fiduciary

Author Topic: LED wood saber? (update april 17th)  (Read 11916 times)

Offline 2saberjedi

• Force User
  • in darkness we are the lite
LED wood saber? (update april 17th)
« on: January 30, 2009, 08:37:06 PM »
anyone ever built one?

im thinkin about makin one with bamboo my only concern is heat and streangth
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 11:45:59 PM by 2saberjedi »

Offline Master Jedye

• The Master of the School for the Dremel-Fu Gifted
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as Master Jedye
    • Gemini Concepts
Re: LED wood saber?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 08:39:57 PM »
Yep...

Go here for more....  http://www.nocturnearmory.com/CustomSabers/customsabers6.html

Nocturne armory.
And our very own Darth Caden is in the process of a saber with a wooded overlay.  http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=15720.msg247489#msg247489

I've heard that they are pretty strong...it should be okay.
Don't know about bamboo though....very interesting!!!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 08:47:31 PM by Master Jedye »

First place winner in the 19 BBY \"Mustafar LavaRock Belly Crawl\"

Offline 2saberjedi

• Force User
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 09:05:04 PM »
SWEET!

thank you Master Jedye i will look into this...

im not heart seat on bamboo it was just the first thing to pop into my head so out it came like word vomit ;D

Offline illz302

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 11:02:02 PM »
SWEET!

thank you Master Jedye i will look into this...

im not heart seat on bamboo it was just the first thing to pop into my head so out it came like word vomit ;D

Just an idea here I always thought that Mahogany had a nice look for a sword handle but this could also be true for a saber. Just an option for you. Here is a picture I found of a mahogany handled dagger.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 11:07:43 PM by illz302 »

Offline Onli-Won Kanomi

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Knight Of Faith
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2009, 12:23:36 AM »
One could get some very nice lathe work done to make a wood hilt too...just avoid making it look like a chair leg like a certain former sabersmith a couple years ago.
To DREAM the IMPOSSIBLE DREAM. To FIGHT the unbeatable foe. To BEAR with unbearable sorrow. To RUN where the brave dare not go. To RIGHT the unrightable wrong. To LOVE, PURE AND CHASTE, FROM AFAR [-sigh-]. To TRY, when your arms are too weary; to REACH the unreachable Star!... This is my Quest; To follow that Star, no matter how hopeless, no matter how far...

Offline LUMINARA UNDULI

• Master of the purple blade
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly Known As Allaerra
    • Vader's Vault
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2009, 10:30:31 AM »
I too love the wooden hilts that Nocturne Armory does.  It is a great place to start for inspiration  ;D

Facebook: VVFB

Offline The Highwayman

• Formerly known as Caden
  • Master Force User
  • Political Thread Pioneer #1
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2009, 01:23:23 PM »
the shop teacher that is helping me said that it would have to be at least a 1/4 inch thick if you wanted it to be stressed at all. That is what thickness my overlay is. altogether, it will be 1 3/4 inches thick. a solid wood hilt... I don't know. But it would have to be extrmemly hardwood and even then, it may still have to be thick.

"It's obvious that the price of this game cannot be determined by our knowledge of fair market value, but by our skills with a lightsaber." - Obi-wan (Jedimoves)

Offline Master Jedye

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
    • Gemini Concepts
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2009, 07:17:17 PM »
I too love the wooden hilts that Nocturne Armory does.  It is a great place to start for inspiration  ;D
LOL...his was one of the first custom websites I've ever seen and usually go back to see if anything new pops up.
I love the "Rhoot".  I'm eyeballing this branch on an oak tree I have outside ....wonder if I can convince my wife that it "needs to come down for safty's sake"    ;D

Offline 2saberjedi

• Force User
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2009, 07:22:55 PM »
thanks for all the ideas

i im really heart set on makeing the saber look like a tree branch that was formed/made with a light saber instead of a nice hilt i kinda want it to be rough (the dager handles look nice) like untreated wood with maybe a gold or cyan color blade  idk

what color would u guys think would work best?

then i started thinking about how its going to work cuz i would have to make it 2 peice so i could get to the AA's

i would love to have sound but im just gonna focous on stunt for now

Offline morrisart85

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2009, 07:27:05 PM »
I work with bamboo frequently for framing on paintings. If i may suggest, What about using thin wide strips or even an appropriately sized sleeve to overlay an mhs or sinktube. I also think thin strips in the form of a Mara Jade type bamboo grip sections would be for lack of a better term, HOT.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 07:52:51 PM by morrisart85 »

Offline Luke S.

• under review
  • Master Force User
  • Romans 3:20-26 As simple as it gets.
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2009, 07:46:05 PM »
I do a fair amount of woodworking.  I am not quite sure the best way to hollow out the center.  I know how but not a way to make it super smooth and tight fitting. Take a long hole saw on a block then turn the hollowed out block on a lathe.(not for the branch look though)

I would be careful if it is going to be just wood that it doesn't crack on you.  You'd want to seal the wood to prevent cracking and warping over time.

IMO I think I would try to overlay the wood on a metal sleeve to give it more strength.

You would lose the branch idea but you could cut a very thin sheet of wood and steam bend it and wrap it to make the tube.  Lots of ideas to choose from.

Offline Master Dru-Er

• Experienced Force User
  • Trust your feelings
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2009, 07:48:54 PM »
I work with bamboo frequently for framing on paintings. If i may suggest, What about using thing wide strips or even an appropriately sized sleeve to overlay an mhs or sinktube. I also think thin strips in the form of a Mara Jade type bamboo grip sections would be for lack of a better term, HOT.
I like the way you think Morrisart.  This could go places.

Offline Master Jedye

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
    • Gemini Concepts
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2009, 07:52:31 PM »

IMO I think I would try to overlay the wood on a metal sleeve to give it more strength.

You would lose the branch idea but you could cut a very thin sheet of wood and steam bend it and wrap it to make the tube.  Lots of ideas to choose from.

You got it!!!!  Peel and stick venner  sheeting...thin enough to cut with scissors.
http://www.tapeease.com/PSA_veneer_sheets.htm

Check out the sample book....45 8 inch samples for $45.00.  That ani't bad!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 07:54:28 PM by Master Jedye »

Offline Luke S.

• under review
  • Master Force User
  • Romans 3:20-26 As simple as it gets.
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2009, 08:31:00 PM »
And they have bamboo too.  Not exactly what I was thinking, but for someone that might not have the tools to do it otherwise this is a great option.  I was actually thinking of having a long enough sheet that you could make several wraps so that you could get some decent thickness to it.  This might be the perfect way. 

Make several wraps around a machined hilt or an MHS part putting wood glue between each layer, then then tightly secure it while it dries.  I would use tie wraps, strong rubber bands, string tied tightly, velcro straps or tape. When it's dry sand down the seam to be flush and you have a nice wood hilt.

This is a great option.

Offline 2saberjedi

• Force User
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2009, 10:50:53 PM »
i was also thinking just strip the bark and over lay that on the saber

well i want it to look kinda old and used but i know with a twig it would not be the best to dule with... not like i have anyone to do that with

i like the bamboo idea morrisart85

luke i was thinking of just a sink tube slug wraped but idk i have to go outside and have a look at branches and so forth but this is turning out to be a really cool idea and if anyone els beats me to the finsh line i soooo wanna see what u come up with

i was thinking just use the branch as the sink tube just a led blade holder led switch(witch is the REAL hard bart) and bat pack then the opening at the but end i just cant see in my mind how that is gonna work cuz i just dont wana see any metal i want this saber to be like a spare  u hade to build becuz ur sabers hilt is bugered up

that being the case as this is a replacement/hybrid i could go metal and wood
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 11:01:11 PM by 2saberjedi »

retrousse