweaking you can probably get that effect. ;)

Offline Scorpion

• Master Force User
  • GET OVER HERE!!!
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2011, 11:23:47 AM »
yep it probly would need 2 cfs i dont think a single one could power 2 10 watts and all the features
so i guess they would be offerd as a pair or single saber only

OM OBIWAN TPM #2 CFv5
JQ SABERS LUKE ROTJ CFv4
JQ~korbanth DOOKU CS2
JQ~korbanth SIDIOUS CS2
JQ SABERS Kylo Ren CS3
LINK TO MY SABERS

Offline Rhyen Skytracker

• Master Force User
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2011, 12:00:30 PM »
Also keep in mind that with the Maul in order for it to be as accurate as possible it would have to have 7/8" blades at 24" - 26" long each.  A 5W LEDEngin would work just fine with those.  To be 100% accurate it would need 3/4" blades but I refuse to use 3/4" blades in a saber like that.  The best bet would probably be to use 2 PCs in it and use a FoC board. 

But that is a topic for another thread.   ;)

Offline MACE WINDU

• Formerly known as Nightstorm
  • JEDI/ALLIANCE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Do you have a problem with purple?
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2011, 12:11:37 PM »
As much as I would love to have two CF's in one...I agree, it might make the price point too high and in fact, in a saber such as this, two PC's would work quite well, be more easily obtained and make it a slightly less expensive option.  Though not much depending on the cost of the CF's.  For the LED blade effects though...not to mention power on/off effects ect...you'd almost have to have two boards and have it set up essentially as two sabers coupled together.  I have a staff Vergence that LDM did for me a couple of years ago that is exactly that.  It had two US2.5's in it.  In fact its back to him for upgrade to a pair of PC's even now.  So...I'll get that back likely before this run is ready and can give some feed back.

http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=22952.0

« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 12:17:58 PM by Nightstorm »

Offline Sethski

• Master Force User
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2011, 12:16:44 PM »
Re: The hypothetical Maul, I think the thing that would be really challenging for a staff is not having both blades' clashes (and flashes) go off when one was hit. Maybe a combo of the CF near the emitter (which would make sense for a staff anyway), a hard clash setting and some sort of high-tech, shock/vibration-resistant carbon fibre coupler. Or something...

...and if these lovely Qui-Gons are out of my price range, a Maul staff would be past the horizon. Saying that, I'd be quite happy to slum it with an MR Maul staff with twin CFs  :D

Anyway, back on track, sorry for riding on the derail. If I had a higher level of disposable income, this is probably the high-end run that I'd most want to be in on, quite the unicorn. Congrats to future owners - I look forward to enjoying them vicariously - and hoorays and respect to Rhyen and VV for making it happen.

Offline LUMINARA UNDULI

• Master of the purple blade
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly Known As Allaerra
    • Vader's Vault
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2011, 12:27:36 PM »
There are ways to use one CF and run two blades.  There is a lot of thought that would have to go into a Maul run.

If it were as close to screen accurate as possible, it would have to not detach in the middle.  So there needs to be a decision on whether it was made true to the prop, or whether it was made with a quick disconnect.  This important decision will determine soundcard & LED possibilities.

Splitting this off into it's own topic ;).

EDIT had an important typo.  Fixed :D.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 12:44:04 PM by LUMINARA UNDULI »

Facebook: VVFB

Offline Sethski

• Master Force User
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2011, 12:39:31 PM »
Cheers for that, I appreciated it was going off topic when I chipped in, but it's an interesting discussion that deserves to be continued - in its own thread  ;)

Offline Rhyen Skytracker

• Master Force User
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2011, 12:46:00 PM »
Ok, now that this is in it's own thread.  I am planning on making a small run of as close to possible Darth Maul sabers.  The main thing that will make it not screen accurate is the blade and blade holder.  According to the blueprints I have the opening for the blade is 3/4" and I would be using a 7/8" blade.  I would have to scale the emitter up just a little at the narrow part to accomidate for the 7/8" blade.  Also keep in mind that the blades are only 24 - 26" long each and even a 5W red LEDEngin would make a super bright blade.  There are ways to switch the second blade separate and have it mimic the other blade, but how would you have the second blade have it's own power on/off sound with just the one CF?  I think it would work better with 2 PCs.  Plus, with 2 sound boards you have the option of having them as the battle damaged version.  I have no intentions of having a quick disconnect of the sabers as that would take away from the screen accuracy.  Another problem is going to be hiding the sound holes, but I do have an idea on how to do that, I just don't know if I will be able to get enough of them.  Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.  It will be well into next year before I am ready to start this run so we have plenty of time.

retrousse