fiduciary

Author Topic: ArkLight Arsenal: MHS L-ROTJ with G-Core Evo (MANY PICS! BEWARE!)  (Read 7111 times)

Offline Goodman

• Master Force User
Latest from ArkLight Arsenal...

MHS-Based Luke Skywalker Return of The Jedi-Inspired Saber with G-Core Evo

The Basics:

MHS parts from thecustomsabershop.com
Vader's MHS-compatible ribbed/neck section
PC'ing by Gemini Concepts
UltraSoundv2.5
LuxV Green
1W Speaker
7.2V Li-ion pack
In-hilt recharge

The Goodies:

G-Core Evo  8)
Wireless Switch Mechanism

The G-Core Evo is my second tier line of internal electronics modules. Whereas the G-Core Prix (as recently seen on the K3GR1 Advent) completely encases the soundboard and batteries, the G-Core Evo is designed with budgets in mind, instead integrating a compromise between having a displayable "Core" and still having ready access to the board/battery.

The saber was intended to showcase one avenue of potential of TCSS' MHS parts system, which I have always advocated as a benchmark upon which so many people in our hobby base their sabers.

I started with a basic L-ROTJ layout using MHS parts. The one addition was Vader's MHS-compatible ribbed/neck piece, which negated the 1" of flat space common with the standard MHS part. At the time I was not aware that Tim didn't sanction the run, but since I had already paid for it, it didn't make sense not to use it...

First step, PLANNING.

The primary "gimmick" of this saber would be the ability to remove the outer saber body to reveal the entire core inside. The narrow neck piece of the L-ROTJ saber layout, however, presented a problem: I could not simply remove the blade holder and slide out all the guts, because the neck was thinner than rest of the body, and the heatsink was wider than it, too. SO, that meant I would have to devise a way to completely separate the LED/heatsink from the inner main core, WITHOUT any wires. Hmmm...

To start, this is what I came up with:

The main module would hold a stacked batt pack and USv2, with a cosmetic extension lathed to look like the "guts" of a saber. The heatsink held one side of a JST connector, and that long  cylinder held the other side of the JST connector. The cylinder was adjustable for depth, so I could precisely align the connectors when screwed in place within the MHS pieces before securing it in place to the main module with a set screw.

Everything was adjusted and aligned so that it was a snug fit inside the MHS pieces. Checking alignment here...

I then took the basic core, here:

And machined a few details:

That long cylinder was ported to show a crystal inside it, and the LED wires (from the JST) were run under it via brass tube. Behind the crystal was a 4 pin accent LED, with tiny wires cut to length to meet up with the USv2.5, again with ZERO slack.

Finally, the heatsink was extended and decorated a bit:

Final tests of alignment of the finished module:

[size=12
pt]Now, it was time to get to work on the electronics. [/size]

The gimmick of being able to unscrew the entire body off of the saber presented a new challenge. How do I have a switch, which is on the outside of the saber body wall? The answer: create a spring tensioned plunger. In effect a "wireless switch", this mechanism is very simple. It consists of a hole drilled into the saber body, hidden beneath the clamp box. A hole is drilled into the clamp box's switch plate face, and the pin is set with spring tension between the bottom of that plate and the outer saber body wall. The pin is cut to a specific length, such that when it is depressed from the switch plate face side, it protrudes downward INTO the saber body, by about 0.08", which is just enough to touch a flat tactile switch embedded on the Core module itself. Essentially, you're reaching into the saber to turn it on  :o. When you release the switch plate, the spring pushes the pin up and out of the saber body, so now the threads are free to spin and you can disassemble the saber.   ...If that didn't make any sense, just watch my YouTube videos about this saber  ;D

The switch needs to stay flush with the core module, or it would snag along the inner body wall when unscrewing the pieces. So, I began by milling a channel for the switch to a precise depth:

Filed recess for the USv2.5 to sit with enough clearance not to actually touch the wall.

Wiring in place...tweezers required:

All finished and sewn in:

This shot shows the minimal wire slack in the pommel. The pommel was screwed in "in reverse". In other words, the pommel was attached to the G-Core, then, using tweezers through the port hole, the port has held steady while the threaded pommel insert was carefully rotated around the stationary port itself until it caught the threads and slowly rose until secure. The result is zero twisted wires, and zero slack in the wire space between the port leads and the speaker channel pass.

FINISHED PICS:

Closeup of the forward module:

Top view, showing just the forward module again:

On the floor:

And here is the completed saber, with clothes:

And without clothes, in "display mode" with just the forward module exposed:

The saber can also be displayed with both the forward and rear modules exposed. I don't have a picture of that...but it's in the videos.

OKAY, VIDEOS.
Be sure to watch all three, in order, so it all makes sense:

1 of 3: 

2 of 3:

3 of 3:

« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 01:38:10 PM by Goodman »
**I AM RETIRED from saber commission building**

Offline rotsman09

• Master Force User
  • "A man chooses, a slave obeys. I chose.. Rapture"
Re: Goodman's MHS L-ROTJ with G-Core Evo (MANY PICS!!! BEWARE!!!)
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2009, 12:53:41 PM »
Woah... John you are on FIRE!!!

When I first heard of your "G-Core" I thought it was going to be have 4 saber hilts and one main core to slide in and out to interchange but this is so much better man!

Is the board touching that metal chassis directly?  It looks like a really tight fit man!
Great work on the switch!  The pin/spring is great!
This thing must be heavy.. Is it?
This is where the fun begins!

Proud owner of an AMAZING MR v2 stunt LDM/Caine
-Starkillers coming soon...in summer.. Too much work...

Offline wookieecrisp

• Master Force User
  • Let the Wookiee Win!
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2009, 12:58:43 PM »
:o :o :o :o :o :o Oh my god that's awesome Goodman!

Offline Goodman

• Master Force User
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2009, 01:05:17 PM »
1) The G-Core Basic is designed to slide into a few popular MHS layout configurations, cheap and accessible to many people. The G-Core Evo is designed to fit into just a couple of specific MHS layout configurations with minor modifications, and costs a bit more. The G-Core Prix is custom built by me to fit each saber, and costs the most.   <---those are the differences ;)   Note how the cylinder in this G-Core Evo is adjustable for depth? Yeah, that allows this particular Core to fit a range of MHS layouts. Any saber with that rear body pattern and less than 5" of body in the front (not including the heatsink depth) can use the G-Core Evo that is pictured in this thread.

2) A lot of my work hinged on tolerances. To answer your question, no, the board doesn't touch any metal, anywhere. The recess in the picture was filed to prevent such a thing. Obviously, any touching on metal risks shorting, and what would the point be of me building a saber if it was just going to short circuit?

3) It's about as heavy as an MRFX saber hilt, but narrower in width. It is quite comfortable in my hands and I prefer the added weight. Solid in hand, but not depressingly heavy at all.

Offline Salvatore1971

• Master Force User
  • "Yes, I know, I have a toupée on my head!"
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2009, 01:08:52 PM »
Here's how will be my next saber!  :o Not another L-ROTJ, obviously, but something similar - or "sui generis"!  ;)

John, is already your diary full for the next months?  ;D  ;D (I'm joking, my friend, I know your diary is already full!)

I'm Italian. Sorry in advance for my bad english! :D

Offline rotsman09

• Master Force User
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2009, 01:10:56 PM »
Cool man! LOL I didn't mean any disrespect in the first post.  LOL,

I'll PM you with my plan on a saber with G-core shortly. Stay tuned..
I knew it wasn't touching, I meant like is there any thing separating the board to the metal besides air. Like a tube we all know.

Hehe sorry Goodman..

Offline Jin Ke

• Master Force User
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2009, 01:13:49 PM »
Holy schnikes man!!!!!   You are def on a roll..... :o :o :o   I would love to have any of the sabers you have posted in the past few days...

Offline Goodman

• Master Force User
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2009, 01:28:51 PM »
Don't worry, rotsman, I didn't think you were being negative at all. :D It's a valid question.

The Core's two bulkheads (at either end of the battery pack section) are the widest part of the entire module, so they are what actually comes into contact with the inner wall of the MHS pieces. The battery pack and board never actually touch it because they are narrower than the bulkheads, and because there is zero shifting in those bulkheads because they're lathed out of one solid piece, it is literally impossible for the board to ever reach the inner wall.

As I hinted to earlier, on these kinds of projects it is all about planning, design, and tolerances.

Offline Salvatore1971

• Master Force User
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2009, 01:30:49 PM »
The design of this (wonderful) saber recalls me that one in the cut scene of ROTJ (the movie) in which Luke builds and tests his own saber. Very detailed. I know that someone has built it, but I don't remember who and where. Anyone of you can help me?  :-\

Offline rotsman09

• Master Force User
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2009, 01:35:35 PM »
The design of this (wonderful) saber recalls me that one in the cut scene of ROTJ (the movie) in which Luke builds and tests his own saber. Very detailed. I know that someone has built it, but I don't remember who and where. Anyone of you can help me?  :-\
Sal-Yup, its on the RPF... I'll search for a link,

Goodman- I get you, It's a great design, my project won't be this easy though, I've been planning it for months, I haven't told anyone until now.. Hehe..

Offline ARKM

• Master Force User
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2009, 01:36:19 PM »
Simply awesome.  Love the concept and implementation of the G-Core.

Offline Salvatore1971

• Master Force User
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2009, 01:39:17 PM »
Sal-Yup, its on the RPF... I'll search for a link,

Goodman- I get you, It's a great design, my project won't be this easy though, I've been planning it for months, I haven't told anyone until now.. Hehe..

Thanks, rotsman09!  ;D

Hey, I'm noticing that you sabersmiths are unleashing your inventiveness! Good for us customers! ;D
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 01:46:19 PM by Salvatore1971 »

Offline Goodman

• Master Force User
Re: ArkLight Arsenal: MHS L-ROTJ with G-Core Evo (MANY PICS! BEWARE!)
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2009, 01:42:45 PM »
Yes, a limited run is being done by someone on TheRPF. I missed out on the run, but it does look like a fantastic piece. Obviously his is much more accurate to 1:1 scale, but then again, mine can be used to beat people with lights and sounds, so it's a tie, hahaha ;D.

Offline rotsman09

• Master Force User
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2009, 01:43:49 PM »
Yes, a limited run is being done by someone on TheRPF. I missed out on the run, but it does look like a fantastic piece. Obviously his is much more accurate to 1:1 scale, but then again, mine can be used to beat people with lights and sounds, so it's a tie, hahaha ;D.

Nah man you win!  His saber is $700........ but it's really really nice!   ;D ;D ;D :D :D

Offline Salvatore1971

• Master Force User
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2009, 01:52:33 PM »

Yeah, that's a beautiful saber, but it's 50% fun!  ;D Your one, John, is 100% fun (with lights and sound)!  ;)

retrousse