fiduciary

Author Topic: MHS Tubing Prototype: "Jules" --PIC INTENSIVE--  (Read 14629 times)

Offline Goodman

• Master Force User
MHS Tubing Prototype: "Jules" --PIC INTENSIVE--
« on: January 23, 2010, 10:04:06 PM »
My close friends have already seen this one...

Here are [many] pics of a build currently in progress that I have been using to hone my tubing technique. The saber is named "Jules".  The shots show a sort of "Step By Step" process of building up this latest G-Core prototype.

Carrying on the idea with Advent’s G-Core, but with thicker piping for a more dynamic feel…more depth.  This is a work in progress... I still have to mill grooves on my rotary table (black lines), modify the front section, then weather it, *heavily*. I may also swap out the BH for a custom one later on. 'Going for a slightly "steampunky-but-still-sleek" look.

Started with basic MHS layout, plus a couple details. Switch/board/recharge in the front section, 18500 li-ion cell through the choke, speaker at the rear of the choke facing forward. Sound vents will be the “gills” cut in the forward section. Brass photoetched screen to cover the vents and disguise the inner bits. The black Sharpie marker will eventually be engraved, and may be modified to be backlit…somehow…

I'm going to need a lot more tubing...

Cut out the main core…

Beginning to add the piping…

Those turns are tough to do…

Particularly when trying to make them symmetrical…

‘Added a couple extra pieces…done for the night, but I’ll come back to the piping tomorrow…

The tubes aren't glued at all --everything is hand filed to be pressure fit with zero give. When it's all done I might as well dab some super thin CA to shore everything (capillary action will draw it in the tiny spaces between the tubes).

The weathering will make the core “pop”. Exposed open pommel crystal at the end. The piping will converge at the tip and the G-Core itself will be free floating inside the entire rear MHS section, and can be viewed by looking down the rear end (lol)

A solid afternoon of work later...

I cut the hand filed the tubing at angles, and also beveled any straight edges, to make them look less like tubes. More of a "polished" look...this one has begun to border on Steampunkish.

I also lathed small grooves in the wider tubes, again just to add some dimension to the otherwise plain tubes. The inset mounted blue dot is from a scale train store...it's supposed to be used as a lens or something for really small trains...'nice color to offset all the metallics. 

Overall shot. Those small holes about halfway down the Core is 1/16" copper tubing. I was going to route more brass wiring through them for more detail, but decided to leave them open to help vent the battery when recharging.

And a shot looking down into the pommel. 'May tidy up that top line.

And a final showing other side. I manually stepped up the lathe tool in slight increments to create small grooves along the angled pieces to give some texture to the piece (since I had originally planned on heavily weathering it with Aluminum Black)

New Specs: Single 18650 mounted in the rear of the core, speaker at the DF Adapter facing forward, 1.3mm port and accent led mounted in the choke, MR-Yoda board in the forward section under the switch...I'll be adding some detail visible through the "gills" to hide the board/wiring. I will probably use either a Lux3 Cyan b1, a Cree Blue, or an LE5W Amber. 'Haven't decided....

The Core is pressure fit deeply into the DF-Adapter and secured with a 4-40 set screw from the outside. The Core pushes up against the front facing speaker mount, so no rattles without having to use glue (too tight of a fit to reach in there).

One of my fav pics so far...

That knurled knob on the end isn't the kill key...yet. I haven't decided if I want to put it there or not. Because of the "older" feel that the saber has (at least to me), I was thinking of mounting a D-ring on that end. I have one that I think Arm on Fire made.  The kill key would be in the choke, where the recharge port is currently mounted.

I swapped out the AV switch back to the original shorter switch (Thanks Eastern57, you were right ;)).

Trying something else new (for me, at least --LDM has already used them)... photoetched brass parts. I needed something to cover those gills and add some color/texture to the front end. 

I also would enjoy some input on the main LED color. Lux3 Cyan b1, LE5W Amber, or Cree Blue.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 10:15:14 PM by Goodman »
**I AM RETIRED from saber commission building**

Offline Goodman

• Master Force User
Re: MHS Tubing Prototype: "Jules" --PIC INTENSIVE--
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 10:07:48 PM »
Stay tuned for more pictures as I finish this saber up later this month...
**I AM RETIRED from saber commission building**

Offline Aluke123

• Master Force User
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 10:08:44 PM »
As I said at JSSDC, that saber is 10 tons of win. The tubing reminds me of a really nice, clean car engine. Bravo!

Lord Maul on TCSS

Offline darth_call

• Master Force User
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010, 10:12:14 PM »
oddly enough, my favorite part of this is the gold mesh.
There is so much going on on that hilt it is hard to take, but it's 150% win!

congrats on this build, it is remarkable!

Offline cannibal869

• I dub thee Darth..........Lecter.
  • Master Force User
  • NUCLEAR POWERED JEDI at work!!!
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2010, 10:47:43 PM »
dude, that is a phenomenal saber!  Truly a work of art! I wish we had a jaw drop emoticon...

Offline pneumoniaprone

• Master Force User
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2010, 10:57:25 PM »
Looks great. I think the stuff you have been doing with your cores adds a great level of detail and believability to the sabers. It just adds so much to the build. Kudos.

Offline QUI-GON JINN

• Also known as Jay-gon Jinn!
  • JEDI/ALLIANCE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Your focus determines your reality
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2010, 11:03:00 PM »
I can't find the right words,  so I'll use some smilies instead:
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 11:06:36 PM by QUI-GON JINN »

Offline Jasher Kain

• Master Force User
  • A Knight of the Old Republic
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2010, 11:17:53 PM »
Wow...saber building has just gone to a whole new level. :o

The two-tone piping looks great and I also really like that gold mesh. So much WIN in this saber. 8)

Offline ARKM

• Master Force User
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2010, 12:06:59 AM »
Wow.  Just... wow.  Awesome work as usual Goodman.

Offline vex

• Sith Commander
  • Experienced Force User
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2010, 12:24:26 AM »
That thing is just.. wow.. I needed some inspiration! Kudos man!

Offline Akaius

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2010, 12:55:03 AM »
Are you kidding me?!  Seriously?!  Seriously that is amazing! Goodman wow, really wow. Well done man.

Offline Onli-Won Kanomi

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Knight Of Faith
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2010, 01:27:48 AM »
Another "WOW" saber [and I dont mean World Of Warcraft]...I'm loving those 'steampunk pipes'...AMAZING workmanship + a brilliant design = TOTAL WIN.
To DREAM the IMPOSSIBLE DREAM. To FIGHT the unbeatable foe. To BEAR with unbearable sorrow. To RUN where the brave dare not go. To RIGHT the unrightable wrong. To LOVE, PURE AND CHASTE, FROM AFAR [-sigh-]. To TRY, when your arms are too weary; to REACH the unreachable Star!... This is my Quest; To follow that Star, no matter how hopeless, no matter how far...

Offline Torinn Zoler

• Formerly known as Ben Skywalker
  • Master Force User
  • I ain't seen it all, but I've sure seen alot of it
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2010, 06:19:54 AM »
WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN! ;D ;D ;D

Another awesome piece of work, Goodman! For the LED color.......I'ma thinkin' a Cyan Bin 1 would look really nice on this one.

"Turning the whole world Luxeon-lit, one shattered lightbulb at a time."

Offline Master Jedye

• The Master of the School for the Dremel-Fu Gifted
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as Master Jedye
    • Gemini Concepts
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2010, 07:16:48 AM »
I can't find the right words,  so I'll use some smilies instead:

QFT!

That's some serious Pipe-Fu!

First place winner in the 19 BBY \"Mustafar LavaRock Belly Crawl\"

Offline General Kota

• Master Force User
  • Formerly known as R2-Q5
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2010, 09:58:40 AM »
COOL!!!!

General Kota's
        Sabers
---------------------------
- Larbel
    Larbel Qui Gon Jinn non el ready with a PC-U and a crystal chamber   (finished machining)
-JQSABERS
    Luke Hero V2 custom (In building process)
 - Planing stage
    Nothing :)

retrousse