fiduciary

Author Topic: A Gold Lightsaber: How Could This Be Done Best?  (Read 8260 times)

Offline Darth Wraith

• Master Force User
  • Everything Burns
    • Darth Wraith at Star Wars Space.net
A Gold Lightsaber: How Could This Be Done Best?
« on: February 24, 2010, 02:11:07 PM »
Over time the color Gold has grown on me for a possible color of a lightsaber blade, however I can't think of a great solution as to how to do this with a Lux LED.  There are two ways I can think of off the top of my head.  The first would be using a white Lux III with color disks, but as I am experianced with color disks, I know that they GREATLY reduce the light output within the blade, so I would really like to find an alternative to color disks.  The other option I think of is using an Amber LED, now I admit that I know the least about the Amber LED than any of the others, and I am not sure if any of the bin numbers of Amber Lux III's produces anything close to a nice Gold color.

If any body has any ideas on who one could produce a brilliant Gold Blade color, I would love to hear your advice.

I Am the Lord of Shadow, Even as I am Enveloped by Darkness, So to Shall I be Embraced by the Light.

Offline cannibal869

• I dub thee Darth..........Lecter.
  • Master Force User
  • NUCLEAR POWERED JEDI at work!!!
Re: A Gold Lightsaber: How Could This Be Done Best?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 02:31:56 PM »
Seoul P4 White (or if you can figure out the electronics and cooling/heat sinks, try a white P7) and Lee Color Filters.
I think they charge now for the color swatch sample book, but it's still worth it.

Check around for the "yellow" saber threads and you should be able to come up with some good pictures to give you an idea of what to expect.

Were you planning on making the entire saber gold, or just the blade?

-C

Offline Darth Wraith

• Master Force User
  • Everything Burns
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 02:38:04 PM »
Seoul P4 White (or if you can figure out the electronics and cooling/heat sinks, try a white P7) and Lee Color Filters.
I think they charge now for the color swatch sample book, but it's still worth it.

Check around for the "yellow" saber threads and you should be able to come up with some good pictures to give you an idea of what to expect.

Were you planning on making the entire saber gold, or just the blade?

-C

Thanks for the advice, I may very well try the P4 or P7 White, I'm kind of scared of the P7 lol, I imagine it gets VERY VERY HOT.  I'm planing on making the saber hilt itself black, I'm not a big fan of the "Electrum" Mace Windu look, just not my style.  What are "Lee Color Filters", is that what the TCSS uses, or is that something else?

I Am the Lord of Shadow, Even as I am Enveloped by Darkness, So to Shall I be Embraced by the Light.

Offline darth_call

• Master Force User
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 02:41:10 PM »
Amber LED, ....Bin 2, I think is pretty gold-ish. I have one in my Vader that is pretty Gold, .....sure it's a bin II

Pictures don't do it justice, but here is one anyways:

« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 02:43:01 PM by CHEWBACCA »

Offline Darth Wraith

• Master Force User
  • Everything Burns
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 02:46:18 PM »
Amber LED, ....Bin 2, I think is pretty gold-ish. I have one in my Vader that is pretty Gold, .....sure it's a bin II

Pictures don't do it justice, but here is one anyways:

Thanks Chewbacca, I'll give the bin 2 a look see, I feel like this is probably one of the hardest colors to pull off.

Offline Darksaber 3

• Master Force User
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 02:50:30 PM »
I would deffinatley go for the Amber bin 2 if you can get it, its the most goldish colored LED. However, Seoul recently made their P4 Ambers, so you may want to give them a try, tehy look really nice, and bright, in Jango's thread comparing them to the LEDEngin 5watt Ambers.

Offline cannibal869

• I dub thee Darth..........Lecter.
  • Master Force User
  • NUCLEAR POWERED JEDI at work!!!
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 03:35:00 PM »
hmm those Bin2's are pretty nice. 
I would go for those first if you can find them.
Very nice pics - I always thought the amber LEDs were more... well... orangish

Offline darth_call

• Master Force User
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2010, 03:51:17 PM »
hmm those Bin2's are pretty nice. 
I would go for those first if you can find them.
Very nice pics - I always thought the amber LEDs were more... well... orangish

Some are, I just got BARRIS OFFEE's Liberator in the mail for a repair and sale and it is orange, ......ORANGE.

But sometimes, they lean toward the yellow-ish/gold side of the spectrum

Offline Darth Kevin .T

• Master Force User
  • At last the Snugi are no more!
    • My youtube page
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2010, 04:14:11 PM »
Hey I have a Lux 3 Bin 4 amber saber and its almost gold you should check out my 2 video I have on youtube with it maby that will give you a better idea :)

Offline Jasher Kain

• Master Force User
  • A Knight of the Old Republic
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2010, 04:33:20 PM »
I agree. Amber bins 2 or 4 are as close to "gold" as I've seen.
Are you trying to get the color seen in TFU? If so, that color was more like the KOTOR yellow which is what a bin 2 looks like.

I have some good pics of the bin 4 in action somewhere and it's what the color really looks like in person...
LINK:

Offline Darth Matth

• Master Force User
  • You think I'm mad? Guess what,... I'm Darth Matth!
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2010, 10:09:02 AM »
I know Jango Fett did use a Straw yellow filter with a White LED in one of his sabers he got for sale.
He said it looked very Goldish in his video back than.

Signature teleports you to my lightsaber collection

Offline Jin Ke

• Master Force User
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2010, 10:27:09 AM »
As already posted...  I'd go for a bin 2 for what your looking for.  I had a bin 4 in my search for a more orange color, and it was leading more towards orange than gold.  So I figure bin 2 would be more towards yellow, but the closest to what your after. 

Offline Darth Wraith

• Master Force User
  • Everything Burns
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2010, 12:27:22 PM »
I wanted to thank All of You again for your ideas and advice.  I thought I would add this pic I found off Deviant Art, I think it gives a good visual seperation between Gold and Yellow, orange is very clearly defined, but the seperation between Yellow and Gold is far less evident.

Offline Caine

• Kwai Chang Caine master of duel-fu
  • Master Force User
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2010, 01:14:51 PM »
I am first to admit, I am not one to deviate from the traditional saber colors...but I must say those bin 2 and 4 ambers are SWEET. I may have to look into that for a future build...

Offline Firith Tar

• TWI'LEK SCHOLAR OF THE BLADE
  • Master Force User
  • Parting the clouds, seeking the way...
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2010, 03:37:00 PM »
I for one love Yellow, Gold and Amber... I however dislike orange... ever since I saw Qu Rahn ignite Yun's saber!!! plus I use the gold saber for TFU it is such a good colour for Sith sabers... I always thought for a custom colour that looks good yellow for Jedi and amber/gold for Sith
There is no shame in not knowing; the shame lies in not finding out

retrousse