fiduciary

Author Topic: Obscure tools, tips & tricks of the trade  (Read 31041 times)

Offline Darth Chasm

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
Re: Obscure tools, tips & tricks of the trade
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2018, 08:01:04 PM »
Here's something I just made tonight with the Help of @jbkuma. Thanks for answering my questions.

It's a neopixel light that I will attach to the spindle of my mill for additional direct lighting. One of the coolest things is the electronics case. I think its an Xbox memory card case from back in the day hah.

Offline Seth Skywalker

• Padawan Learner
  • That lightsaber... is mine!
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2018, 08:06:38 PM »
Wow! Genius, DC. :huh: I wonder why I havent thought of that before. Even though I dont have a drill press, I still could use it with a standard drill.

Offline Seth Skywalker

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2018, 08:13:57 PM »
Here's my offering =)

Darkmatter73
Now why have I never thought of that before? :embarrassed: Thanks Darkmatter73! We need more people that make  usefull tutorials like that.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 08:16:08 PM by Seth Skywalker »

Offline Darth Chasm

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2018, 08:33:54 PM »
Wow! Genius, DC. :huh: I wonder why I havent thought of that before. Even though I dont have a drill press, I still could use it with a standard drill.

I wish I was that smart. I got the idea from others online. Other people have used rings lights made for microscopes and cars, but I figured I'd make my own.

And shhhhh if my Sherline heard that you called her a drill press she'd cry  :cry:

Offline Seth Skywalker

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2018, 08:43:27 PM »
Sorry. Sherline, is that correct? Hope she is happy now. :wink:
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 08:45:42 PM by Seth Skywalker »

Offline Greenie

• Force User
  • Pew pew!!
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2018, 12:58:04 AM »
Soldering irons, lithium ion batteries, LEDs and more. Things get hot in this hobby. The careless placement of a magnifying glass nearly burnt my garage down last summer! 
So, not really a tool, but definitely a worthy addition to the workshop.

Offline Darth Chasm

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2018, 04:32:41 AM »
Soldering irons, lithium ion batteries, LEDs and more. Things get hot in this hobby. The careless placement of a magnifying glass nearly burnt my garage down last summer! 

Smartest entry yet. Well done and thank you!

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2018, 05:08:04 AM »

I've actually been considering putting a couple of cooktop fire suppression cans in strategic locations!  They are usually installed in commercial range hoods.

Offline Darkmatter73

• Experienced Force User
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2018, 08:05:16 AM »

I'm definitely on board, I've got 4 of them around the house.

Offline EXAR KUN

• SITH/EMPIRE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as SpaceWindu
    • My YouTube channel: youtube.com/spacewindu
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2018, 11:36:51 AM »
For making either string blades or pixel blades (anything with a foam tube or wrap): Baby Powder

Sprinkle some on your hands near the final stages of making your blade, ... when you need to insert your foam covered blade assembly into your blade tube or nylon TCSS diffuser. This will allow the whole assembly that you have in the foam to more easily slide into the tube.

Disperse visible powder (if any) inside the blade tube at the end by striking the blade with your palm. If you don't use too much you won't see any powder at the end.

Offline Darth Chasm

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2018, 12:39:56 PM »
Updated the title to be more encompassing.

Great stuff. Keep it coming!

Offline ARKM

• Master Force User
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2018, 01:10:07 PM »
Here's something I just made tonight with the Help of @jbkuma. Thanks for answering my questions.

It's a neopixel light that I will attach to the spindle of my mill for additional direct lighting. One of the coolest things is the electronics case. I think its an Xbox memory card case from back in the day hah.

Very cool.

Great minds think alike (or like me, have seen it done before and decided to do it themselves, lol).

I made two X2 Mini Mill spindle light mounts a couple of years ago.  Each one was made from three different parts that I machined on my lathe.  I made one of them for me and the other one for Obi-Shane but as you can see, I never installed mine.  I have the matching paint for it and just recently got the double sided foam sheet for mounting the light ring to the metal (I did not want to use a bunch of tiny pieces of the double-sided foam tape and also did not want to use hot glue) and I also have the on-off switch so I have no excuse not to move forward with it.  The light ring was marketed as one of those "halo" ring lights for car headlights.  I got it cheap off of ebay and it runs best off of 9 volts (both the battery and a 9V DC wall plug.  Here's the pic...

« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 01:15:17 PM by ARKM »

Offline Darth Chasm

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2018, 01:47:42 PM »

Very cool.

Great minds think alike (or like me, have seen it done before and decided to do it themselves, lol).

I made two X2 Mini Mill spindle light mounts a couple of years ago.  Each one was made from three different parts that I machined on my lathe.  I made one of them for me and the other one for Obi-Shane but as you can see, I never installed mine.  I have the matching paint for it and just recently got the double sided foam sheet for mounting the light ring to the metal (I did not want to use a bunch of tiny pieces of the double-sided foam tape and also did not want to use hot glue) and I also have the on-off switch so I have no excuse not to move forward with it.  The light ring was marketed as one of those "halo" ring lights for car headlights.  I got it cheap off of ebay and it runs best off of 9 volts (both the battery and a 9V DC wall plug.  Here's the pic...

Minds of a fea... like minde... twisted minds twis..    Cool :cool:

Offline Morannon

• Force User
  • “Luminous beings are we…not this crude matter.”
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2018, 03:51:24 PM »
Not sure how obscure this is, but Sugru is a lifesaver. Mouldable glue that holds well, but can easily be removed if you need to make repairs. I use it for securing little things, or speakers into speaker holders.

Rebellion Run Jacen Solo
GCS Ascend

Offline Darth Chasm

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2018, 01:34:15 PM »
Not sure how obscure this is, but Sugru is a lifesaver. Mouldable glue that holds well, but can easily be removed if you need to make repairs. I use it for securing little things, or speakers into speaker holders.

I have yet to try but definitely want to.

retrousse