fiduciary

Author Topic: 2006 Obi-Wan Kenobi ROTS Force FX Lightsaber Review  (Read 3863 times)

Offline Shade Valryn

• Experienced Force User
  • Sith or Jedi? I'm truly not sure...
2006 Obi-Wan Kenobi ROTS Force FX Lightsaber Review
« on: January 02, 2007, 11:05:58 AM »
My Story

Not much to tell here, I simply got this fx from my grandmother when we went to spend x-mas at her house on christmas eve like every year. She had happened to know that I like force fxs from my mother and it so happens she bought me one, can you guess which one? It's in the title of the review idiot, Obi-Wan Kenobi's lightsaber.

The Blade-----9/10
The blade is by far the brightest I've ever seen, I mean that too, I have a Luke ROTJ and I still think the Obi-Wan is the brighter saber. The only thing I think is a downside is the dark spot shows up really well in mine even with fresh Duracell coppertops, the soldered joints still touch the walls of the blade making 2 small black marks. Another positive though has to be the durability of this blade, unbelievable. I've dropped it numerous times when trying to figure out new spins and attacks, I've knocked it on the ceiling a lot, everything and not a single dead LED. This is where the saber shines

The Hilt-----8.5/10
This saber hilt is very close the the LE without being uncomfortable as well. It holds better than my Luke and is easier to spin, on top of that it's beautiful. The only downsides I have is that the switchbox on mine is tilted, which is good because it actually tilts in a direction that makes it harder to accidentally turn off but cosmetically makes it look bad. Also, there is a slight rattling from the inside of mine, nothing to be alarmed about just something loose. It's just a little annoying to hear when the saber is off, when it's on you can't hear it at all The gold looks amazing to the eye with solid construction, even the "orange" part has had an update since the Luke, it has a little more sparkle in it, not much but it's a welcome improvement.

The Sound-----10/10
Absolutely perfect. The loudest and the clearest saber I've ever heard. I've heard the Luke, the Ani, the Vader, the Maul, and the Mace and this tops them all. It has the typical Jedi sounds but in the best sounding board yet. A+ MR  ;)

Overall-----9.0/10
The best saber I've had so far. The only downside is the dark spot in the blade(when will MR use something besides solder to connect them?), and the craftsmanship on my hilt. Everything else is amazing. The durability and sound are the top features. Again, the best saber I've ever held even besides the unique defects on mine. Congrats MR! Amazing job!

(Pictures will be soon to follow along with some video footage)

EDIT: On tuesday I'm going to have a double bladed darth maul, I will be fighting with it and the Obi choreagraphed style. But also with each side of the maul in a non-choreagraphed fight with my friends, they aren't very good though lol.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2007, 12:40:01 PM by Shade Valryn »
Darth Maul Ultra FX

Also have 2 purple Minilords, one Green K2, one Royal Blue K

Offline BEN KENOBI

• Crazy Old Wizard
  • FX-SABERS VIP II
  • Master Force User
  • The saber scientist
Re: 2006 Obi-Wan Kenobi ROTS Force FX Lightsaber Review
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2007, 05:57:48 PM »
Great review master valryn ! I  like that saber as well.DaJoQuim

Offline Mojo_LA

• Force User
  • "Stormtroopers are weenies"
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2007, 12:27:15 AM »
I guess quality control is a little off at MR, because my Obi Wan is very evenly lit with no dark spots... while my ROTJ is absolutely a mess.  I guess it comes down to how much care is put into gluing together each individual saber.

And what kind of mood the cheap labor is in when they assemble it!

Blade uniformity seems to vary a great deal from saber to saber, even in the same model.

Offline Shade Valryn

• Experienced Force User
  • Sith or Jedi? I'm truly not sure...
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2007, 12:38:53 PM »
Yeah, mine was so so. The dark spot does show up and it always fools me into thinking I have a dead LED, then I take a look, then I'm back to spinning my saber around. Happens a lot to me lol  ;)
Darth Maul Ultra FX

Also have 2 purple Minilords, one Green K2, one Royal Blue K

Offline Knuckle01

• formerly known as Jedi Master Knuckle
  • Master Force User
  • I am a Jedi, like my father before me...
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2007, 03:31:57 PM »
congratz on your new lightsaber SV
The Force will be with you....always.

Offline Ulic Qel-Droma

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2007, 08:41:43 AM »
Nice review Shade.

retrousse