fiduciary

Author Topic: PROS and CONS review of Anakin ROTS FX  (Read 6306 times)

Offline mkygod

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
PROS and CONS review of Anakin ROTS FX
« on: July 11, 2005, 03:23:19 AM »
Bought mine from Bestbuy.com at $119.

The Good

- Mostly metal construction has a very sturdy feel. Nothing is better than the feel of cold steel(well actually aluminium) in yer hands
- Looks real
- Good feel and balance.  Very Minimal creeking at the hilt; cant hear any creeking unless you have your ear next to it with the saber turned off.
- Bright enough to play in the dark with
- Changing batteries is a piece of cake; quick with no tools needed.
- The novelty is great
- Looks great in my room on the nice stand that comes with it

The Bad

- Not quite as bright as id hope, but still very bright. Do not be misled by photos showing the blade as near-white in the middle with a blue glow around it. Cameras tend to exagerrate the brightness since they naturually multiply the light on the blade. With the human eye in a dark environment, the blade is a very solid bright cobalt blue (no gradient effect), with very little glow around it.
- Hilt is not entirely metal. Here are parts that are plastic: The round copper colored bits are plastic, as well as the ring around it. The 2 goldcolored prongs that stick out a bit on each side are plastic. The front area of the hilt that actually hugs/touches the blade. The back butt of the blade that acts as the speaker grille (the ring around it is metal). The entire rectanglar activator switch module including switch.
- The gold areas of the switch module are painted plastics and also the copper circle areas. Over time, it could potentially wear off, especially the switch which will have the most wear and tear.
- Slight dark spot in the middle of the blade. Im still not sure as to why there is a dark spot there. Someone had said it is where the LEDs are tied together in the middle, while someone else has said it is because of a foam piece inside the blade.
- Requires too much force/impact to make the clashing sounds; more than most people are comfortable with.
- No way to turn off the sound or volume control. Volume is good but too loud for night playing when there are people sleeping in the next room or even across the hall! Hopefully, volume control or on/off switch can be impleted in the near future. Would be good for battery conservation also.

Nitpicking:

- Slight rattling sound, but is apparently normal the motion sensors. not annoying really, but was a concern at first.
- Yellow sticker is hard to take off without leaving sticky residue. yuck.
- The hilt is made of a chromed aluminum, completely smooth with no brushing. This makes it prone to oils and fingerprints compared to some other hilts that have a brushed aluminium effect. You constantly have to polish the hilt to keep it clean and not feeling all grimy.

Ok, so it may seem ive complained alot about all the plastic parts on the hilt. I just wanted those who havent played with one to know exactly what they are getting before they buy it since I've never had the oppurtunity to hold or see one with my own eyes before i bought it.

The outside of the hilt is still 90% alumininium which is more than i can say for many other toys/collectibles! I dont really mind as long as it keeps prices low. I am just concerned that the gold coloring of the switch may wear down over time.

Been using the Rayovac 15-minute NiMH batteries for these. 15 min recharge times are sweet for toys like these!

Offline Bigdog01

• Jedi Master/VIP
  • Master Force User
    • FX-Sabers.com
Re: PROS and CONS review of Anakin ROTS FX
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2005, 07:08:16 AM »
Hey, you might want to try using some fresh Energizer or Duracell batteries. They just might make your blade a bit brighter.  :D

Master Replicas Collection
2004 Luke ESB Force FX (2x)
2005 Vader ESB Force FX (3x)
2005 Anakin ROTS Force FX (x3)
2005 Luke ROTJ Force FX  (2x)
2005 Mace ROTS Force FX
2006 Darth Maul FX (x2)
(= ;=__((===============

Offline Mr.Griffin

• Master Force User
  • mmmmm... Star Wars
    • Family Guy Stuff
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2005, 08:03:06 AM »
Bought mine from Bestbuy.com at $119.

Been using the Rayovac 15-minute NiMH batteries for these. 15 min recharge times are sweet for toys like these!

no they are not... did you read the manual?
{[][][][]--{}================

(((FORMALLY MR.GRIFFIN)))

Offline Bandit-Jedi

• Formerly known as Bandit-Jedi
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • I have a way with...the Force.
    • My other love...2002 Trans Am Collector Edition
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2005, 03:22:37 PM »
yah, get rid of the NiMH batts and get some nice alkalines.  I was using the NiMH's and I was having light problems due to the lack of voltage that the rechargeable batteries put out.   
Its worth it...believe me.

May The Force FX Be With You!

Offline trexy

• General of the Old Republic
  • Master Force User
  • At last we will have revenge!
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2005, 04:27:41 PM »
alkalines are the best, the blade lights up prefectly

Offline Yoda

• Jedi Master
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as MERIDIAN
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2005, 05:19:54 PM »
Hello There
Please go read through the report in the Question and answers section
called "Don't skimp on Batteries"
There your power issues will be answered.
always
MERIDIAN

Offline The Abbot

• Master of the Jar'Kai Style
  • Master Force User
  • Lajedi.com ,Force-Fx.com Founder
    • http://www.Force-Fx.com
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2005, 07:36:04 PM »
Yeah man cuz the Anakin is the brightest of them all...
I don`t see any cons with the Anakin rots or Vader esb,they mr 2 beat sabers to date.
LaserBlade:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/laserblade/id608879483?mt=8

The poster formerly known as Kit Fisto. Creator of the Force-FX sig style. Master of the 2 saber staff style way before Pong Krell

Offline psykE

• Formerly known as psykE
  • Master Force User
  • Join the DARK side
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2005, 02:13:45 PM »
Get some Alcohal to take off the stickers marks very simple
Fx Saber Collection:

Offline PLO KOON

• formerly known as s3an_looi
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
    • Find me on Facebook
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2005, 07:37:37 PM »
Get some Alcohal to take off the stickers marks very simple

Is it damaging to the lightsaber? Anyone else tried this yet?

Offline Hunter

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2005, 07:34:46 AM »
Volume is good but too loud for night playing when there are people sleeping in the next room or even across the hall!

no offence but....i cant think of a way to end that
« Last Edit: August 04, 2005, 07:37:06 AM by Hunter »

Offline Mr.Griffin

• Master Force User
  • mmmmm... Star Wars
    • Family Guy Stuff
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2005, 07:38:52 AM »
Volume is good but too loud for night playing when there are people sleeping in the next room or even across the hall!

no offence but....i cant think of a way to end that

Put tape over the speaker
{[][][][]--{}================

(((FORMALLY MR.GRIFFIN)))

Offline jack3auer

• Do or Do Not there is No Try
  • Master Force User
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2005, 08:16:48 AM »
 yeah this saber is so loud its unbelievable.

it really feels realistic because of it is it just me or does anyone else experience a very slight vibration when holding the hilt with it on (its probably due to the volume of the speaker)

Offline Hunter

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2005, 01:50:18 PM »
no vibrations on mine.has anyone noticed that when you the speaker close to your ear(basically point the rear end in your face) and power up/down its so friggin loud it hurts your ears! its awesome  ;D

Offline UberJediVK

• formerly known as UberJediVK
  • Master Force User
  • Nice..
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2005, 01:56:03 PM »
no vibrations on mine.has anyone noticed that when you the speaker close to your ear(basically point the rear end in your face) and power up/down its so friggin loud it hurts your ears! its awesome  ;D

yeah... i stopped doing that after i tried it for the first time... it's not worth going deaf over..  :D

try this though, go outside in an open area (like a neighborhood cul-de-sac) and ignite/ power down your lightsaber... listen to how REAL it sounds, and how LOUD it is even outside. You can literally hear an ECHO!  :o
"What's in there?"

"...Only what you take with you..."

FX Collection:
Anakin ROTS
Vader ESB

Abi-Wan

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2005, 06:55:47 AM »
greeting my fellow Jedi Seniors, I just got my Anakin ROTS to play with .. WOW .. awesome .. that's the only word that you keep enchanting while twirling the sabers hehe ....

Yes this should be my best toys so far ....

the only problem is .. I also got a bit noise behind the battery contact point (inside the hilt) .. its not that obvious though ... I think this should be normal rite?  :)

retrousse