fiduciary

Author Topic: Purple MHS saber - FINISHED, Video posted 8/17  (Read 6346 times)

Offline ice

• Force User
Purple MHS saber - FINISHED, Video posted 8/17
« on: July 11, 2012, 10:40:24 AM »
So alot of people seemed to like my last MHS build, which I posted after it was finished, but I figured I'd make a build log for this saber, so I can share how I do things and show off my designs and such.  Anyway, I've been thinking about making a smaller saber, as the last one was 10.5 inches and feels great to wield, but a more compact saber just seems to be calling me to build it.  I like the idea of it being usable two handedly, so the overall build is just shy of 9 inches, just enough to fit on both hands comfortably, but also completely passable as a one handed saber.  I've been playing with the MHS builder for a few days, and this is what I came up with.

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj129/icetyrant22/shotosaber.png

I'm not handy with a photo editor or anything, so I can't show how these parts will look on the saber, but the front 3" extension piece will be diamond knurled under the black powder coating, having the corran horn saber-esq look to it, and have a box 17 mounted in the center (the one with an AV switch and small momentary switch as well).  The rear fluted piece will actually have the groves milled out, for 6 internal style grips.  Box #10 will be centered between two of the groves, holding the recharge port and Rice switch.  The double male adapter and pommel will both be media blasted.

The main blade color will be purple, with a blue FOC, complemented by the blue dot AV switch.  The main LED will be a LEDengin RBGW.  I'm really hoping I can find a CF5 to run this saber, and if I can get my hands on one for under $150 then I will, but I have a PC as a backup.  So, thoughts?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 10:22:27 AM by ice »
\\\\\\\"The most formidable weapon is the one you build yourself\\\\\\\"

Offline ANAKIN SKYWALKER

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly Known as Alex Gordon
    • Evolution Arms
Re: New MHS saber build log
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 10:46:50 AM »
You can't acheive a purple blade with a blue FoC with anything but a cfv6 with color xtender (would be possible but not as accurate without a color xtender) or an igniter.  Even if you used a BBR tri-rebel, you wouldn't be able to have the main blade shut off on clash so the blue die would be the only thing showing. 

Offline ice

• Force User
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 11:07:34 AM »
Ok, haven't used FOC yet, maybe I'll just make it white FOC.

Offline ice

• Force User
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 03:00:55 PM »
So I got most of the parts in today!  Here's how she looks assembled (no internals).

I tried to use alot of features I don't see used very often, hence the knurling and inline grips (both of which look and feel GREAT).  The media blasting is in there just to give the saber a third color, and some more depth.  I also wanted this to be a short saber, it only measures 8.7 inches, just long enough for it to be comfortable two handed, but also passable as a one handed saber.

Still seems rather dwarfed by my first MHS, which is 10.5 inches.

This will be powered by a CF5.06, which I received new in packaging as compliments of Scorpion on saturday.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 03:03:16 PM by ice »

Offline Link

• Formerly known as airframe31
  • Master Force User
  • Soundfont Artist & SIG Maker :)
Re: New MHS saber build log (update 7-30)
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 05:16:22 PM »
Looks awesome man !  Really digin the knurling and strait line grips combo !   Good job !   Look forward to it being lit ! 

Offline Professor Huyang

• Formerly known as TyFighter
  • Master Force User
  • The Saber Baron
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 06:55:23 PM »
I really enjoy the aesthetics you choose. Very industrial and classic OT with some subtle Old Republic/Clan saber influences. Keep up the good work.
"Many years I have been on this ship teaching many a Jedi before you, and I will continue teaching many a Jedi after you. Call me what you want, but inside my memory banks I contain a record of every lightsaber ever made, and the Jedi who fashioned it."
―Huyang

Offline nartules

• Master Force User
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 07:12:10 PM »
Nice short hilt you got going there.  Have you decided what Fonts you are going to put on it?  I think Madcows Shoto font (It is madcows..isn't it?) would go great with the short setup. Definetly a different kind of design.

Time will bring the real end of our trial.  One day they'll be no remnants

Offline Clark Kent

• Master Force User
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2012, 08:51:24 PM »
its very Corran Horn-ish wouldnt you say? but more evil looking, hehehehe, very dark, very sith like, i love it!

of course if thats the look you are going for. i mean if you wanted it to be a princesses saber, sure, ill go with that too, hahahahaha  :P

Offline ice

• Force User
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2012, 09:18:49 AM »
Actually it's a jedi saber.... it does look remotely Corran Horn-ish, I hadn't thought of that, but I don't think it's to dark.

I have a question though, I want it to have a purple blade, and I'm using a LEDEngin RBGW, but when I put the red and blue dice together in series or parallel, I still get a pink blade.  What resistor should I be using to turn down the red so I achieve purple?  Thanks.

Offline ice

• Force User
Re: Purple MHS saber - FINISHED (needs a name)
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2012, 11:33:31 AM »
So it's all done, here's whats in it:

All MHS parts (with some custom work)
CF5.06
Flush mount activation switch
AV aux switch
2 accent LED's
Regal standard speaker
RBGW LEDengine
Inline rubber grips
2 18650's
Standard recharge port
and lots of wires :)

And here's some pics:

CF5.06 (yes, the power extender wasn't finished in this pic)

There wasn't room for a chassis in this hilt, given that it's so short and the inline rubber grips already reduced the ID quite a bit, but I got it all to fit by stacking a twin pack 18650 under the CF.  It's nice and snug, and further secured with a bit of epoxy putty.

Super easy SD card access (rear of hilt).

Pic of lower box installed with recharge port and LED.

The rest of the wiring was done by screwing on the top black piece and threading the wires through the holes cut for the #9 Box.  Then, the main LED was soldered to the led driver and FOC wires, secured in place, and emitter screwed into the hilt.  Lastly, the LED and AV switch were installed into the #9 box, then wired to the saber and screwed into place.  Then BLAM!  All done :D

Normal blade color:

FOC color:

The FOC is much more defined in person, as it shimmers and flickers rapidly.  Will be more noticeable in the video.

You'll notice in this picture that there are two retention screws going through the mid section of the saber:

Your eyes do not deceive you, as they are going straight through the threads of the MHS parts.  That section of the saber never needs to be taken apart, and really can't be, cause the switches and recharge port wires can't twist.  This way, I'm not worried about it ever twisting while I'm using it, and it generally gives the saber a more secure feeling.  Only the pommel and emitter can be unscrewed now.

The blade main color is more purple then in the pictures, though it is not a true purple.  It's like a darkish magenta in person, which isn't what I wanted, but it will do.  The hilt is quite small and light, and I even fit two 18650's in it, so it has excellent run time.  I will have a video up of it in a few days, still playing with software.  Hope you guys like it :)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 11:40:43 AM by ice »

Offline Clark Kent

• Master Force User
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2012, 11:39:21 AM »
wow, nice man, looks beautiful. very impressed. i need to get myself a purple saber. you inspired me to get one, hehehehe.

very nice job, very very nice, i like it a lot.

Offline Xanatos1986

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2012, 12:08:32 PM »
Well... lets see... im not up to date with the star wars EU BUT my friend said coran horn man his lightsaber from a swoop speeder handle?(correct me if im wrong) BUT the way he described that and looking at this this would be my version of one... if this was for sale I would try to trade and or buy it I like it you did a great job. your cramfu seems great :)

if not forsale or trade, can I copy it with some slight changes? if you want to discuss changes id do through PM we can im DIGGING this saber!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 12:15:43 PM by Xanatos1986 »

Offline ice

• Force User
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2012, 12:12:07 PM »
Thank you, and this will be for sale soon.  I'm leaving for vacation on saturday, and I doubt anyone would buy it today so I could ship tomorrow, so I'll be listing when I get back, unless someone sends me an offer I can't resist today or early tomorrow, in which case I'll get it sent out before I leave.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 12:13:51 PM by ice »

Offline Xanatos1986

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2012, 12:45:16 PM »
ill wait then awesome saber BTW, if your going to CVI i might see you there.

Offline EXAR KUN

• SITH/EMPIRE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as SpaceWindu
    • My YouTube channel: youtube.com/spacewindu
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2012, 01:22:52 PM »
Dude I really like this saber! Great job on it, looks very much like it came out of a Star Wars movie.

retrousse