fiduciary

Author Topic: "Precipice" (redone 11-17-11) for Nightstorm by LDM  (Read 4774 times)

Offline GENERAL GRIEVOUS

• Call 1-800-GENERAL now!
  • SITH/EMPIRE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • The Saber Artist formerly known as LDM
    • ldmcustomsabers.com
"Precipice" (redone 11-17-11) for Nightstorm by LDM
« on: October 23, 2009, 11:51:23 PM »
Precipice Redone

With the Advent of the PC-U, this one found her way back into Nightstorm's drawer (yes, Nightstorm has his own permanent drawer) for upgrade.  I wasn't sure that I could keep all the blinkies...but I did.  I went with the chassis system that I used in his Vergence staff redo a few weeks ago.  To say that this is my most intricate PC build would not be an over exaggeration since I lost count at 160 solder joints...All cosmetic changes were at his request and meant to be utilized in a reverse grip orientation.  I added his tweaked version of Madcow's Bespin II as well.  SD access is at the front of the hilt (the choke and BH must be removed to get at it) just like the Vergence Staff.  Peace.

Particulars:
PCv1.5
Madcow's Bespin II
P4 Blue
5 blinkies
Reverse Sound
Crystal Pommel
Machined PVC Chassis
Kobitone HO speaker
3.7V (14670) V Li-ion
2.1mm Recharge/kill in pommel

The BMT:

The new Glams:

Link to Build:
http://s291.photobucket.com/albums/ll317/drdicarlo/Precipice/Precipice%20Redone%202011/

***OP is below

Nightstorm contacted me about recreating Defiance.  I told him that changes had to be made, but it is still similar (same MHS parts).
New things are that I made him LED modules in every color (5) R,G,B,A,C.  Reverse sound system and a new style crystal pommel.  The new CP has a layered LED effect with an RB deep in the hilt and a BG near the pommel.  There are also blinkies under the bubbles and custom delrin inserts in the box to hide the wiring.

Particulars:

Lux III BIN 1 Cyan, BIN 4 Amber, BIN4 Red, Seoul P4 Blue and Green
LDM quick change heatsink.
Ultrasound 2.5
HO speaker in reverse sound orientation
BG (2) and RB (2) HO 5mm accent LEDs
4.8V NiMH battery solution
recharge/kill in pommel
Black anodized kill key
MPP clamp

The Video:

The Glams:

The LED choices:

« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 06:14:20 PM by GENERAL GRIEVOUS »

Offline MACE WINDU

• Formerly known as Nightstorm
  • JEDI/ALLIANCE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Do you have a problem with purple?
Re: "Precipice" for Nightwing by LDM
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2009, 12:02:08 AM »
Wow!  Thank you very much!  This is a thing of beauty.  I can't wait to get it :)  Pure art :)

-Nightstorm aka Nightwing :P lol

Offline darth_call

• Master Force User
Re: "Precipice" for Nightstorm by LDM
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2009, 12:07:41 AM »
Looks great! good job.

I JUST GOT FINISHED using one of those blue green blinkies you sent me, ....
video uploading, stay tuned for me next post ! LOL

Is the Amber LED really that yellow, ..or is that the camera causing that?

Offline GENERAL GRIEVOUS

• Master Force User
    • ldmcustomsabers.com
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2009, 02:15:54 AM »
BIN 4 Amber is pretty yellow but not true yellow. (The camera makes all my colors look a shade lighter.

Offline Amptrooper

• Master Force User
  • Imperial Royal Arms SaberSmith AmpTrooper Sabers
    • Imperial Royal Arms
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2009, 07:23:54 AM »
Looks great! You know, on some sabers that clamp box is just perfect. This is one!
Very nice work over all! Like the accent LEDs!

Offline MACE WINDU

• Master Force User
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2009, 08:04:43 AM »
Do any of the LED's power up when the kill key is pulled?  You said they were wired to the accent pads on the 2.5 so I'd guess at least some of them do.  Now that it's later on  Saturday morning I can probably safely wake up my wife to show her the video without risking injury.  ;D

I can't tell you how happy I am with how this turned out.  Absolutely beautiful.  And the little things that make it unique are fantastic.  When I first saw the silver ring on the emitter in the LED swap vid I wasn't sure if it was silver or a trick of the light.  I HOPED it was silver.  That's something I didn't even ask for but had I thought of it I would have.  I love that look.  Something minor, but cool none the less.  Even the black kill key in the pommel when it's idle is a perfect touch.  And that D-Ring, that is EXACTLY what I had in mind.

In case there was any confusion at all.  I LOVE IT.

:D

Offline GENERAL GRIEVOUS

• Master Force User
    • ldmcustomsabers.com
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2009, 10:30:48 AM »
The RB part of the crystal pommel blinks when the power is on (blinks blue), but you don't notice unless you look into the pommel. ;D

Offline MACE WINDU

• Master Force User
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2009, 11:37:32 AM »
Cool, can't wait to see it :)

Offline Darth Matth

• Master Force User
  • You think I'm mad? Guess what,... I'm Darth Matth!
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2009, 07:12:37 AM »
Wow man, I do like that accent LEDs in the clamb.
What a saber.
Congrats on this.
 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Signature teleports you to my lightsaber collection

Offline MACE WINDU

• Master Force User
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2009, 09:41:46 AM »
Yes, he did a fantastic job.  I love those multi-colored LED's.  This thing is going to be sweet :)

Offline GENERAL GRIEVOUS

• Master Force User
    • ldmcustomsabers.com
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2009, 08:22:01 PM »
Ships in the AM. ;D

Offline MACE WINDU

• Master Force User
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2009, 06:11:20 AM »
I love this saber.  Simply put, but I've run into a problem with the blade holder.  It uses the Blade Holder style 6 but two blades I have tried to use in it are too large.  One is an UltraEdge blade and the other is a corbin battle blade from TCSS.  The Ultra wouldn't fit at all and since it was from another saber I didn't want ot mod that blade at all as it fit the other one just fine.  (The Dark Leia from MH).  So I got the TCSS blade and tried it last night.  It seemed to go in, it was tight but it went in.  I went to remove it and found it was stuck like you wouldn't believe.  I couln't get it out no matter what I tried.  Finally, I gave up on trying to salvage both pieces and ended up cutting the blade off as close to the blade holder as I could and still have something to grip with a pair of pliers.  I used a dremmel and worked on the remaining blade inside of the holder until I could get it all out.  The result was a scarred interior of the blade holder and a blade that has lost a couple of inches and needs to be repaired.  Is this something others have run into?  Do you have to sand your blades down to get them to fit some holders thus "matching" them up with a particular saber?  I'm going to try to widen out this particular holder as it is already scratched up and gouged a bit.  I'm going to replace it with another one and have a few other saber project in mind as well.  I don't want to go the route of having to hone out the holders, so I think I'll opt for sanding down blades as needed.  I just wanted to see if anyone else had any suggestions or similar incidents.

Offline GENERAL GRIEVOUS

• Master Force User
    • ldmcustomsabers.com
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2009, 11:20:54 AM »
I love this saber.  Simply put, but I've run into a problem with the blade holder.  It uses the Blade Holder style 6 but two blades I have tried to use in it are too large.  One is an UltraEdge blade and the other is a corbin battle blade from TCSS.  The Ultra wouldn't fit at all and since it was from another saber I didn't want ot mod that blade at all as it fit the other one just fine.  (The Dark Leia from MH).  So I got the TCSS blade and tried it last night.  It seemed to go in, it was tight but it went in.  I went to remove it and found it was stuck like you wouldn't believe.  I couln't get it out no matter what I tried.  Finally, I gave up on trying to salvage both pieces and ended up cutting the blade off as close to the blade holder as I could and still have something to grip with a pair of pliers.  I used a dremmel and worked on the remaining blade inside of the holder until I could get it all out.  The result was a scarred interior of the blade holder and a blade that has lost a couple of inches and needs to be repaired.  Is this something others have run into?  Do you have to sand your blades down to get them to fit some holders thus "matching" them up with a particular saber?  I'm going to try to widen out this particular holder as it is already scratched up and gouged a bit.  I'm going to replace it with another one and have a few other saber project in mind as well.  I don't want to go the route of having to hone out the holders, so I think I'll opt for sanding down blades as needed.  I just wanted to see if anyone else had any suggestions or similar incidents.

PM sent.

This is common.  I sent you the fix in the PM. ;)

Offline MACE WINDU

• Master Force User
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2009, 11:42:55 AM »
Thanks for the info sir.  :)

Offline Darth_Baleful

• Master Force User
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2009, 12:43:19 AM »
great job LDM!! 8)  has a bit of a luke rotj feel to it 8)

MTFBWY
Praise be the order brought forth from the very edge of chaos.

There is only one return. And it's not of the King, it's of the JEDI

retrousse