fiduciary

Author Topic: Coming Soon to ArkLight Arsenal.... Modular "G-Core" System  (Read 12947 times)

Offline ASAJJ VENTRESS

• you think YOU have a bad hair day...
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Simple isn't always easy.
    • Gemini Concepts
Re: Coming Soon to ArkLight Arsenal.... Modular "G-Core" System
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2009, 11:51:38 AM »
did someone say Steampunk?  SWOON!!!

For everything you gain, you lose something else.

How "Freedom of Speech" works:  you have the freedom to say whatever you want, BUT you also have the freedom to suffer the consequences

Dream Big, Build Bigger.

Offline ARKM

• Master Force User
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2009, 12:11:44 PM »
Great Idea Goodman.  Very cool.

Offline Snake-Eyes

• Experienced Force User
  • Si vis pacem, para bellum
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2009, 11:34:47 AM »
Awesome!  Modular core to a Modular system... makes custom work and "hey, I wonder what this will look/feel/balance like?" so much quicker to do...  Closer to instant gratification.  :)

Just a couple questions:
1) With the recharge port on the flat pommel end, is that a resonance cut-out just above it, for the speaker?
2)  Are the LEDs swappable like an MLS or QD design?  or are they built-in to the core...

As a thought for your dilema on what lengths to make: perhaps you could incorporate an "extension-friendly" area, a male/female threaded junction that normally just stays screwed together.  If it's near the pommel end, you just leave a few extra inches of wiring folded up in there with one QD per wire section, so if the person wants to change the length on their MHS shell, they just do a few easy steps:
1- take out the core
2- unscrew the extension area
3- disconnect the wires running through it
4- insert the appropriate sized extension tube/addition to one side
5- reconnect the wires via the QD's
6- screw down the other side
7- reinsert the core into the new-length hilt.

Easy.   8)

I am Greatly looking forward to this one...  Perfect for the modular capabilities of a CF...   ;D

Never under-estimate the Will and Ingenuity of the Oppressed...

Offline GENERAL GRIEVOUS

• Call 1-800-GENERAL now!
  • SITH/EMPIRE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • The Saber Artist formerly known as LDM
    • ldmcustomsabers.com
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2009, 02:11:59 PM »
Lol, LDM, yet *another* reason why we need to meet up and talk shop.  ;)

Onli-Won Kanomi, the "power cell" section is swappable --3.7V 18650 2400mAh, 4.8V NiMH 1100mAh, or 7.2V RCR123A 900mAh. 

And meet up we shall!

Hate it.   ;)

but he'll take 60 of them STAT! ~ Chewie  ;D ;D ;D ;D

ROFLCOPTER...160 not 60 ;)

Offline Goodman

• Master Force User
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2009, 12:44:48 AM »
Hi Snake-Eyes,

The G-Core, at least the MHS versions, are designed to attach to the copper BH heatsinks, so yes, you could just as easily swap out another led/heatsink setup with a mini QD.

The channel behind the charge port isn't for sound per se --it's more to allow air into the core itself so the speaker has something to move behind it. In reality, the speaker on the prototype core pictured faced forward, and is near the base of the crystal chamber. The square grooves are the main speaker "holes", and the crystal chamber itself is vented and designed to act somewhat like a resonator. 'Still working on the design as I said, but for not it is satisfyingly loud.

Also, the extension is good idea, and one that I've been tinkering with some time now. The problem frankly isn't necessarily length, because as you said, that's easily circumvented by providing an extension piece (mathmatically there aren't *too* many of these to solve for 90% of MHS saber configurations). The real problem is the varying IDs when you introduce other parts. The male/male adapters, for example. Or the chokes. Or most obviously, the ribbed sections, which are narrower than the main body sections. As stated earlier, a single chassis cannot account for that many configurations. "Modular" is both a requisite and a limitation.

For now, my plan is to make a couple versions as earlier detailed, that will be compatible with a good number of MHS configurations. 'Enough to make people most people happy. As they say in business, it isn't about making every single product that will sell --it's about making the products that will sell well.

**I AM RETIRED from saber commission building**

Offline Firedrops

• Force User
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2009, 03:53:08 AM »
ohohoho thats sooo close to what i asked for in the email, it almost seems like you made it for me. lol.

oh and. G stands for GoOdMaN, i assume?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 03:56:56 AM by Firedrops »
credits to Paul Lanski(for making these models)

Offline Goodman

• Master Force User
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2009, 12:10:49 PM »
No, the "G" in "G-Core" stands for "Goober".

Actually, I meant "Groupie".

No, I really meant "Gastrointestinaldisease".

Though originally it was a toss up between "Glow Worm" and "Glucomannan"

Then I grew fond of "GundamMeister".

But then I decided it was better called "Gnochi"

Before I settled on "Gigantopithecus".

...YES, "G" stands for "Goodman".  :D

Offline Darth Matth

• Master Force User
  • You think I'm mad? Guess what,... I'm Darth Matth!
« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2009, 02:38:28 PM »
Whuahahahaha, how did you find time for this? :) :) :)

Signature teleports you to my lightsaber collection

Offline Goodman

• Master Force User
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2009, 12:17:56 PM »
Hmm. What a fast month.

Primary customer projects are still taking my priority time, but I have had a free hour or two to refine the design for  the sleek version of the G-Core. I've moved the crystal to the rear, in homage to LDM's crystal pommel design (all kudos to him), and am using an illusion behind it for sound holes: a copper tube is slightly free floating inside the chamber cutouts to allow the sound to resonate and escape. The opposite side of that section is where the charge port is (custom covertec wheel as the washer). Micro push latching switch accessed through recessed hole in the outer saber body.

I've realized that to obtain as deep dimensional changes as I want (i.e., so the whole thing looks more than just a crappy tube like this with just shallow grooves cut into it), I'll need to create another illusion by connecting the wider sections together with short sections of .25" pipe, then crowd some detail around that to give the illusion of depth and complexity. Connecting those sections requires set screws and additional operations on the lathe, which means even more work until the next prototype is ready, not to mention the brass piping that I haven't touched...

Again, I'm not even close to finished yet on any of the various designs/styles, but since it has been a month here is at least a little more progress made.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 12:25:28 PM by Goodman »

Offline Salvatore1971

• Master Force User
  • "Yes, I know, I have a toupĂ©e on my head!"
« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2009, 01:09:49 PM »
WOW, this G-Core system is a GREAT idea!  ::)

Hmmmmm... dear John, I think my next saber will have a Crystal Core and a G-Core like that!  ;D

I'm Italian. Sorry in advance for my bad english! :D

Offline wookieecrisp

• Master Force User
  • Let the Wookiee Win!
« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2009, 02:52:57 PM »
Great idea with the crystal!

Offline Akaius

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2009, 05:18:34 PM »
I really love this G core system you've worked out. It looks awesome! And the crystal in the pommel looks sweet!

retrousse