fiduciary

Author Topic: Plecter Labs Products & Important Announcements  (Read 103959 times)

Offline LUMINARA UNDULI

• Master of the purple blade
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly Known As Allaerra
    • Vader's Vault
Re: Important things about Plecter Labs and Crystal Focus
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2010, 07:19:25 PM »
I didn't say they were your words.  I was commenting on the original post, I know you were just the messenger ;).

Facebook: VVFB

Offline Jm419

• Master Force User
  • Owl Thread Survivor #19
    • The Star Wars Custom Miniature Database
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2010, 07:49:44 PM »
Ah, got it.  Thanks.  ;)

Offline Revan Reborn

• Formerly known as dj2rbo
  • Master Force User
  • SHABBA!!
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2010, 10:13:27 PM »
The only way Ill ever be happy is before I die to own one....wether it be 500 or 180 at this point I dont care. Erv just do what you have to do and hopefully by the grace of God hopefully everyone who wishes to have at least one gets one. That isnt too much to ask I dont think..... I never wanted anything more in life than to own one of these. 

Watcha!! Darth Insidious gonna get cha!!!!!

Offline djobitwan7

• Master Force User
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2010, 06:11:19 AM »
I'll ask a future question then. Since I recently became a father and wanted to plan ahead so my child is set-up (even if it's just a little) when the time comes for me to pass. I know Erv is probably far away from this scenario, but I wonder who continues the legacy if something did happen? Planes, Trains & Automobiles are safe, but the other drivers out there are crazy.

I have flown several times and prefer that method first. I especially love riding motorcycles, but when I rode everyday, I was almost always run over by people who do not see me very well. Nowadays, the teenagers talk with their cell phones and text with them constantly. Badly at that most of the time. I guess they hate Bluetooth in their ears, but I use them constantly. Anyways, back to my original question.

Who continues the work for Erv? I own 2 of his boards. Granted, they were from smiths who had them handy, but I was never able to obtain one yet by myself. I always tried and will continue, because it is a magnificent board. Erv is also very helpful. I asked questions and he answers. He knows his craft very well. I wish I had even a fraction of what is inside his head, LOL. If I could help him out I would & gladly.

Like the videos I see from Nova, Erv & Yoda.... I hope he does have a journal that would let someone figure out how to make the CF. I'd hate to see something from a genius fade away.

I only have one more thing to add to this long post. Since it seems a lot of sabers being made (Korbanth's run and so on) are small ID wise and only seem to fit a Yoda board, I wonder if you had any ideas for a more basic board that can fit inside them too? Granted the board couldn't surpass the CF or PC, but no one can deny any board you make would be better than the Yoda one and it would probably sound better too. Okay, done now.

EDIT:  Ah, since I didn't own any of those runs, I didn't know that. I just remember reading & people asking. The replies were they couldn't fit anything, but a Yoda board. I hope this means I can obtain a CF whenever the run is and may you live long and prosp.......ah, you get the point. In the long future, you will probably have CFv100 and the thing is the size of a pinhead.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 06:33:57 AM by djobitwan7 »

Offline erv

• Plecter Labs Inc. "Keeper of the Buttered Toast"
  • Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as Irvin PLECTER
    • Plecter Labs - Props Electronics
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2010, 06:19:38 AM »
muahahah !!!!!
*deep & evil voice*
I'll take CF to the grave with ME !!!
muahahah !!!!!

I don't know, despite I thought several times about that eventuality but I don't have any answer. I suppose I have to prepare a secret archive with my recipe and add that to my legacy.

CF & PC are 23.5mm wide right now (< 1") and so for, it fits in many sabers, once you've removed the inner 3/4" tube. My marajade is a good example I think, as well as the ki-adi saber (tricloud).

Offline Smokiewan

• Master Force User
  • Canadian Jedi do it in the snow
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2010, 09:18:23 AM »
Erv, if you need an apprentice, I'll be more than happy to quit Costco, pack up my girlfriend in a wardrobe (it's cheaper to stow her...hahaha!) and move to Paris. I hear cardboard can be a nice shelter.... :-\

EDIT: I am kidding of course. Even though Erv's craft is rare and interesting, I don't feel I have the necessary knowledge yet. Keep plugging away Erv. You're an legend in our time.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 04:28:29 PM by Smokiewan »

Offline Novastar

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
  • NCSCS - Sabercombat.com
    • DIAMOND DRAGONS: Humans stand, heroes fall--but DRAGONS are *Forever*...
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2010, 12:27:31 PM »
I'm going to add to this to say a few things.

1.  Before CF came about (and I'm talking about v1.x back in 2006/2007)... there WERE NO "HIGH-END" BOARDS.  So there is nothing to compare it to in terms of availability.

2.  Over the years that I've come to work with Erv, I've found him not only to be an amazing GENIUS (this is not a kiss up, he's just bloody smart)... but he's also an amazing friend, has a great sense of humor, is well-respected and needed at his MAIN place of work (day job)... and he's also a great father to his child and partner to his gal.  *HE HAS A REGULAR LIFE BEYOND SABERS AS DO WE ALL*.  But having all that in mind... ALL OF IT... guess what?  He's been extremely generous, fair, and understanding to his customers, the affiliates, the general market... and everyone in the hobby.

DON'T ABUSE HIM!!
   >:(

The day that Erv doesn't feel TRULY appreciated and isn't treated with all due fairness and kindness which he has shown to everyone ELSE... is the day that I think he should simply say "Enough.  My family, friends, and my own life are more important than this silly little saber hobby."

I don't think that day needs to come... but let's just encapsulate my entire post: "BE FAIR UNTO OTHERS AS THEY HAVE BEEN FAIR UNTO THEE"... and there won't be a problem.

I can tell you all something FIRST-HAND!!!... .... places like FX... TCSS... JSS???  They are looking out for YOU.  They are looking out to make the LED saber community BETTER--not worse.

That's the entire reason that I stick around, too.  You think I do all the saber videos/editing/Erviana Jones stuff for SOLELY MONEY??!??  Or to make things WORSE for folks?!?  Or to "brag"??!?  No.  And if the day comes that I think people in this community are overwhelmingly: selfish... mean... covetous... disrespectful... etc. ... ... yup, I won't stick around.

Again though... I don't think that day needs to come... :)  PEACE OUT AND HAVE FUN WITH YOUR LIGHTSABERS!!!

--Novastar
* Former creator and owner of SaberCombat
* CUSTOM SOUND FONT LIST --->
Click here for Nova's 100+ custom sound fonts!
* PERFORMANCE HIGHLIGHTS ---> Click here for Nova's saber performance work...
* DIAMOND DRAGONS ---> Diamond Dragons: A feature-length screenplay being developed by Matthew 'Novastar' Carauddo

I don't post often on forums anymore.  If you want to e-mail me: novastar1138@gmail.com, or visit me on Facebook:

Click here.

Offline Master Jedye

• The Master of the School for the Dremel-Fu Gifted
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as Master Jedye
    • Gemini Concepts
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2010, 12:41:29 PM »

I can tell you all something FIRST-HAND!!!... .... places like FX... TCSS... JSS???  They are looking out for YOU.  They are looking out to make the LED saber community BETTER--not worse.

This is my favorite part.  8)

I think people would be shock (SHOCKED) to know how much R&D goes on behind the scenes.  I've spent a whole weekend in the shop before and come out with nothing to show for it... just a lot of "failed" attempts at this or that, a hurt ego and a little less cash.  I bet we've had more sabers crash and burn (and never seen the light of day) due to R&D than have actually been posted.  Not just whole sabers... but boards, hilts, LED's, MHS pieces and sometimes, even equipment.  I can't count how many MHS pieces we've rendered "unusable" in an attempt to do something cool and "forward-thinking". 

But the nice thing about experiementing is that you never REALLY go back to the drawing board... something was ALWAYS learned (even if that something was a "...in the future, don't do XYZ")

just sayin....

The fact that Erv felt like he had to post this is.... well, a little disheartening.  I will say this, though... I KNOW more people appreciate and respect Erv for what's he's done and continues to do (than the few 'nay-sayers' and complainers).  They just seem to have a louder voice at times.

We ALL know Erv could sell his boards for $500.00 a piece. And yes... I bet they would still sell out in under two minutes.  He knows this too.  I gotta say... that's a hellava lot of integrity he has, to not jack up those prices like that. 
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 01:07:41 PM by Master Jedye »

First place winner in the 19 BBY \"Mustafar LavaRock Belly Crawl\"

Offline Shadeslinger

• Master Force User
  • "I will consume your soul before this day is done"
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2010, 01:16:27 PM »
The CF is the one component that can truly make a saber geeks dream come true. :)

I still remember when we here in the states got our first glimpse of what this incredible board could do. I believe it was former(?) mod KIT FISTO who demonstrated one of erv's original "sith sabers" with a CF. I had thoughts like, "WOW! awesome sounds AND you can customize them?!?" and "Oooo! It flickers like in the movies!" and "OMG! A lockup sound too?!? Genius!!" This was because, like Novastar has said, there really were NO high end sound boards.
In fact, the options then were 1. stunt. 2. corbin's board or 3. cannibalized MR/Hasbro toy board. Oh yeah, and if you wanted sound you couldn't drive anything higher than a lux III unless you wanted to cram your hilt with more electronics which alot of us, and I'm talking the no0bs like myself, couldn't or didnt do.

After all this time erv still leads the way with the CF. Yes, we've had great products like the Ultrasound and SuperOne, but they can't compare to the flexibility
and customization of the CF (disclaimer: these boards we not designed to go head to head with the CF. No disrespect. ;))

As the level of enthusiaists has grown (and greatly I might add) I can understand why demand has increased. Anybody can see that. What some people need to realize is that the method of making and distributing the CF has changed very little. Erv still makes these more or less the same as when he started. It's really quite incredible when you think about it. And even with the increase in demand, I don't think that should change. <insert favorite "if it ain't broke" comment>. Erv's work has changed this hobby, but I'd think it unfair and rude for the hobby to try and change erv. My hat has gone off to erv ever since I saw that first sith saber. Keep up the excellent work!! :)

................of course, if you really want a nice slice of Buttered Toast but can't find one for sale, or don't want to wait, you could always try to make one yourself. It's really not THAT difficult. Well, not HORRIBLY bad anyway. Think I'm full of it? I tried it myself right after the last batch of V5s went up. It just takes some patience. And steady hands. And the right tools. And...Metallica ???

See here> http://s159.photobucket.com/albums/t121/Shadeslinger/?action=view&current=cfistoast.flv&newest=1

;D (mods disclaimer: yeah, I had this posted before, but it was 2 days before the site crash and got vanished)     

Offline erv

• Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2010, 01:53:24 PM »
LMAO.
"my name is sladeslinger, and I haven't F5ied for 2 weeks"
"WELCOOOOOOOOME sladeslinger"

very nice easter egg video. Thanks for doing that one  :) (and thanks for the constructive comments above, much appreciated).
It's written in the V5 manual, but I'll make a nice tribute thread/video to the CF USERS. Homage to all the tinkered, hackers, saber builders of all sorts who proposed ideas, and pushed the hobby and the board design to what it is now.

Offline LUMINARA UNDULI

• Master of the purple blade
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly Known As Allaerra
    • Vader's Vault
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2010, 04:31:48 PM »
Erv's work has changed this hobby, but I'd think it unfair and rude for the hobby to try and change erv.

This is the best quote I have seen in a long time.  Shadeslinger, you have so eloquently summed up my feelings on this in one line :). 

Facebook: VVFB

Offline Rhyen Skytracker

• Master Force User
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2010, 05:18:04 PM »
Shadeslinger, I LMAO at that video.  It is super hard to solder all the butter into the correct places on the toast.  I don't see how Erv does it.  LOL

Erv, We do appreciate all you have done and are doing for this hobby.  There are many of us out there that spend tons of time to advance this hobby and try to come up with ideas and reasearch new technologies to make the best sabers out there.   And we do all of this because we LOVE this hobby and love to teach others about it.  You have gone far beyond the call of duty to make the most awesome sound board out there.  Not only with sabers but with blasters too.  I know we dont' tell you enough but you are awesome and we really do appreciate you.  Just let us know if there is ANYTHING we can do for you to help you out in anyway.  I know it is hard having a full time day job, a family and still have time to work on sabers and sound cards.  I know all of us are excited about the new CFs (any Cf for that matter) and we want them NOW, but you take your time and above all else be sure to spend quality time with your family.  We can wait.  Once again, thanks for all you do.

Offline Master Durangus

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Graphics Designer
    • Durangus Designs on IRA
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2010, 06:27:31 PM »
You have gone far beyond the call of duty to make the most awesome sound board out there. 

;D

-Graphic Designer (See Bottom Link)-

The Forgotten Jedi....
-Alexander Durangus-

MD's Digital Porfolio

Offline Sunrider

• Unlimited Brightness!!! RRROOAARRR!!!
  • Master Force User
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2010, 06:54:57 PM »
 I second Rhyen's statement. I wait patiently & wish I could help.

Offline erv

• Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2010, 12:24:15 AM »
Nice CoD picture *saved*
CoD is still one of my fav game !

thanks for the kind word, things are getting better everyday (schedule in particular).

retrousse