fiduciary

Author Topic: LED string saber evolution - this might change the way we think about LED string  (Read 19636 times)

Offline neskweek

• No Force
    • LightSaberOS
I use those 18350 on the video because my olds 18650 test batterys were charging.
Right now I only have  IMR (Lithium Manganese Rechargeable) battery cell at home because as I vape , I need highdrain batteries.

ICR (Lithium Cobalt Rechargeable) batteries may hold more power but they have lower discharge current ratings.
For this application they should be ok to use too.

Offline Obi_1

• Mining Colony Members
  • Experienced Force User
  • Creator of DIYino - first open source FX-board
I think I remember someone mentioning it before but would you mind drawing up a simple wiring diagram to see how you wired these?  Shouldn't you be able to run two strips in a parallel configuration with a 7.4 v pack?

Remember, they are not just LEDs, but a driver circuitry integrated. And they are not designed for floating supply. But hey, why would you want 7.4? You can have 2x3.7V for greater capacity.

Offline KingOfDathomir

• Master Force User
  • Call me... Old Master
What about region-of-impact effects for, say FoC and lock-up or random-location blaster deflection effects along the string? Or am I getting ahead of myself with the Arduino's capabilities....?

*brain exlodes*

Korbanth Sid
Korbanth MW3
Korbanth DM1 v2014
RomanProps Inception Elite
MR 2005 Anakin ROTS LE
Korbanth Duke
HFFX ANH Darth Vader
SF Luke ROTJ Hero
Korbanth Crossguard
Korbanth Graflex v2.0 (Finn-flex)
AHS w/ Crystal Shard v1
Pachstore Shadowblade (SWR Darksaber)
VyleOne TCW Asajj Ventress (3-D printed, 1:1)
VyleOne TCW Pre-Viszla Darksaber (3-D printed, 1:1)
KR Sabers Kenobi ROTS

Offline Obi_1

• Mining Colony Members
  • Experienced Force User
What about region-of-impact effects for, say FoC and lock-up or random-location blaster deflection effects along the string? Or am I getting ahead of myself with the Arduino's capabilities....?

*brain exlodes*

Certainly such gimmicks are in the realm of possibilities for neopixels, it's just a matter of programming. It's also not outside the Arduino's capabilities, but it's like with other aspects of lightsaber building: it's a bit about cram-fu, if you want to put in many things, you might run out of code space. But the situation is not so dramatic as with hilts (I speak from experience...:) )

I guess as people will start to build sabers with neopixels, we will see a lot of innovative ideas emerging, for code, for diffusing, for better supply concept etc. It's a new tecnology, thus plenty of opportunity to contribute.

Offline JakeSoft

• Experienced Force User
  • The Arduino Jedi
    • Universal Saber Library

*brain exlodes*

Based on my own personal experience and what I've seen other folks doing on the Arduino forums, this seems well within the capabilities of the Arduino + NeoPixel solution.

Offline Obi_1

• Mining Colony Members
  • Experienced Force User
For those interested in the technical details, I've made a characterization of the WS2812B type neopixel blade to obtain:
- current of the individual LEDs as a function of supply voltage
- subjective brightness as a function of supply voltage

The charts and measurement results can be found here:
http://github.com/Protonerd/DIYino/blob/master/Neopixels_Characterisation_report1.pdf

retrousse