fiduciary

Author Topic: Need a new mid to low range soundboard  (Read 1633 times)

Offline Chadm

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
Need a new mid to low range soundboard
« on: February 22, 2019, 07:59:47 PM »
Hello!

I am a long time reader but first time posting. I was gifted an ultrasaber and when i opened it up to look at making some changes a couple parts on the obsidian board started smoking and caught fire. not sure why. i wanted to just replace the parts that melted but Ultrasabers told me the components on their boards are proprietary and the most they can do is to look at it but will probably have to replace the board for $60. at that point i may as well buy a nano biscotte or something in that ballpark.

I had this happen when i was first learning to wire a Prizm 5.1 and  i blew the amp. Erv went above and beyond by telling me the part to buy and what needed fixing just based on a photo and description of what i had done.

At this point I am looking for a used or low price board that ideally supports flash on clash and has a decent enough reputation. Most likely will go with a plector labs board but am open to other ideas as this saber is just a side project and will probably be a loaner for my friends.

Any advice?

Thanks
-Chad

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
Re: Need a new mid to low range soundboard
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2019, 08:20:46 PM »
That's a steaming load of crap. There is almost certainly nothing on the board that can't be replaced is it contains program memory. Every other component on the board is going to be an off the shelf part.

Offline K-2SO

• Killer Droid Extraordinaire
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Congratulations! You are being rescued.
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2019, 08:28:28 PM »
That's a steaming load of crap. There is almost certainly nothing on the board that can't be replaced is it contains program memory. Every other component on the board is going to be an off the shelf part.

Slow down Speed Racer. Chadm didn’t trash the Prism board or Plecter Labs in general. Erv told him what part to get, and Chadm apparently has the ability to replace a blown amp on his own.

Now, to answer the OP, the Nano or Pico Crumble would be your best bet, unless you can find someone who is looking to unload an older board.

I find your arguments vague and unconvincing.

Quiet! *Slap* And there’s a fresh one if you mouth off again.

Offline Chadm

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2019, 10:50:32 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think jbkuma was just saying the Ultrasabers people not being willing to tell me what transistors blew is what is a steaming load of crap. I kind of agree, but I guess if I'm looking on the bright side now I have a great excuse to get a better board.

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2019, 11:07:40 PM »
@K2SO I was referring to US refusal to provide reasonable help.

To claim that your board is proprietary and not reparable is ridiculous. Most of the parts could be replaced for pennies (plus shipping), and should be readily available. There is no reason not to identify the components of the board. It's not like resistors or amps are a secret technology. Some obscure the identity of the components by removing the identifying marks and blurring photos, but anyone who has the ability to reverse engineer the hardware doesn't need help doing it. Anyone who knows what to do with it already knows what an inductor, or a PIC24, or an LDO looks like. The thing of real value is the code on the chip. Everything else is just information a minimum of experience, a parametric search, and a datasheet can lay bare with an hour's effort.

There has been other instances where folks have posted here in confusion or frustration when board developers have lied about the components on their board in order to prevent repair.

It's not protecting special information, it's anti-consumer money gauging. Just like when Apple tries to tell you you aren't allowed to repair the $1,000 device you paid good money for.

@Chadm
You should definitely go to someone that will actually support and stand by their product.  The Plecter boards are certainly well supported. 

Offline K-2SO

• Administrator
  • Master Force User
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2019, 07:47:06 AM »
Ah, ok. Well US’s failure to provide reasonable help is par for the course. They coat their boards in that black crap for a reason.
Their response for help is also, sadly, par for the course. They’re only really interesting in making money.

Offline JakeSoft

• Experienced Force User
  • The Arduino Jedi
    • Universal Saber Library
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2019, 12:18:16 PM »
Ah, ok. Well US’s failure to provide reasonable help is par for the course. They coat their boards in that black crap for a reason.
Their response for help is also, sadly, par for the course. They’re only really interesting in making money.

I don't disagree with any of that, but you also have to remember that when you contact a company for this specific kind of help, the person on the phone or replying to your email may have little to no technical knowledge, so they couldn't help you even if they wanted to. So they just give you a canned response. It's just an unfortunate reality about how a lot of businesses operate, especially once they get to a certain size.

As JBKuma said though, there is nothing new under the sun. Nobody is making their own proprietary ICs for saber boards. That's silly.

Offline K-2SO

• Administrator
  • Master Force User
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2019, 12:57:21 PM »
I am VERY familiar with the ownership of Ultrasabers, and even had seen the results of on of their earlier boards after dissection.  :cool:

What I posted before is just the "PG" rated version of what I could (and have) said elsewhere in the past where that bunch is concerned.   :angel:

retrousse