fiduciary

Author Topic: Anakin ROTS "plastic" FFX vs. Anakin ROTS "metal" FFX  (Read 30026 times)

Offline General Beavis

• Padawan Learner
  • Use the force... FX!
Re: Anakin ROTS "plastic" FFX vs. Anakin ROTS "metal" FFX
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2006, 02:15:30 AM »
YES! I have the "metal" one! Thanks for putting my mind at rest with this detailed comparisson. You're a star, Aayla.
2005 Anakin Skywalker ROTS
2005 Darth Vader ESB
2005 Luke Skywalker ROTJ

"These are my lightsabers. There are many like them but these ones are mine. My sabers are my best friend. Without me, my sabers are useless. Without my sabers I am useless."

Offline The Abbot

• Master of the Jar'Kai Style
  • Master Force User
  • Lajedi.com ,Force-Fx.com Founder
    • http://www.Force-Fx.com
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2006, 03:05:21 AM »
Great review Aayla Secura..

I think im the only person in the world that likes the plastic version more..and here is why..

1..The staticy sound issue (where you have to take out the batterys) has never happened in my old Plastic Ani but happens in both my Metal Ani..
2..I love the lightweight for spins,best of all FFX..
3. Also the plastic Ani sounds are just a tad louder then both my metal Anis..

But I do like the less blotchey blade of the metal Ani I will give it that.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2006, 04:34:23 AM by Kit Fisto »
LaserBlade:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/laserblade/id608879483?mt=8

The poster formerly known as Kit Fisto. Creator of the Force-FX sig style. Master of the 2 saber staff style way before Pong Krell

Offline BIGGS DARKLIGHTER

• Formerly known as Heimidal
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Red 3 Standing By
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2006, 08:20:20 AM »
Aayla,

Thanks for the great review and for the info. I thought mine was the "metal" version simply due to the weight but I was never sure. I only had the luke ROTJ (which is so light!) and the Vader ESB to compare it to. As far as mine goes...my control box is the lighter color that your "plastic" one is and the pins appear as though they are brass as they look like machined brass not something that has been painted. My buttons are the dark buttons that your "metal" one has. The sound on mine is definitely louder than my luke ROTJ as well. Again, thanks for the info =)

Offline jack3auer

• Do or Do Not there is No Try
  • Master Force User
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2006, 01:05:29 PM »
well i am very surprised tonight, my two sabers were waiting for me when i got home, i picked up the box of the anakin and immediately noticed a difference in the weight from my other one.

when i got it unpacked i found that the saber was heavier than my other one and that the buttons were exactly as shown in aaylas review here.  the rabbit ears are exactly the same as on my other one and both versions are  metal.      i think the center band on my first could in fact be plastic as it sounds different to a tap from a battery than the newer one. 

i also found that the ignition sound is slightly different (hard to put a finger on it) the other sounds are the same and the volume is the same as my first one.  the most marked difference apart from the weight is the blade, which for me seems a little closer to the colour of my luke esb, i have compared all three and though the esb is easily distinguishable there is a slight shade difference between the two anakins.

i have weighed both  sabers and  the weights are as follows plastic version = 650 grams  Metal one = 900grams (both including batteries).

i know what kit is talking about when he says the lighter one is better for dueling,this i agree with however i will likely ebay my plasticy one now.

Sephiroth

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2006, 01:25:17 PM »
Nice review and an overall good comparison.

Keep it up and you'll be up to my level in no time.

I'm still unsure which version I actually have, but I really don't care.   I bought it near the end of 05, so it's probably the metal version.   Still, whichever version it is, it's a kick-xxx lightsaber.

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Red 3 Standing By
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2006, 04:06:27 PM »
Wow.. 650 grams vs 900 grams. I can't believe the "metal" one weights almost 1.5 times what the "plastic" one does. Hmm... now I need to weigh mine! =) Thanks for the info btw...

Offline AAYLA SECURA

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2006, 04:24:10 PM »
Thanks again, everyone.

I was looking at the pics Dark Skywalker posted of his Anakin ROTS LE over in the Gallery forum, and it has the same deep yellow coloring on the control box and ignition switch as my new metal Anakin. I guess they did try to further improve it. Another reason for me to prefer the metal version now.  ;)
Hasbro Signature Series
Luke Skywalker ANH with Removable Blade
Obi-Wan Kenobi ROTS with Removable Blade
Darth Maul TPM with Removable Blade
Kit Fisto AOTC with Removable Blade
Luke Skywalker ROTJ

Offline Darthirishman

• Master Force User
  • They used to call me Sifo-Dyas
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2006, 05:35:05 PM »
The funny thing is both my Anakins are metal
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.  Then go find the person who has vodka and have a party

Offline registrau

• Experienced Force User
  • ...in a galaxy far, far away
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2006, 07:27:20 AM »
I'm waiting to receive my Anakin ROTS now, and I'm really wondering wether it will be the plastic or metal version. I bought it through ebay, to a shop that seems to sell lots of sabers every week (so I guess it should be the new metal generation).

I read in this thread that metal ani weighs more than vader ESB. Wow, that's something I never thought possible!, although I only have Luke ROTJ which is light, and Vader ESB which I think is quite heavy. By the "look" of the pictures I would have never guessed that Anakin would weigh more than Vader ESB.

I'll let you know when mine arrives.

Offline GioFX

• Master Force User
  • so say we all ...
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2006, 11:06:22 AM »
to me, just feeling in the hand, the vader esb is near the same weight or a little (very little) more heavy than anakin "metal"

Offline AAYLA SECURA

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2006, 05:01:55 PM »
I read in this thread that metal ani weighs more than vader ESB. Wow, that's something I never thought possible!, although I only have Luke ROTJ which is light, and Vader ESB which I think is quite heavy. By the "look" of the pictures I would have never guessed that Anakin would weigh more than Vader ESB.

My Vader ESB is definitely a bit heavier than the metal Anakin ROTS. Which is a good thing I think... I can see Vader carrying around a lightsaber that's heavier than most. I'm sure his robotic arms are capable of more than those of a human. ;)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2006, 01:28:07 PM by Aayla Secura »
Hasbro Signature Series
Luke Skywalker ANH with Removable Blade
Obi-Wan Kenobi ROTS with Removable Blade
Darth Maul TPM with Removable Blade
Kit Fisto AOTC with Removable Blade
Luke Skywalker ROTJ

Offline General Beavis

• Padawan Learner
  • Use the force... FX!
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2006, 09:23:39 AM »
Yeah. My Vader is noticably heavier than my Anakin saber. But then again, Vader's saber feels like it should be heavier.  ;)
2005 Anakin Skywalker ROTS
2005 Darth Vader ESB
2005 Luke Skywalker ROTJ

"These are my lightsabers. There are many like them but these ones are mine. My sabers are my best friend. Without me, my sabers are useless. Without my sabers I am useless."

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Red 3 Standing By
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2006, 10:42:02 AM »
I really need to bring a good balance home from work or bring my FX sabers in and weigh all of them. That way I'd know for sure what each one weighs...

Offline registrau

• Experienced Force User
  • ...in a galaxy far, far away
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2006, 02:17:40 PM »
Just received my Anakin ROTS, sweet saber. But I honestly can't really determine wether it's the metal one or not. I'd say it's metal as it seems to weight a bit more than Luke ROTJ and a bit less than Vader ESB, and the blade is sturdy, not wobbly at all.

But looking at the color of the copper buttons, or the yellow of the switch box, I honestly can't tell the difference. The small pins seem cool to me, but they don't look like screws in mine, they are nicer than screws.

Whatever version it is, I can say I'm pretty happy with it, blade is the most even (in terms of light) of all my 3 sabers. And I don't see the unfamous dark spot in the middle. The policarbonate blade seems flawless too. The hilt has a bit of "black paint" that can be seen at the plastic black part underneath the emiter metal part, where the blade comes from, as if a little bit of black glue or black paint hadn't been equally absorbed or maybe some of it spilt that black plastic part, but it's almost unseeable.

A very cool saber indeed, as all the rest I've had in my hands so far.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2006, 02:26:47 PM by registrau »

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Red 3 Standing By
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2006, 02:29:40 PM »
Mine has a bit of "black paint" as well. I thought about trying to remove it...but it just doesn't bother me that much either =)

retrousse