fiduciary

Author Topic: Mace Windu AOTC Force FX (2005) Review and Pics  (Read 23508 times)

Offline Bandit-Jedi

• Formerly known as Bandit-Jedi
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • I have a way with...the Force.
    • My other love...2002 Trans Am Collector Edition
Mace Windu AOTC Force FX (2005) Review and Pics
« on: November 06, 2005, 10:36:37 AM »
MY STORY
"An elegant weapon, for a more civilized time"....this one definitely fits that bill.  While the Mace Force FX originally made its debut back in 2004 I really did not have any interest in adding it to my collection at the time.  It was only later as I learned more about it from other owners here on FX-sabers.com that I grew to appreciate it.  It being the ONLY purple bladed lightsaber and the fact that we would most likely not see another release of it drew me to the conclusion that I should add it to my ever-expanding collection of these beautiful weapons.   After I got my Vader TESB through the group purchase that 5 of us on the site participated in, I thought I might do the same thing to get a Mace.  Orignially I didn't care what condition it came in, only that I had one physically in my collection.  A couple days after that thought crossed my mind Meridian posted up that he was selling a Mace for $105 and in New condition.  Now that was a deal that I couldn't pass up on.  So I contacted him and we got the ball rolling on getting the saber to me.  It didn't take long before I came home to see a rather long box sitting in my bedroom.

THE SABER OUT OF THE BOX
Once I opened the container and slid the FFX from its clear plastic sleeve, I knew I had made a good choice.  This saber just radiates elegance.  The design and the chrome and gold-plated accents were extravagant but not garish.  The rubberized grips were like nothing i had ever seen due to the strange grip-pattern cut into them.

The Battery Holder remains the same 6-batter holder as the ANH Vader and TESB Luke were.  Due to the use of the 6batt holder it does increase the already hefty weight of the saber. 

Unlike all the other FFX sabers(with the exception of the AOTC Anakin) the Copyright stamping was put on the saber itself and not just the battery endcap.  Even though this is the same saber as the 2004 Windu they had to change the Year stamping for legal manufacturing purposes.

The On/Off switch is the gold-plated rectangular piece in the center of the photo. While it is very well disquised, it can cause some problems when spinning the saber in your hand.  Even though it is not as obtrusive as lets say the Anakin ROTS or Luke TESB it can easy be turned on or off by misplacement of your hand.

As with most of the prequel sabers you get a nifty little covertech belt attachment already placed on the saber.  The one on the Mace seemed to stick out quite far and that is indeed due to the design and width of the grips on the saber.  While it would look funny to have a fullsize FFX hanging from your belt, blade and all.  You can certainly do it if your legs are long enough to all the blade to swing freely, haha.

The emitter is well done and looks quite functional.  The holes that are notched into the gold piece every 4th one have been completely drilled through.  These look to have hex screws inside the to hold the blade in place.  I'm not familiar with the Mace dissasembly process but figure these to be removable. (hmm, whats that in the reflection?)

THE SABER IGNITED
In Normal Daytime Room Light

In Low Room Light

In Complete Darkness

WORKING REVIEW
Holding the saber you realize that either Mace had some Huge hands or to make a FFX version of the Mace they had to increase the size proportionally to fit all electronics.  This thing is huge and heavy.  Its not all that easy to spin without possibly turning it off and the strange grips that go around it just feel a bit weird in your hand.  If you have small hands this is probably not a good one to get, unless you just want a suberb shelf decoration.  Like I mentioned the on/off switch is in a relatively bad place and can cause you to turn the saber off when handling it ignited.  The ignition/deactivation sounds are exactly the same ones used for the 2003 release of the Luke ROTJ EL saber.  The idle hum seems to be the same, as well.  You can notice the same exact stutter that the ROTJ Luke has.  The motion sensor seems to be a bit touchy.  I've had the saber sitting on the shelf ignited and with the slightest vibration it is set off.   I was just walking past and it activated so that tells you how sensitive it can be.  THe sound is not as loud as most but it is decent.  The motion sounds used are the usual 4 sounds (2 buzzes and 2 arc movements)  Clash sounds are the usual 4 that are used in the Jedi sabers, it seems.

THE BOX
For those that want a detailed look at the Box that the Windu FFX came in.  This is the infamous "Red Blade" box for the Re-release of the Mace Windu saber.
Left-hand side Front and Top

Center Front and Top

Right-hand side Front and Top

Left-hand side Back

Right-hand side Back

FINAL THOUGHTS
I am glad that I was finally able to add the Mace FFX to my collection.  While it has its drawbacks for playability, it definitely makes up for it in beauty and rarity.  The purple blade is unlike any other.  The way that it glows is almost ethereal.  Very unique and pretty bright too!   The hilt makes you want to keep the polishing cloth handy so you can just shine it up every chance you get.  I don't think any other FFX saber out there looks as good on display as this one does with its beautifully done accents and Bright glowing Re....ummm I mean Purple Blade!

If Boba had only gotten his chance for REVENGE!

Review of the 2005 Luke ROTJ coming with direct comparison to the 2003 EL version...

May The Force FX Be With You!

Offline Darth Matth

• Master Force User
  • You think I'm mad? Guess what,... I'm Darth Matth!
Re: Mace Windu AOTC Force FX (2005) Review and Pics
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2005, 12:17:47 PM »
Greetings from Holland.

This is a very complete review, with pictures and all.
I liked it very much.

Your friend Darth Matth

Signature teleports you to my lightsaber collection

Offline supernova

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2005, 07:47:35 PM »
Is the color on the AOTC and the ROTS Mace sabers the same?  The color on yours looks much more purple than the color on the one I bought from Gamestop yesterday (which I owned for a day before I had to take it back because it was messed up).  The one I got looked a little bluish to me...  I read somewhere else that the ROTS ones were a little more blue--is there any truth to this?  Seems like all the good pics on here came from the AOTC saber...

Offline Bandit-Jedi

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2005, 08:46:05 PM »
I'm not quite sure as to the difference in color since I do not have a ROTS version to directly compare it to.  The last thing that I heard about the newer ROTS Mace was that the only thing changed was a better Sound Module.  And that word came from MR representatives.

The Purple color that the Mace is indeed quite difficult to photograph as it actually looks.  When I look at it in person I see a very lightly purple blade with small hints of pink around the edge areas.  A weird kind of luminesence you might say.  The only true purple is the actual glow of the blade and not the blade itself.  Its kinda weird that way.

Offline Darthirishman

• Master Force User
  • They used to call me Sifo-Dyas
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2005, 01:45:32 PM »
No wonder I want to trade my ROTJ Luke for a Mace
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.  Then go find the person who has vodka and have a party

Offline psykE

• Formerly known as psykE
  • Master Force User
  • Join the DARK side
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2005, 04:05:09 PM »
Very Exellent reveiw, funny thing I was in Mall and there was a Gamestop there so I decided to go and see if they had any fx's instock.
They did infact About 1 Anakins and 2 Vaders and 1 Mace Since I have never held a mace I wanter to open it right then and there haha, but I didn't.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2005, 06:00:58 PM by Darth Vader »
Fx Saber Collection:

Offline Bandit-Jedi

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2005, 04:10:56 PM »
Did they guys working there say anything?  ...and did you have 6 AA batteries handy? haha

A Gamestop just opened up here in Hammond and I was contemplating getting a part-time job there.  Hmmm...

Offline Gnosis

• Formerly known as Gnosis
  • Master Force User
  • The Bird King of La Mancha
    • This week in geek
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2005, 05:29:24 PM »
Excellent review

I hope to be a Mace owner sometime this year

"It is obvious that this contest cannot be decided by our knowledge of the Force... but by our skills with a lightsaber. "
Count Dooku

Sith Lord Adminstrator
countdooku@fx-sabers.com

Offline psykE

• Formerly known as psykE
  • Master Force User
  • Join the DARK side
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2005, 06:01:40 PM »
Did they guys working there say anything?  ...and did you have 6 AA batteries handy? haha

A Gamestop just opened up here in Hammond and I was contemplating getting a part-time job there.  Hmmm...
I didn't state it clearly, I wanted too but I couldn't.
Fx Saber Collection:

Offline Mr.Griffin

• Master Force User
  • mmmmm... Star Wars
    • Family Guy Stuff
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2005, 06:06:41 PM »
Pretty good!
{[][][][]--{}================

(((FORMALLY MR.GRIFFIN)))

Offline Mace101

• Padawan Learner
  • I am your master, Mace Windu.
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2005, 06:14:07 PM »
 Amazing...

I love this saber, just ordered one 2 days ago.

Should get it tomorrow or Friday.

I'm going to do the longest review possible on this saber with tons of pics.
"In the name of the Galactic Republic of the Senate, You are under arrest."- Mace Windu, Episode 3.

Offline PLO KOON

• formerly known as s3an_looi
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
    • Find me on Facebook
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2005, 08:52:47 PM »
I love the pictures Anakin Skywalker...

Offline Hamill82

• under review
  • Master Force User
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2005, 03:54:18 AM »
Good review Anakin! This helped me, now I'm sure that my next force fx will be Mace Windu's. It's also a rare item in Europe compared to many other force fx's, so more reason to get it. What comes to to size of Mace's lightsaber, it just gotta be big and heavy,

<Edited by Count Dooku>
For inappropiate content
« Last Edit: November 10, 2005, 07:51:05 AM by Count Dooku »

Offline trexy

• General of the Old Republic
  • Master Force User
  • At last we will have revenge!
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2005, 04:46:01 AM »
Great review man! and nice pics.!!!!! :o
Could u get some comparison shots between the mace and anakin
?

Offline Bandit-Jedi

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2005, 08:17:01 AM »
Great review man! and nice pics.!!!!! :o
Could u get some comparison shots between the mace and anakin
?

The Mace and Anakin AOTC versions, you mean?

If that is so, then yeah I can do a couple comparison shots.

retrousse