fiduciary

Author Topic: Goodman's Obi Wan TPM Parks LedEngin 5W Lightsaber Build Thread  (Read 17272 times)

Offline Goodman

• Master Force User
Goodman's Obi Wan TPM Parks LedEngin 5W Lightsaber Build Thread
« on: January 29, 2009, 01:37:28 PM »
Phew, that's a mouthful.

Last week I bought a Parks Obi TPM saber from Kurosawa. Apparently this one is an "artist proof" of sorts, made by Jeff Parks himself (I'm still trying to identify it's clear history). ***Edit...I've been informed by Eastern that this is a Phaseblade version of Parks' Obi TPM. This one is, as I suspected, even narrower than the wider Obi TPMs that others have converted in the past. Jeez how delicate can these sabers get?!?!**

I've always liked the Parks Obi TPM, even though to some it has certain inaccuracies. It's certainly no AceRocket/Zenkai, but I love it, and I'm all that matters on this one :). I've never seen a Parks Obi TPM with sound AND a 1" blade (only xwingband's without sound and a 3//4" blade), and when I received the saber, I discovered why: There is only a 3/4" ID in the saber, which is less than the 1" width of, say, a USv2.0. I was determined to reengineer the saber to fit a soundboard without marring the outer finish, and while also maintaining durable-worthy structural integrity. If anything, I thought I would be the first to pull off all four on a Parks 8). I'm a big proponent of dueling with my sabers, so this one will probably never see the inside of an acrylic case in its life.

Within two hours of receiving the saber, I set about converting it. About seven hours later, I was done. Basically reengineered the entire interior of the saber to fit everything --makes me respect Yoda even MORE for his amazing Negotiators (which I still want to buy, btw). I've been playing with this saber ever since and haven't had time to post pictures. No matter, since I have since decided to "re"-convert it with certain upgrades from its current version. I'll post pics of this process the second time around. Stay tuned over the next couple of weeks...

For now, a teaser of its current state:

Parks Obi Wan TPM
USv2.0
LedEngin 5W Blue
Rechargeable Li-ion In Hilt
TCSS Premium speaker
1" UltraBlade

Planned upgrades:
Steel core for added strength
Integrated copper heatsink
USv2.1
QD LED system for either a LedEngin 5W or a CCW Tri-Rebel with momentary clash (buck/AAA li-ion for W)
3W titanium cone speaker in new custom machined pommel
1" UltraEdge

And a picture of it next to a few others on my workbench, which shows its scale size against typical MHS sabers:

Any questions, feedback, requests... just shoot.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 05:11:34 PM by Goodman »
**I AM RETIRED from saber commission building**

Offline Vektor

• Master Force User
  • That other Finnish guy
    • My Elegant Weapons
Re: Goodman's Obi Wan TPM Parks LedEngin 5W Lightsaber Build Thread
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 10:29:12 PM »
Looking very nice and promising! I was wondering which battery cells you were going to use, or more precisely, manage to fit in the hilt for the 5W? I hear those LedEngins are quite current-hungry and AAA Li-Ions aren't very good cells?

Offline LUMINARA UNDULI

• Master of the purple blade
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly Known As Allaerra
    • Vader's Vault
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 10:36:58 PM »
Just WOW!  Goodman that is so cool!  I love the Obi TPM, and that is a bang up job!  Post build pics?  Pretty please  :) .

Facebook: VVFB

Offline Goodman

• Master Force User
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 11:33:44 PM »
Vektor,

I'm currently using two RCR123A 3.0V rechargeables, which power the saber just fine. Run time is about 45mins. I also used two RCR123A 3.7V rechargeables for 7.2V when I initially installed a Lux V Cyan.  The LedEngin 5W isn't really a current hog...I run it at 1000ma and it's happy.

The only reason I would use the Li-ion AAA is if I was using the Tri-Rebel. I'd use the 7.2V pack described above for the first two LEDs in series, then tie the 3.7V Li-ion AAA to the third LED for the clash. Because it's only for the clash, the AAA will be fine. The AAA doesn't need to be Li-ion, either. It could be NiMH, or even E2...the only reason why I would use the Li-ion is so that I could still hook up the entire saber up to the same recharge port.

Allaerra,

Thanks, I'll definitely post build pics of the second series of modifications, starting this weekend.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 11:55:15 PM by Goodman »

Offline Vektor

• Master Force User
  • That other Finnish guy
    • My Elegant Weapons
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2009, 11:48:00 PM »
The LedEngin 5W isn't really a current hog...I run it at 1000ma and it's happy.

All right, that was news to me. Thanks for the info! :) Now I'm more than anxious seeing how your project is progressing, keep us posted!

Offline xwingband

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009, 06:14:44 AM »
If anything, I thought I would be the first to pull off all four on a Parks 8).

Try again!

I have three lined up for CFs as soon as my parts are machined.  Yoda's done a few too. :P

Offline JANGO FETT

• Owner of Kilsythe Customs
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2009, 06:34:21 AM »
Yeah, Xwing is correct. The one in the video was mine. I sold it to fund a CF Obi-wan by Master Yoda
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0L3eA0iFBWI&feature=channel_page

I am also converting a Larbel to sound with a US 2.0. It's about 1/2 done.
I have 2-5 Parks to convert after that.

It's good to know the 5W Ledengin looks good. I ordered a 5W red & Deep Red and was VERY disappointed.

I prefer to use Seoul P4's. That's what is in the saber master Yoda made for me. I encourage you to give them a try. 
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 08:58:54 AM by JANGO FETT »

Have you heard the tragedy of Mark Hamill the Wise?

My thoughts and prayers to the padawans of Coruscant - Master Jeselnik

Offline xwingband

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2009, 08:34:14 AM »
Ironically that saber is coming back to me as one of the three I mentioned. Should be awesome as I really have the switches planned perfectly.

Offline JANGO FETT

• Owner of Kilsythe Customs
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2009, 08:38:02 AM »
threadjacking!

Are you putting a CF in it?

Have you heard the tragedy of Mark Hamill the Wise?

My thoughts and prayers to the padawans of Coruscant - Master Jeselnik

Offline XsaberX

• Master Force User
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2009, 09:41:05 AM »
I've used both the P4 blue and the LedEngin blue and have always found that the LedEngin performs equal to or better than the P4. A lower bin LedEngin is equal to the best P4 I've found until about 1300ma, when you push it to 1500ma the LedEngin keeps going while the P4 doesn't. If you do get a higher bin LedEngin, then there really is a noticeable difference even at 1000ma and definitely as you add more current.

I agree about the Red LedEngin 5 watts being nothing special

Offline Master Jedye

• The Master of the School for the Dremel-Fu Gifted
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as Master Jedye
    • Gemini Concepts
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2009, 10:00:36 AM »
Wheather it's the first or not...it's a great peice.  Nicely done, Goodman! 
The clawed-emitter one in your collection is FIERCE...BTW.  Did you do that?  It's got a very "Do-Clo" style to it...great stuff!

First place winner in the 19 BBY \"Mustafar LavaRock Belly Crawl\"

Offline Goodman

• Master Force User
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2009, 10:03:34 AM »
I'm aware of the many versions of Parks Obi TPM that have been converted by you (xwingband), and certainly Yoda. There's even a guy on YouTube who put an MR board in an Obi TPM. Sorry I didn't clarify sooner: As I edited at the top of my post yesterday, what I meant was that this saber would be the first Parks Obi TPM *Phaseblade* saber to be converted to all four --light, ultrasound, 1" blade, reinforced/duelable. If I'm not mistaken, the previous Parks Obi TPM conversions used slightly larger bodies, not the phaseblade body. I'm NOT saying that it's BETTER by any means, 'just saying that it's DIFFERENT... it would be the first of its kind, i.e. in the Phaseblade body. In the video posted above you can see that the silver core sits right beneath the thin black grip shroud. In this Phaseblade body, the black grip is much thicker, meaning a narrower silver core, meaning less space inside (3/4").

Though if I AM mistaken, and someone HAS already converted a Parks Obi TPM Phaseblade, PLEASE chime in and let me know how you did it, because I'm curious if I'm on the right track. The dimensions of the soundboard being larger than the 3/4" interior tube, for starters, was quite a headache! Let alone reinforcing the neck so that the saber can still withstand a good whack :)

Thanks for any more insight.

Also Jango, the LedEngin red WAS disappointing, I agree. The blue, however, is great. I've seen the same results that XsaberX listed in my comparisons with a P4 across the three bins that I've received so far. Honestly, the LedEngin blue overdriven is the brightest blue I've seen, noticeably a "more true" saber blue, and more satisfying than a LuxV blue.  The 3.6V is icing.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 10:08:47 AM by Goodman »

Offline XsaberX

• Master Force User
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2009, 11:15:16 AM »
What's even nicer about the LedEngin is that 1500ma is not overdriving it. 1000-1500 is spec.

I've actually overdriven them and run them at 1700ma which makes them noticeably brighter than at 1500ma. Great headroom  ;D

Offline Sethski

• Master Force User
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2009, 11:25:06 AM »
Goodman, that's great - I personally think that the "deep" grip on the black section adds to the aesthetic appeal, and it's quite an achievement considering the space constraints. I noticed that the way it's built (from the dissembled pic) looks similar to the Parks stunt Obi TPM, and with word being that the Phase blades are the slimmest Parks yet, I wonder if he adapted it from the stunt design in this instance.

I'm also interested to see a build log for your planned improvements - which will hopefully throw some light on how you managed to squeeze the goods in there the first place  :D

I have a couple of questions for you:

Where is the switch on this?

The 3W speaker you're planning to upgrade to - what size is it and where do you get it from?

Good luck with the rebuild/upgrade this weekend, look forward to reading and seeing stuff  ;)

Offline xwingband

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2009, 11:53:31 AM »
Yeah, I understand what he was saying.  You sure that it's actually smaller?  It appears from pictures that it could be the same but the core is now 7/8, 3/4 or whatever it is vs. the old EL ones which were 1 1/8".

Jango: Yup, CF'age.  I don't do fancy innards like Yoda, but I have designed holders that will function perfectly with a CF.

retrousse