fiduciary

Author Topic: SaberSD with LEDEngin 10W LED and Auxiliary Flash  (Read 20282 times)

Offline Subvirtua

• Experienced Force User
Re: SaberSD with LEDEngin 10W LED and Auxiliary Flash
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2011, 01:11:46 PM »
What would be the problem with using the hyperdyne driver to power your LED? Aside from being an expensive option? The pololu sounds like a cheaper alternative tbh.

Offline Darth Inferis

• Master Force User
  • UK sabersmith
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2011, 01:25:47 PM »
To the best of my knowledge it's not possible to run an LED star with a Hyperblade driver, they're made for LED strings. I'd be very happy to be corrected if I'm wrong about that though.
Beware the Mark of the Gungan! :o

Offline Subvirtua

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2011, 01:34:30 PM »
I'm no expert i'm afraid i've only just started playing around with mine an i'm running a strip but I don't see why you couldn't set it up the same way you would with a stock mr card to run your main. You prob wouldn't even need to bunch the wires together. I think you could run it on just the first as it can put out 1.5A to each section. Flashiness on impact though would involve one of the additions above I guess though i've not tried them myself yet.

Offline Darth Inferis

• Master Force User
  • UK sabersmith
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2011, 01:53:13 PM »
Hmmm. It could be possible but I've been searching for a guide to the V2 Hyperblade driver wiring for the multicoloured end of the board & can't find one. That would solve all my problems & it's possible I could use the output for the first step of the string for accent LED's & the 2nd step for the main blade.

Offline Subvirtua

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2011, 02:11:15 PM »
No. I need to email them again and ask the color/section sequence too. They were pretty quick getting back to me last week about the output specs. As and when i get an answer i'll post it.

Plus if you ran accent LEDs from the blade driver they would be affected by blade fx...
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 02:15:21 PM by Subvirtua »

Offline Darth Inferis

• Master Force User
  • UK sabersmith
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2011, 02:22:52 PM »
Brilliant! I've managed to glean this much, the yellow wire is the common positive & the others are all negative (Many thanks to Matt Thorn for figuring that out  ;)). I'd assume some will be to control the steps of the LED string & the rest will be for the impact activated flash effect. Best to wait for details from the source though. Thanks for your help Subvirtua, I look forward to hearing the results of your enquiry. :)

Edit - You're right about the accent LED's, perhaps I could run them off the rumble motor output? Failing that a micro LED driver like the ones JQ Sabers sell could do the trick wired in parallel to the main board input. I just want to run a pair of flickering 3mm LED's to give the inside of the Graflex clamp a furnace type effect which would be visible through the mesh of the blingstrip.
 I wonder if 1.5A would be enough to run 2 dies on a Ledengin 10W amber either in series or parallel?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 02:36:36 PM by Darth Inferis »

Offline Subvirtua

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2011, 03:32:24 PM »
Should be I think. Two dies 1.4A at 4.5v in series at a guess. Accent leds would be fine on the vib motor pads i'd imagine assuming you don't want to run your flash from those.
Reading through the documentation it doesn't seem to match the info Jim mailed me and strangely I can't seem to access the website today so I can't check to see if the current driver is a later version than my V2.. I'd suggest it's still doable with the V2 but perhaps not from a single segment feed with a 7.2v supply.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 02:17:21 PM by Subvirtua »

retrousse