fiduciary

Author Topic: My Hand made Saber Stand Bases  (Read 2184 times)

Offline Obi-Shane

• Master Force User
My Hand made Saber Stand Bases
« on: July 26, 2011, 06:04:06 PM »
    Some weeks back I finally finished my Graflex build, talk about exciting! So the next logical step was to find a base, stand, and case that suited my tastes. So I started looking around and didn't quite find what I was looking for. I'm amazed no one had gone for this look before. So I decided to make my own. With a good idea of what I wanted, I went about getting some materials at the local hardware store and various other places. The following pics are of the 'prototypes' I tried a couple of different combinations to get the look I was going for, different set screws, acrylic thickness, I even went so far as to use some Casey Bluing on one of the plates, with less then satisfactory results I might add. Need to get my hands on some other bluing in the future I think for my next attempt. I would like to get some feedback from you guys and what you think about the look and color cominations on the set screws (brass seems to be the winner so far, from the few people who have commented on them). These are my first couple attempts, and I've learned a good deal and would like to try some other ideas in the future. You might see a few imperfections , such as wood grain showing through the paint, base plate being 1mm off the size of the acrylic ( I have since fixed that, they line up really nice now).

I would like to know what you guys think, they take some time to make, but I kinda like how they turned out. I slapped my Graflex on top to better show the reflective properties of the bases.

Cheers friends!

Thanks for looking. Feel free to  check out my photobucket album for more pics if you wish...

http://s1127.photobucket.com/albums/l636/Obi-Shane/

Cheers and MTFBWY

Shane
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 08:20:02 PM by Obi-Shane »

Offline IndustrialAction

• Master Force User
  • IAC - Elegant designs with a more civilized edge
    • IndustrialAction Customs
Re: My Hand made Saber Stand Bases
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 06:48:31 PM »
Awesome stand Shane! Good work my friend!!

Offline joshsummey

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 06:52:28 PM »
Very nice indeed.

Offline Obi-Shane

• Master Force User
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 07:04:03 PM »
Awesome stand Shane! Good work my friend!!

Thanks man! Glad you like em. Sold one to EgonMcGregor for a decent price. If I move these, then I think I'll make some more. Building stuff is fun

Cheers m8's

Shane

Offline GreyJedi

• Master Force User
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 07:17:36 PM »
I would definitely be interested as well, price dependant.

Offline Obi-Shane

• Master Force User
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 08:24:53 PM »
I would definitely be interested as well, price dependant.

By all means throw me a PM then, I'm looking at mainly getting my cost in materials back. As these are a bit imperfect I did not wasn't too sure if I wanted to sell them, I'm really picky about my work, and aim to please.

Cheers

Shane

Offline SgtBatten

• Master Force User
  • Aussie Aussie Aussie
    • Hardcore Online Gaming
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2011, 01:24:13 AM »
as i said, im still interested in a 15.5 in one to display an open graflex on if you manage to make any of these
Sarge

Please Note that I will generally be AFK from now on.
I'll remain in contact with people i have current dealings with to the best of my ability.

Sign me up for the Maul Please

Offline Obi-Shane

• Master Force User
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2011, 03:00:35 AM »
as i said, im still interested in a 15.5 in one to display an open graflex on if you manage to make any of these

Funny you should mention that, as that's what I will make in the next batch. Those should turn out flawless. Would you prefer brass set screws on that one?

I will put the ones I have up for sale here within the next few days or so for a very reasonable price.

Cheers!

Shane

Offline Rafalema

• Master Force User
  • Dancin' with da polar bears
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2011, 03:24:15 AM »
For people wanting these for Graflexes, remember that if you have the ANH version, keeping the saber long times on a flat surface might move the grips. This has happened to my Graflex, left it on the shelf for a week and the grips it stood on had moved a quarter of an inch from the other end.

But for the looks, I really like these, but IMO stand really needs some sort of 'stand' part to float the saber a bit higher from the base plate.  ;)
Through Passion, I gain Strength
The Assassin - MHS Custom, CFv5.6

Offline SgtBatten

• Master Force User
  • Aussie Aussie Aussie
    • Hardcore Online Gaming
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2011, 03:31:35 AM »
you are right rafa.
Shane has been after some sort of stand for a while for his bases, so far hes not found exactly what hes after.

I have an appropriate stand for my graflex so i can use it. But you make a good point for others to consider.

Would you prefer brass set screws on that one?

Yeh mate i liked the brass ones.
Sarge

Please Note that I will generally be AFK from now on.
I'll remain in contact with people i have current dealings with to the best of my ability.

Sign me up for the Maul Please

Offline Obi-Shane

• Master Force User
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2011, 04:58:00 AM »
For people wanting these for Graflexes, remember that if you have the ANH version, keeping the saber long times on a flat surface might move the grips. This has happened to my Graflex, left it on the shelf for a week and the grips it stood on had moved a quarter of an inch from the other end.

But for the looks, I really like these, but IMO stand really needs some sort of 'stand' part to float the saber a bit higher from the base plate.  ;)

They are of course Bases, and not Stands. The idea is to use with stands, of course. And the stands I had in mind are not something I have finished just yet. I placed my graflex on top of them solely for the purpose of showing off how much reflection you get the way they are now. Placing your saber on top of them carelessly will not only re-arrange your grips for you over time, but most likely scratch the base up more then you would like. Also, as a side not, the idea is also to eventually make an acrylic case to cover the whole base, hence why the acrylic top and wooden base have a  1/4 inch size difference.

Cheers and thanks for the input guys

Shane

Offline LUKE SKYWALKER

• Formerly Egon Mcgregor
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Keeper of the Graflex
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2011, 06:08:24 AM »
the acrylic stand Jango showed in the first pic of his YODA DIY chassis building-thread would fit perfect on your base,
i think yoda made them. maybe he has some of them left

found the link: http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=31630.0

Offline Obi-Shane

• Master Force User
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2011, 07:15:30 AM »
the acrylic stand Jango showed in the first pic of his YODA DIY chassis building-thread would fit perfect on your base,
i think yoda made them. maybe he has some of them left

found the link: http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=31630.0

Yep, those look great, the idea is not to take away from the clean elegant look. I asked Yoda a couple of times but haven't heard back yet, actually though, I started thinking that at this rate I'll just build everything myself just to say i did it. All that's left is the stand and the case to cover it all (which will be last , since I need to figure out the height of everything once its on display after I create the stand). I look forward to seeing what you think of the one I send Egon. I will also cut you a deal on future one Egon, for when you want to display the Graflex in reveal mode. ;)

Cheers bud!

Shane

Offline ANAKIN SKYWALKER

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly Known as Alex Gordon
    • Evolution Arms
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2011, 07:17:37 AM »
try halon custom stands.   even if they don't have what you need for a perfect fit, send them one of your bases and they can make it.  They can even make plaques to go with it.

Offline Obi-Shane

• Master Force User
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2011, 05:30:29 PM »
I put up the 2 thinner acrylic bases for sale in the misc section if anyone wants one.

retrousse