fiduciary

Author Topic: s3an's Anakin ROTS vs. Vader ESB  (Read 4888 times)

Offline PLO KOON

• formerly known as s3an_looi
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
    • Find me on Facebook
s3an's Anakin ROTS vs. Vader ESB
« on: August 03, 2005, 09:12:39 AM »
This is going to be simple and brief. Here goes...

HILT
Both the Anakin ROTS and Vader ESB have very sturdy designs. They look very good and they feel solid as well. The Anakin ROTS does feel very much lighter compared to the Vader ESB. It's just too bad that the gold plating on the Anakin may come off in time. One won't have to worry about anything fading off from the Vader ESB. Both are almost the same size.

BLADE
Well, it was mentioned that our eyes respond to blue better even though the lightmeter measures the same reading for both blue and red.

Anakin:
The blue blade was able to light a dark room no problem! The start-up is a little blinding. And when I turn it off, I can still see some kinda 'light-shadow imprint-thing' (xxx, what is it you call it?)

Vader:
Compared to Anakin, it didn't seem that bright. But it still is beautiful nevertheless. The whole blade glows red. Mine is a little bit, teeny weeny shaky (very trivial, but I hope it doesn't get worst). Probably due to the force I had to hit it with to get the clash effects (more on that later).

SOUND
Anakin:
I've got nothing much to complain about because the sound is perfect. I don't see/hear how it is loud and scratchy. I'd like it to be louder still, especially the idle hum, and movement sounds. Clash effects are easy to set off without hitting it too hard. Startup, powerdown and motion synchronisation is good as well.

Vader:
the idle hum (or RUMBLE) is really menacing and suits the saber very well, a little soft though. Even though there is only one, the clash effect is loud and I love it, it has that sizzling kind of effect. However, it is difficult to set off the clash sound for the Vader ESb. I had to hit it pretty hard, or maybe it's just the technique (which I'm still figuring out at the moment). either way, Anakin ROTS is very much easier to set off the clashes. Powerup/down sounds are timed perfectly.

I'm not very happy with the motion sounds of the Vader ESB though because it seems that they are VERY SENSITIVE (MUCH more than the Anakin). There are situations that even if I hold the saber still and move it a little, i hear the swoosh (or some other effect) THREE TIMES without stopping. The 'swing' effects come and go as they please, so this isn't very fun. The only way i'm overcoming it is try to accomodate my swinging style to the sound. This is the ONLY thing that I'm pissed about.

CONCLUSION
I'm happy I have both of these lightsabers. Shopowner told me that production for Anakin ROTS, Vader ESB and Mace Windu AOTC will be stopping this month (August 2005). These lightsabers are fun when you play with someone else (I know, it is not recommended to duel with these things). But heck, I let my little sister (10yr old) to practice with me! She likes it (at least I think she does cause she didn't say "no").

I really hope that these lightsabers will last a long time. I'd like to display them once I have a place of my own (which will probably take 5-6 years from now). Even though they are expensive (I paid RM1050 for both of them), I do not regret one bit for purchasing these two awesome lightsabers of Anakin who turned to the dark side and became Darth Vader.

Offline trexy

• General of the Old Republic
  • Master Force User
  • At last we will have revenge!
Re: s3an's Anakin ROTS vs. Vader ESB
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2005, 09:17:50 AM »
excelent review, but they'r gonna stop shipping in august????

Offline UberJediVK

• formerly known as UberJediVK
  • Master Force User
  • Nice..
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2005, 09:19:47 AM »
good review despite the 'simple and brief' part..  ;)
"What's in there?"

"...Only what you take with you..."

FX Collection:
Anakin ROTS
Vader ESB

Offline PLO KOON

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
    • Find me on Facebook
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2005, 09:23:59 AM »
excelent review, but they'r gonna stop shipping in august????

No, not "stop shipping", it's "stop production". Anyway, the best confirmation to get is from MR themselves.

Offline trexy

• General of the Old Republic
  • Master Force User
  • At last we will have revenge!
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2005, 09:43:44 AM »
oh sry my bad

Offline PLO KOON

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
    • Find me on Facebook
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2005, 07:30:44 PM »
This is something I need to know. It is difficult for me to get the clash sounds on the vader ESB. I think I'm hitting harder than necessary (on another Lightsaber blade, mind you) and I don't feel comfortable with the amount of force going into it. Is this the same with you guys?

The motion swing sounds cannot be helped, it seems like almost ever Vader ESB has the problem.

Offline Mr.Griffin

• Master Force User
  • mmmmm... Star Wars
    • Family Guy Stuff
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2005, 07:46:16 PM »
stopping production this month... $ ;D$
{[][][][]--{}================

(((FORMALLY MR.GRIFFIN)))

azizulego

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2005, 09:03:29 PM »
I'm kind of interested in FX Saber.

Where can I purchase this saber in Malaysia Sean ???

I hope you can help me .....

thank you.

Offline PLO KOON

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
    • Find me on Facebook
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2005, 02:02:02 AM »
Hi Azizulego, check your PM.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2005, 04:45:58 AM by s3an_looi »

Offline PLO KOON

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
    • Find me on Facebook
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2005, 01:56:25 AM »
REVIEW UPDATE:

I got the Anakin ROTS and Vader ESB in August 2005. It's October now and 2 whole months have passed since I laid my hands on them. I find that my perspective of them has changed and some saber stuff has changed too...

First off, the motion sensors in the Vader ESB has become more accurate than when I first got them. The sounds go hand-in-hand with any swings I do (works well with horizontal left-right motions). The double-swing sound never did blend well. It is impossible for the Anakin ROTS and Vader ESB's motion sensors to work PERFECTLY. But they work well enough and I'm happy.

I was making a little fuss about the clash effect of the Vader ESB because it was quite difficult to set it off. After some duelling and accidently whacking the saber on things you're not supposed to (i.e. wall, staircase railings, door frame), the clash sensor is very much more sensitive than before, but it still doesn't beat the Anakin ROTS (yet).

I find that Vader ESB sound is the BEST compared to tha Anakin ROTS. Anakin ROTS' sound is scratchy in every sense of the word. It is the loudest but it has a certain distortion to it, not very pleasing IMHO. I have grown to love the sounds of the Vader ESB. The sounds are clean and pleasing to the ear. Love the idle rumble of the Vader, the Anakin's idle hum sounds something like "wheng-wheng-wheng-whooar".

On durability... both are pretty sturdy. But I cringe at the thought that the Anakin ROTS will fade in time, under the gold is black plastic and the copper will fade to silver. The Vader ESB will not suffer any fading. The wires are actually made of plastic with a clear rubber coating to simulate a real wire, this coating is starting to peel and does not spoil the saber in anyway.

Offline Jedi Ollie

• Force User
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2005, 01:14:43 PM »
Hey, nice and imformative comparison man! Good job.  ;)

retrousse