fiduciary

Author Topic: A Heritage Clone of Caine's V2  (Read 2574 times)

Offline GENERAL GRIEVOUS

• Call 1-800-GENERAL now!
  • SITH/EMPIRE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • The Saber Artist formerly known as LDM
    • ldmcustomsabers.com
A Heritage Clone of Caine's V2
« on: September 30, 2010, 04:21:04 PM »
Heritage Clone of Caine's V2 for J. Estrada

This is a fully MHS-based V2 saber for a web client of mine.  I believe he is now also a member of Fx-s.  He requested a "clone" of Caine's V2 with an US 2.5.  Anyone familiar with the weathering process understands that a clone would be patently impossible, but I came pretty close (I actually weathered this the day after Caine left here on his last visit.  I visited with his V2 for a long time that weekend so this saber is definitely true to its heritage!  I did make one change, in that I moved the cone knob's placement to a more accurate position.  This saber has "Touch-plate" activation, "Reverse Sound", a faux "Crystal Pommel" and a backlit box.  All of the greeblies are made by Pastor Jedi except for the cone which is made by some dude called LDM.  Anyways, another V2 hath entered unto the world to bring joy to it's new owner.  Enjoy James.

Particulars:

MHS-based V2 Hilt
Pastor Jedi Greeblies
Baked & Clear coated Weathering
Ultrasound 2.5
Seoul P4 main LED
Touch Plate Activation
Reverse Sound
faux Crystal Pommel
3.7V Li-ion w/2.1mm recharge/kill in pommel
Back-lit activation box
D-ring
LDM Cone knob
HO Speaker

The BMT:

The Glams:

Selected Build/Proof/weathering pix:

« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 04:23:54 PM by GENERAL GRIEVOUS »

Offline gchu149

• Master Force User
  • Now we are cosmic friends forever, ok?
Re: A Heritage Clone of Caine's V2
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 05:59:54 PM »
Nice LDM! Although I LOVE the weathering on my V2 (which is more like heavy weathering, like it's been dropped a few times), this one has a very natural look to it, like it's been merely used (and not abused). ;D

Makes me very excited to see how the upgrade is going to be (on mine).

A great V2 with all the bells and whistles! And as screen accurate as an MHS V2 can be to boot!

But the saber looks strangely familiar to me...(especially the lever *wink wink*  ;))
de CF
Click the link to view my collection at the very bottom of the page:
http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=20080.msg330140#msg330140

Offline Sandpeople are people too

• Once made Darth Vader Chuckle
  • Master Force User
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 07:12:48 PM »
Raising the bar.  when I finally commit to getting a hero V2, this goes into the short list!  And stylistically, I do like the hidden/faux crystal in the pommel more than the exposed.

very nice.

Offline Caine

• Kwai Chang Caine master of duel-fu
  • Master Force User
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 08:22:52 PM »

A great V2 with all the bells and whistles! And as screen accurate as an MHS V2 can be to boot!

No, it's the second one actually. (Remember who's it's cloned after, haha)

Great job, LDM....and congrats to James!

Offline GENERAL GRIEVOUS

• Master Force User
    • ldmcustomsabers.com
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2010, 09:11:05 PM »

But the saber looks strangely familiar to me...(especially the lever *wink wink*  ;))

LOL, all of mine are that way.  I had to order an all new one for you!  Your weathering is indeed "darker" for some reason.  I am not sure exactly why his came out more of a "charcoal", even thought I used the same exact can of enamel!  I guess that is what makes each of these so special...the subtle differences!

No, it's the second one actually. (Remember who's it's cloned after, haha)

LOL, it is actually the 4th:   Caines--->gchu149's---> LDM's scratch machined V2---> James's V2...more to come, lol.  I consider Caine's the first of this current line of "Semi-custom" to "custom" V2's

Anyways, thanks everyone.  I really expected zero comments on another V2. ;)

Offline gchu149

• Master Force User
  • Now we are cosmic friends forever, ok?
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 09:50:08 PM »
In my mind, Caine kinda started the whole V2 craze or recent. (not that I mind seeing more and more wonderful V2s around here).

IMO, Caine's V2 is really the epitome of V2s as so many of these sabers are based off of Caine's original design, especially the use of the touch plate activation (and soon to come, clash flash!)

And LDM, about the subtle differences. I was thinking earlier about what would happen if we placed all the V2s of this style on a table next to each other and we took some random people and ask them the differences they would see in the sabers (probably no differences). But if we just took a look at the V2s, we'd instantly be able to tell which one belongs to us.
I like how even same sabers of a specific design (most of these are based of of Caine's) are still so very different.
de CF
Click the link to view my collection at the very bottom of the page:
http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=20080.msg330140#msg330140

Offline GENERAL GRIEVOUS

• Master Force User
    • ldmcustomsabers.com
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2010, 09:56:16 PM »
In my mind, Caine kinda started the whole V2 craze or recent. (not that I mind seeing more and more wonderful V2s around here).

IMO, Caine's V2 is really the epitome of V2s as so many of these sabers are based off of Caine's original design, especially the use of the touch plate activation (and soon to come, clash flash!)

And LDM, about the subtle differences. I was thinking earlier about what would happen if we placed all the V2s of this style on a table next to each other and we took some random people and ask them the differences they would see in the sabers (probably no differences). But if we just took a look at the V2s, we'd instantly be able to tell which one belongs to us.
I like how even same sabers of a specific design (most of these are based of of Caine's) are still so very different.

Well said.  I feel the same and I love to see them again.  Each of them feels like a little part of me.  Yours is going to be very nice and will rival Caine's when I get finished with it.  Of course, the first of all the GREAT V2's was done by my friend Madcow and his saber is the icon toward which I strive every time someone commissions me for another V2.  That is where Caine's idea came from when he originally asked me.  Jango has also been a great Master of the V2 for a long time as well.  He and I talk V2 often and share ideas.  Madcow, Jango and myself...we all want these to be the best replicas available.  Period. ;D

Offline Caine

• Master Force User
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2010, 10:29:17 PM »

Well said.  I feel the same and I love to see them again.  Each of them feels like a little part of me.  Yours is going to be very nice and will rival Caine's when I get finished with it.  Of course, the first of all the GREAT V2's was done by my friend Madcow and his saber is the icon toward which I strive every time someone commissions me for another V2.  That is where Caine's idea came from when he originally asked me.  Jango has also been a great Master of the V2 for a long time as well.  He and I talk V2 often and share ideas.  Madcow, Jango and myself...we all want these to be the best replicas available.  Period. ;D

Yes, it was Madcow's V2 that made me want one in the first place. IMO, that set the standard for all future V2's from that point. My V2 has gone thru MANY changes, and it will again when I install my C.F. V5 in it (it'll be another month or so since the board needed some repairs) but as far as the overall weathering, IMO mine is second to Madcow's (sorry, I am biased here, lol) but every V2 that comes out of the LDM workshop, the Jango workshop and the MH workshop are beautiful pieces that will be enjoyed by us...their lucky owners   :)

Offline Thchosen1

• No Force
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2010, 12:02:34 AM »
LDM-

All I have to say is...Wow! What an unbelievable job you did constructing my Caine inspired V2! I was totally honored and super excited to see the final product in what is widely known as "Black Mat Time". From the time we started discussing this project till now, you have been super helpful and willing to answer any and all of my requests and questions. This whole process went very smoothly and I have had a blast with all the funny back and forth emailing as well as watching all of the great YouTube vids! I can't wait to wield this mighty saber, truly a day I look forward to!

I'd also like to give Caine Drathul a most righteous shout out! I contacted LDM the very night I saw his video of your fully constructed V2. So thank you for having the vision for this particular saber. Touch plate activation? Killer man, easily my favorite and IMO the most accurate/realistic feature! I also enjoy all of your vids!

To all of those wanting a custom/clone/movie accurate saber... Well look no further than LDM! He's just one heck of a dude, and a darn good saber smith. I highly recommend him. After all who doesn't want their very own "Black Mat Time!"

-James

Offline Caine

• Master Force User
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2010, 12:22:41 AM »
LDM-

All I have to say is...Wow! What an unbelievable job you did constructing my Caine inspired V2! I was totally honored and super excited to see the final product in what is widely known as "Black Mat Time". From the time we started discussing this project till now, you have been super helpful and willing to answer any and all of my requests and questions. This whole process went very smoothly and I have had a blast with all the funny back and forth emailing as well as watching all of the great YouTube vids! I can't wait to wield this mighty saber, truly a day I look forward to!

I'd also like to give Caine Drathul a most righteous shout out! I contacted LDM the very night I saw his video of your fully constructed V2. So thank you for having the vision for this particular saber. Touch plate activation? Killer man, easily my favorite and IMO the most accurate/realistic feature! I also enjoy all of your vids!

To all of those wanting a custom/clone/movie accurate saber... Well look no further than LDM! He's just one heck of a dude, and a darn good saber smith. I highly recommend him. After all who doesn't want their very own "Black Mat Time!"

-James

Welcome to the forums and thanks for all the kind words....I look forward to seeing more BMT's with sabers for you! (you can never stop at one LDM saber)...and even though I build my own now, he will always be my choice smith for those "uber special" customs.  ;D

Offline krig

• Force User
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2010, 05:56:28 AM »
naaah one LDM saber is never enough... I have like 5-6 of his creations and Im still wanting more...!  ;D

Welcome to the forum.

Offline GENERAL GRIEVOUS

• Master Force User
    • ldmcustomsabers.com
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2010, 01:56:19 PM »
Thanks guys.  You are making a fella blush. :D

retrousse