fiduciary

Author Topic: Sound fonts  (Read 3465 times)

Offline grif

• Padawan Learner
Sound fonts
« on: October 23, 2019, 08:18:23 PM »
Font makers are doing everything they can to make proffie fonts work on cfx. Including adjusting the board to be more like proffie. It's just not the same. I have taken a few fonts and adjusted in audacity to sound good with close to factory settings. This will piss some people off but laziness and not making new fonts from the ground up is giving cfx a bad name. So this did turn into a rant but my real intention is to ask you to point some of these guys in the right direction. Weather it be information or a post telling them cfx is not proffie and please stop treating it as such. Thanks Erv.

Offline erv

• Plecter Labs Inc. "Keeper of the Buttered Toast"
  • Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as Irvin PLECTER
    • Plecter Labs - Props Electronics
Re: Sound fonts
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2019, 01:01:34 AM »
I understand part of it but I don't see any "confusion" possible, CFX is CFX. I don't post anything like "it's like a proffie" and I'm clearly staying out of any discussion regarding "ballz size comparison talks".
From what I experienced, especially with Ksith fonts, is that his fonts for instance (and just as an exemple) don't need any adjustments to my tastes, maybe some adj. on the smoothswing sharpness or sensitivity, but nothing like crazy tuning. The font itself I didn't touch, and the reason is simple, he normalizes all his sounds, which is what I've always advised since that what provides both normalized volume and best SNR.
That being said, and since there's always room for improvements, the output mixer of the CFX has scheduled modification to allow for flexibility with this and provide a better "compatibility" so to speak.

Like you said, with just adjusting (and i suppose you normalized indeed) the font, it works to your taste and without a lot of work, meaning that some fonts could be slightly reworked maybe ?

Offline grif

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2019, 05:30:56 AM »
I have also had the best results with ksith fonts that were converted with minimal tweaking. All others I've had to modify quite a bit. I'm seeing fonts being sold for cfx that clearly haven't been tested on cfx. Just name changes. Now I'm seeing recommendations of doing major settings changes so cfx acts more like proffie. The end result is of course bad talk. I agree on not getting into a board war conversation. So in the end I'm just hoping font makers will step up their game. I know this post was kind of a waste of time and i apologize but it needed to be said somewhere.

Offline K-2SO

• Killer Droid Extraordinaire
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Congratulations! You are being rescued.
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2019, 06:06:33 AM »
I don’t see how the fact that some apparently can’t tell that one board is different from another board is giving the CFX a bad name.

Sounds to me like either -

1. Some font makers are only good (or use to - take your pick) at making fonts for a specific board (and not the other), or ....

2. There is a fair amount of laziness (or lack of real testing/QC) from some of the font makers going on, which isn’t a board manufacturers fault, as he manufactures the boards, and doesn’t make fonts for it, I also believe that he explained how his system works somewhere along the way.

Personally I’d stick to font from people who I know really tested them on the actual board. I know there are some I would always buy fonts from, and a couple that I’d NEVER touch.

I find your arguments vague and unconvincing.

Quiet! *Slap* And there’s a fresh one if you mouth off again.

Offline grif

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2019, 07:39:29 AM »
I never implied it was the board makers fault. I posted here because people will listen to the board maker. As for giving cfx a bad name. People talk. When some say that proffie sounds better people listen.

Offline LUMINARA UNDULI

• Master of the purple blade
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly Known As Allaerra
    • Vader's Vault
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2019, 12:38:03 PM »
This is true.  But, fact is, a font should be optimized to the particular board.  The CFX sounds wonderful, and has a warm clear sound which, IMHO is preferable to some other options no matter how loudly people try to claim otherwise.  The issue though, is that every board out there is different and there will never be a one size fits all font.  A good fontmaker who actually cares about their craft will know this and make a font mixed properly for the board it is for. 

Just because someone claims a lot of audio experience does not mean they know everything.  I too have noticed this trend to say CFX does not sound good because XYZ font that has nothing to do with CFX does not sound as good on CFX as it sounds on the board it was tweaked for.  I do not know if it is being done deliberately to try to hurt CFX or if it is ignorance or even laziness of not wanting to take the time to spend to mix for CFX.  The fonts that have been tweaked sound awesome.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 12:42:32 PM by LUMINARA UNDULI »

Facebook: VVFB

Offline grif

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2019, 02:25:39 PM »
My only reason for coming here was to bring awareness. Perhaps i worded some things wrong. When i spend money on fonts i prefer not to get proffie fonts that have just been renamed. And i also don't feel that the board settings should have to be drastically changed to conform to a font. It should be the other way around. I also don't think the fonts that have been so called optimized (file names changed) sound as good as they should. And once again i never implied that this is Erv's fault or his problem. This just seemed like a good place to bring it up and possibly have it addressed by someone more important than me. My apologies to anyone that misunderstood or took offense. Now i do know how to make the fonts sound good for me and will continue doing so. After all. Without sound they're just flashlights.

Offline LUMINARA UNDULI

• Master of the purple blade
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly Known As Allaerra
    • Vader's Vault
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2019, 02:47:52 PM »
Absolutely Grif.  I am glad you brought it up. 

Facebook: VVFB

Offline K-2SO

• Killer Droid Extraordinaire
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Congratulations! You are being rescued.
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2019, 04:20:02 PM »
When i spend money on fonts i prefer not to get proffie fonts that have just been renamed. And i also don't feel that the board settings should have to be drastically changed to conform to a font. It should be the other way around. I also don't think the fonts that have been so called optimized (file names changed) sound as good as they should.

I completely agree, and I also agree with what Luminara said as well. As I stated earlier, it sounds to me like one (possibly more) sound font makers are just being a tad lazy. As I also stated before there are certain sound font makers that I would always buy from, and one or two that I would avoid at all costs.

I find your arguments vague and unconvincing.

Quiet! *Slap* And there’s a fresh one if you mouth off again.

Offline erv

• Plecter Labs Inc. "Keeper of the Buttered Toast"
  • Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as Irvin PLECTER
    • Plecter Labs - Props Electronics
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2019, 02:37:06 AM »
I'm glad you brought it up too. Recent "loud posting" on social media about CFX smoothswing implementation only highlighted that you could get the expected behavior, responsiveness and even volume with a couple of adjustments in the font_config.txt file / parameters, which is what they are meant for. But indeed, it takes some time and work and I'm glad a few are going those extra miles to tune it to their taste. True, I've never intended to mimic or replicate the proffie implementation, in particular to the point for which parameters would produce the exact same result. Simply because some of our HW is different, and the software as well and I'm not design an emulator.
Still, parameters are provided to allows for some tuning and even if there's (always) room for improvement, it seems that tuning those leads to great results.
With the expertise of some, and shared results, I'm sure users will converge to a better use / usability of the board, and that word will spread out as well. :smiley:

retrousse