fiduciary

Author Topic: New Year's Resolution Contest - Official Thread - WINNER NAMED!!!!  (Read 31324 times)

Offline Dearth Breather

• "The Pat Pat Guy"
  • Master Force User
Re: New Year's Resolution Contest - Official Thread
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2010, 05:40:46 AM »
Just a progress report with a little twist to it, folks. :) I got Ms Offee's permission to post excerpts of the parts of one of my goals here. The complete versions will go to her and her sister for judging.

Official Contest Entry Progress Report #1: Prologue

“Auntie, would you please tell me a bedtime story?”

The kindly old lady adjusted the glasses perched on the bridge of her nose and smiled at her grandniece. Little Pauline was hopping up and down excitedly on the bed, just like her mother used to do at that tender age.

“Of course I will, hon,” the old lady said. “We can’t have a night without a bedtime story, now can we?”

“Yay!” the girl cheered. “Let me get your story book for you, Auntie!”

Pauline turned to the wooden drawer beside her bed. A thick, leather-bound volume lay on top of it. She extended a hand toward it, but stopped several feet short of actually grasping the book, her brow furrowed in concentration.

Moments later, the story book rose into the air, held aloft by some invisible force. It floated steadily toward the little girl’s hand. She caught the book and proudly handed it to her aunt. 

“Thank you, my dear,” her aunt said, setting the heavy volume aside on one corner of the bed. “But we won’t need this tonight.”

The little girl blinked in confusion. “Aww. How come, Auntie?”

The old woman rolled her wheelchair up to the side of her granddaughter’s bed. “Because I have a very special story to tell you.”

“Oh!” Pauline plopped down on the bed, pulled the covers up to her waist, and drew her knees up. She wrapped her arms around her legs, rested her chin on her knees and waited expectantly.

“I haven’t told this story to anyone else,” the aunt said with a twinkle in her eye. “So listen carefully, all right?”

The child's eyes widened. “What’s it about?”

“It’s about some very, very brave people who made a difference in my life and in the lives of others.”

“Cool!” Pauline beamed. “Who are they?”

“Patience, my dear. I’m getting to that.” She took her reading glasses off, carefully folded them, and set them on top of the book.

“If you won’t need the book, then how do you know the story, Auntie?” the persistent child inquired.

The old woman tapped her temple with her index finger. ‘The story is right here, sweetie,” she said. “And here as well.” She pointed to the middle of her chest.

“Someone told it to you?” Pauline raised a curious brow. “Did you make it up?”

The aunt shook her head. “No one told it to me, my dear. This story is completely true. I saw it with my own eyes a long time ago…”

Offline ASAJJ VENTRESS

• you think YOU have a bad hair day...
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Simple isn't always easy.
    • Gemini Concepts
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2010, 12:28:33 PM »
ok, starting my new year's resolution by having Li'l Sis cut down on the carb on the shopping list.  That means no Stove Top stuffing, no mac 'n cheese and NO CHEESY POOFS! *sob!*  Yesterday's breakfast: trail mix of almonds, penuts, and raisins  lunch: cous cous with mixed vegetables and turkey sausage.  Dinner: grilled salmon.  I'm also cutting down to one cup coffee (now with 2% milk) and drinking more water.

I wasn't a happy camper, but after looking at the pics I took last night (more to post if my home computer behaves himself tonight) I really didn't have a right to grumble.

For everything you gain, you lose something else.

How "Freedom of Speech" works:  you have the freedom to say whatever you want, BUT you also have the freedom to suffer the consequences

Dream Big, Build Bigger.

Offline The Highwayman

• Formerly known as Caden
  • Master Force User
  • Political Thread Pioneer #1
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2010, 06:04:04 PM »
I maxed 185 once. Rep'd 175 3 times. I'm on my way to my goal! :D :D

"It's obvious that the price of this game cannot be determined by our knowledge of fair market value, but by our skills with a lightsaber." - Obi-wan (Jedimoves)

Offline Dearth Breather

• "The Pat Pat Guy"
  • Master Force User
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2010, 08:04:23 PM »
Go, go, all!  8)

Offline ASAJJ VENTRESS

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
    • Gemini Concepts
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2010, 12:28:04 PM »
Popping in to bump the thread and remind everyone that the deadline to enter the contest is Sunday!!!

I'm seeing some really great strides towards our goal, everyone keep up the good work!!!

As for me, I have proudly declined offers of Office Snack foods (chocolate covered pretzels, how I miss thee!) and have successfully passed by Micky D's when my filet o' fish craving hit me.  I've also talked to my Task mas-- er trainer and we switched up my routine.  It now hurts to even sneeze.  My hair was cramping.  I'm still a whiny little baby, but hopefully this will make me a little-er baby.

So, good luck to everyone!  Keep up the good work!!!

How "Freedom of Speech" works:  you have the freedom to say whatever you want, BUT you also have the freedom to suffer the consequences

Dream Big, Build Bigger.

Offline Senti Xamas

• Master Force User
  • When the light is green, the trap is clean.
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2010, 07:10:40 PM »
Chiming in here to say I passed the first part of my new year's resolution. I am now a certified aircraft mechanic! No more tests, studying, im done! Now all I have to do is drop 20 pounds. I thought the tests were pressure.

Offline Amptrooper

• Master Force User
  • Imperial Royal Arms SaberSmith AmpTrooper Sabers
    • Imperial Royal Arms
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2010, 08:21:30 PM »
Chiming in here to say I passed the first part of my new year's resolution. I am now a certified aircraft mechanic! No more tests, studying, im done! Now all I have to do is drop 20 pounds. I thought the tests were pressure.
That's great!!! Congratulations!!!!

Offline Dearth Breather

• "The Pat Pat Guy"
  • Master Force User
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2010, 10:07:42 PM »
Congratulations, folks! Keep going!

Offline Red Five

• Master Force User
  • "My daddy can whoop your daddy!" -Luke Skywalker
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2010, 01:00:31 PM »
My New Year's Resolution/Goal is something that I've been wanting to do for a few years now...illustrate a children's book. I'm want to keep it simple and short - somewhere around 25-30 pages. Not sure about story really, just that it centers around a raccoon. So my goal is to have a rough draft done by the middle of the year and finished before the end of it.

Offline ASAJJ VENTRESS

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
    • Gemini Concepts
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2010, 02:08:11 PM »
Red Five, you just squeaked in!  Today is the last day to post your entry for the contest!

Good luck all!

Dream Big, Build Bigger.

Offline Jedi Yar Nala

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
    • Online Portfolio
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2010, 08:14:13 PM »
Alright... why not...

Mine is to learn the guitar by the summer... June/July (or whenever the deadline is)...

I know... this seems easy enough... but with constant work... me gone for the month of February, a baby to care for... I have like NO time to do this... but I'll try.

:)

How skilled? To play AND sing confidently for 3 songs in 3 keys with NO Capo.!!!

Trust me... I get ragged on at church for NOT playing the guitar... so this is my incentive as well!!!

Offline Master Durangus

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Graphics Designer
    • Durangus Designs on IRA
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2010, 08:37:17 PM »
Well, Barriss has my entry in a PM, but I guess I'll explain the concept, and my progress, so far.

My goal was to create a blog (wordpress) summarizing my thoughts on the treatment of women in today's society, including principles of dating (or courting, I use them interchangeably) or marriage, from a Christian standpoint. This is something that has been on my heart for an extended period of time... I've tried to share what I think, but I just think I should try my best to have my voice heard.

My goal was to build up a blog with my thoughts in posts, have Q&A sessions with people to answer some questions and try my best to make a difference in this area.

So far, I've created the blog and have several posts up. I'm working on more, making a "base" of posts before I release it to the public. The progress has been good :).

-Graphic Designer (See Bottom Link)-

The Forgotten Jedi....
-Alexander Durangus-

MD's Digital Porfolio

Offline WEDGE ANTILLES

• formerly known as Cobalt60
  • FX-SABERS VIP II
  • Master Force User
  • May the LAG be with you
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2010, 02:33:03 AM »
Alright... why not...

Mine is to learn the guitar by the summer... June/July (or whenever the deadline is)...

I know... this seems easy enough... but with constant work... me gone for the month of February, a baby to care for... I have like NO time to do this... but I'll try.

:)

How skilled? To play AND sing confidently for 3 songs in 3 keys with NO Capo.!!!

Trust me... I get ragged on at church for NOT playing the guitar... so this is my incentive as well!!!

be like kurt cobain: tune to an open D so all your major chords are just one finger and you won't need to learn anything. rely on catchy riffs and vocal melodies and genius songwriting.  ;) you'll get by.
"The Star Wars story is really the tragedy of Darth Vader. That is the story.
Once Vader dies, he doesn't come back to life, the Emperor doesn't get cloned, and Luke doesn't get married..."
- George Lucas

Offline ASAJJ VENTRESS

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
    • Gemini Concepts
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2010, 11:39:28 AM »
And with THAT, ladies, gentlemen, Wookies and Jawa, is the end of enrollement in my little contest. for a free saber.

Good luck to us all!  I know that in the end, we're all winners (corny as that sounds) because regardless of who gets that yummy Salem Series, we've all worked hard to improve ourselves.

And yes, I'm still with the Bird Food and denial of cheesecake!

Dream Big, Build Bigger.

Offline The Highwayman

• Formerly known as Caden
  • Master Force User
  • Political Thread Pioneer #1
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2010, 05:15:05 PM »
MD, I'd be very interested in reading that blog whenever you feel like it is ready to go public. I find sociology very interesting.

"It's obvious that the price of this game cannot be determined by our knowledge of fair market value, but by our skills with a lightsaber." - Obi-wan (Jedimoves)

retrousse