fiduciary

Author Topic: Wireless (Bluetooth) control for sound boards - HOW-TO!  (Read 28525 times)

Offline Ridire Fíréan

• Force User
  • Up&down&around the bend a Jedi's story never ends
Re: Wireless (Bluetooth) control for sound boards - HOW-TO!
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2017, 12:13:34 PM »
Hey @ShtokyD  !  Have you ever tried to wire both a 3.5mm jack and a HM-13 Bluetooth Module into the same lightsaber?

The thought is that if both were installed that you'd be able to either plug in the 3.5mm male or communicate to the soundboard via bluetooth from your phone/computer depending on which was available at a given time.

I have room for both in my chassis but I'm wondering if you've ever tried both, and if so are there any reasons not to do both?  Perhaps feedback, interference, etc.?

Again, room inside the hilt is not a concern.  Rendundancy is not a concern.  I'm only wondering if there would be any adverse effects from wiring in both a 3.5mm jack the conventional way and a HM-13 Bluetooth Module powered by a CEX into a Crystal Focus v8.0?

Offline ShtokyD

• Mining Colony Members
  • Force User
  • whatever
    • My facebook page
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2017, 11:02:38 AM »
Hey @ShtokyD  !  Have you ever tried to wire both a 3.5mm jack and a HM-13 Bluetooth Module into the same lightsaber?

The thought is that if both were installed that you'd be able to either plug in the 3.5mm male or communicate to the soundboard via bluetooth from your phone/computer depending on which was available at a given time.

I have room for both in my chassis but I'm wondering if you've ever tried both, and if so are there any reasons not to do both?  Perhaps feedback, interference, etc.?

Again, room inside the hilt is not a concern.  Rendundancy is not a concern.  I'm only wondering if there would be any adverse effects from wiring in both a 3.5mm jack the conventional way and a HM-13 Bluetooth Module powered by a CEX into a Crystal Focus v8.0?
Hi, yes, I wire both in sabers where I have room like in my KAM sabers. No problems with that. You just have to use only one way to configure RICE, not try to connect both bluetooth and 3.5mm RICE cable simultaniously, but shoudn't be a problem with it either... I use a small slide switch to turn ON and OFF HM-13 bluetooth module when I want to use bluetooth RICE.

Offline Ridire Fíréan

• Force User
  • Up&down&around the bend a Jedi's story never ends
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2017, 11:56:33 AM »
Thank you @ShtokyD  !  I have a slide switch in my wiring diagram for mine so that it won't be broadcasting all the time! ;)  Glad to know I'm on the right track!

Thanks again, and Merry Christmas!

Offline ShtokyD

• Mining Colony Members
  • Force User
  • whatever
    • My facebook page
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2018, 12:37:50 PM »
HM-13 module wiring tutorial updated!

Offline Mielikki

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2018, 01:12:57 PM »
HI! I was wondering if you've made any progress on the iPhone app you mentioned? I'd be very happy to buy it!!!

Offline cvsickle

• Force User
  • Avid Saber Enthusiast and Build Attempter
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2018, 09:55:02 AM »
Just an FYI for everyone... I managed to tear the 3.3v pad (VCC) off of my HM-13. Totally frustrated. Then I noticed that the adjacent pad (right next to it) was listed in the HM-13 manual as NC or VCC. Turns out, I was able to wire my 3.3v directly to the pad next to the one I tore off and everything still works.

Of course, I only noticed this after I panic-ordered another 3 HM-13 boards from FastTech.

Thanks for the tutorial, BTW. Really helped me out.

Here are some links that may help others just finding this tutorial:

I didn't want to butcher my TCSS serial cable, so I got one of these from Amazon for $8: Amazon.com: DSD TECH TTL to USB Converter with CP2102 Chip Works for Windows

I got my HM-13 from FastTech: .90 HM-13 Dual Mode Bluetooth 4.0 BLE SPP LE Serial Port Module - compatible

Offline cvsickle

• Force User
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2018, 12:18:01 PM »
I finally got my HM-13 working with my CF9 and I'm having a small issue. When I click in the windows RICE app to save the config, it shuts the board down and saves all the settings, but it never reboots the board. It keeps looping through what look like a series of initialization commands but it never actually does. If I cycle power to the board manually, it boots just fine and all the settings I changed are working properly.

Ever have any issues like this or know what I'm doing wrong?

Offline erv

• Plecter Labs Inc. "Keeper of the Buttered Toast"
  • Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as Irvin PLECTER
    • Plecter Labs - Props Electronics
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2018, 03:14:25 AM »
Early cf firmware has rare reboot issues after saving or isaber quit (happens only with certain SD cards which explains why we didn't catch that during development of the firmware). You can have yours updated and flashed for free, I will cover the postage of course

Offline cvsickle

• Force User
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2018, 03:43:23 AM »
Early cf firmware has rare reboot issues after saving or isaber quit (happens only with certain SD cards which explains why we didn't catch that during development of the firmware). You can have yours updated and flashed for free, I will cover the postage of course

Thanks for the reply, Erv!

Problem is that I only noticed the problem after installing it into a saber, so I'd really prefer to not tear it apart if possible.

Can you let me know what brand of SD card you know didn't have this issue? I'd like to try getting a better one of those first.

Thanks!

Offline erv

• Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2018, 09:05:49 AM »
Try with grey red sandisk

Offline cvsickle

• Force User
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2018, 02:34:07 PM »
Try with grey red sandisk

Works like a charm now, my friend. Just grabbed a 16GB Sandisk Ultra (Gray and Red). Thanks for the help!

Offline erv

• Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2018, 12:48:34 AM »
Very cool and thank you for sharing your results. Glad to help I am very happy you got it to work

Offline ShtokyD

• Mining Colony Members
  • Force User
  • whatever
    • My facebook page
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2018, 06:27:18 AM »
A new JDY-16 module tutorial added! This is my favorite BT module so far, make sure to check it out!

Offline erv

• Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2018, 06:30:48 AM »
thanks, I'll give it a try. I'm also inquiring for a BTLE objects for my dev env for RICE. However, I've used most of my dev time in Wifi rather than BTLE.

[addon] : obviously, it's totally possible to have a USB receiver made out of this to turn it into a univeral receiver that should work with stock RICE program (HW dependencies being pushed out of the OS). That's how my Omnisabers worked back in 2006 except that it was a MIDI device and not USB !
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 06:44:54 AM by erv »

Offline ShtokyD

• Mining Colony Members
  • Force User
  • whatever
    • My facebook page
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2018, 06:44:43 AM »
thanks, I'll give it a try. I'm also inquiring for a BTLE objects for my dev env for RICE. However, I've used most of my dev time in Wifi rather than BTLE.
Yeah, try it! It works much better and faster than HM-13 or HM-17 modules. Better make a new program with BLE support and other cool features (I emailed you about it) :)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 06:46:58 AM by ShtokyD »

retrousse