fiduciary

Author Topic: Purple LED?  (Read 9928 times)

Offline $tarkiller

• No Force
  • "I am not AN apprentice. I am THE apprentice."
Purple LED?
« on: November 27, 2009, 05:00:36 PM »
Hi all. I was wondering what your opinions were about a good idea for a purple LED? I am familiar with the White P4 and lee filter idea, but it's been 6 months since I ordered my swatchbook. I am looking for a faster method of finding a purple LED. Any ideas?

Offline Senti Xamas

• Master Force User
  • When the light is green, the trap is clean.
Re: Purple LED?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2009, 05:09:16 PM »
RGB leds are one of the more popular ways to get a good purple without the swatches. There are a few sabersmiths here though that do awesome purples.

Offline OBI-WAN KENOBI

• Resident Negotiator
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • You don't want to sell me death sticks.
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2009, 05:16:38 PM »
The P5 purple is your best option. 

Offline LUMINARA UNDULI

• Master of the purple blade
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly Known As Allaerra
    • Vader's Vault
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2009, 05:21:25 PM »
The P5 RGB is good, as well as the prolight RGB.  There are no purple highpowered LEDs.  You have to mix the color yourself ;)

Facebook: VVFB

Offline Master Jedye

• The Master of the School for the Dremel-Fu Gifted
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as Master Jedye
    • Gemini Concepts
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2009, 06:04:21 PM »
Kingbright RGB's are nice... but more expensive than Prolights (Same method as mentioned by Luminara)

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Kingbright/AAD1-9090BRGC-01-3-S/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMt82OzCyDsLFGYkiLlm6NJSHXgxh1kdSug%3d
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 06:06:27 PM by Master Jedye »

First place winner in the 19 BBY \"Mustafar LavaRock Belly Crawl\"

Offline Darth Inferis

• Master Force User
  • UK sabersmith
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2009, 05:34:36 PM »
I just recently fitted my Mace Windu with what I understand is an RGB luxeon. Initially I found one drawback was that by having the first 3 wires power the blue filament & the last 3 wires power the red the blade goes blue first for a second then the red kicks in & the blade goes purple. I found an easy way around this by wiring the odd numbered wires to the blue & the even ones to the red. There's still a split second of blue blade on deactivation but it's barely noticable.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 05:38:40 PM by Darth Inferis »
Beware the Mark of the Gungan! :o

Offline Alex

• No Force
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 04:09:06 PM »
Any links on where I can buy a purple P5?  I want to buy an Oppressor from UltraSabers and make it purple

Offline LUMINARA UNDULI

• Administrator
  • Master Force User
    • Vader's Vault
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2010, 04:56:25 PM »

Offline Alex

• No Force
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2010, 11:24:17 PM »
Any sites based in the US and that are in English?

Offline GENERAL GRIEVOUS

• Call 1-800-GENERAL now!
  • SITH/EMPIRE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • The Saber Artist formerly known as LDM
    • ldmcustomsabers.com
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2010, 12:21:14 AM »

nope.

Offline LUMINARA UNDULI

• Administrator
  • Master Force User
    • Vader's Vault
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2010, 05:52:22 AM »

Alex, you can change the site to English by clicking the English flag on the top right.

Your other option is to use the Prolight RGB which can be found all over EBAY and there are several US sellers.  Here is a link to the store of one I have had great success with: http://stores.ebay.com/cece718_Prolight-1w-3w-Stars_W0QQ_fsubZ539910016QQ_sidZ352223206QQ_trksidZp4634Q2ec0Q2em322 .  You would want the 3W prolight RGB ;).

Offline JediKnightBJ

• Master Force User
  • The crystal is the heart of the blade. The heart i
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2010, 02:07:37 PM »
Master Luminara, I apologize for the necro-post here, but I am need a bit of assistance.  I ordered one of the LED's from your previous post. I'm having trouble with the resistor set up and using a 6v (4xAAA) battery pack.  I don't have the resistors handy, but so far, I've been able to make a bright pink saber, with a really bright red, and semi-dead blue.  Could you tell me what ohm and watt resistors you would recommend for a 6v (4xAAA) battery pack.

This is a link to the LED I purchased:
http://cgi.ebay.com/1-x-3w-RGB-LED-Common-Cathode-Ships-Sameday-NYC-/230472405745?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35a939d2f1

Thanks for your help.
The crystal is the heart of the blade. The heart is the crystal of the Jedi. The Jedi is the crystal of the Force. The Force is the blade of the heart. All are intertwined: the crystal, the blade, the Jedi. You are one."-Luminara Unduli.

Offline LUMINARA UNDULI

• Administrator
  • Master Force User
    • Vader's Vault
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2010, 03:26:26 PM »
No worries on the Necro post.  The thing with purple, is that it is a bit of a pain.  There is not one resistor that will get the perfect purple.  Several people claim to have imitated OSPP but they haven't really.  They've found a resistor that gives them a purplish color under a certain set of circumstances most of the time.  The trick to OSPP is that it is the exact purple that I like (my favorite color) and is calculated each and every time.  There is variety in power sources, drivers, and the LEDs themselves that make it impossible to say...OK you need a 1/2W 15ohm resistor (for example).  It completely depends on what batteries you are using, how the LED is driven, and the LED itself.  We have found, even on our stunts where we use the same LEDs and the same 3AAA batteries and even the same type of battery there is still variance in the exact resistor to achieve the perfect purple.  We use a potentiometer and calibrate the resistance on each and every purple saber we do.  We keep drawers filled with resistors :D.  If you don't want to go through all the rigamarole with the potentiometer, the other option is to just try a handful of resistors and pick the best one (which is what most people do). :)

Offline madmartigan

• Padawan Learner
  • Formerly Paul Toohey
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2011, 11:51:13 AM »
nice tip Darth Inferis, i probably would have pulled my hair out figuring that out. now i get purple straight away

vintage graflex with exactra bubble strip and a cfv5 ready for install

Offline DariusZelke

• Padawan Learner
  • Jedi Knight Darius Zelke
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2011, 07:32:39 AM »
I recomend finding Vader's Vault and getting their Purpolicious (is that how it's spelled?) Purple.
"It takes a strong man to fall to the dark side, but it takes an even stronger man to stay true to the light!"
-Ulin Marek (me)
"If he is not the Chosen One, then we must realize that with his power this could be a very dangerous place for him to be."
-Qui Gon Jinn

retrousse