fiduciary

Author Topic: Proffie2.2 Independent Effect Wiring Help  (Read 1392 times)

Offline giddyup69

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
Proffie2.2 Independent Effect Wiring Help
« on: September 12, 2020, 05:54:01 AM »
I was hoping someone could provide some guidance on wiring.

I am trying to figure out how to wire my accent Leds to get individual effects.

I have a:
(a)Pixel Main blade
(b)Pixel Crystal Chamber
(c)4x blue led accents
(d)1x red led accent

I was hoping to have independent effects on all of these but I am now second guessing whether this is possible.

I was going to wire:
-(a) to Data1 pad
-(b) to Data2 pad

But now I get lost with the rest.

Reading the proffie manual it looks like Led2/3 pads are going to be used by (a) above. Then (b) would be wired to Led4
(Unless I do sub-blade then only Led2/3 is taken)

So now I am left with only Led 5 and 6 pads to wire the rest of the Leds (or 4-6 if sub-blade used).

I was hoping to run some independent effects on the remaining Leds separately. 

Example with the 4x blue Leds: Different patterned chasing lights depending on the status of what the blade was doing.

I have seen some youtube videos where it appears this is possible.  Goth3D videos come to mind the most and he appears to be using an older proffie board.

I just can't seem to wrap my head around the electrical side of this project for wiring.

Any help/guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Offline profezzorn

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • May the source be with you.
    • Hubbe's Corner
Re: Proffie2.2 Independent Effect Wiring Help
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2020, 02:00:21 PM »
So, the problem here is that you're going over the power-channel budget, which on a Proffieboard is 6 channels.
You would like to use 8 power channels. (2 for the blade, 1 for the crystal chamber and 5 for the accent LEDS.)

The easy way to get around this limitation is to use pixels some of your accent LEDs. However, if that not an
option, it is still possible to do this using an external FET.  Basically, you could get a FET or PEX to create
an additional power channel. The external power channel won't be PWM capable, but you don't need that to control
neopixels. An external FET could be hooked up to Data3 for instance, and used to control the power to the main blade.
The remaining LEDs will now require 6 channels, which is exactly what you have available.

Offline giddyup69

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2020, 04:10:35 PM »
So, the problem here is that you're going over the power-channel budget, which on a Proffieboard is 6 channels.
You would like to use 8 power channels. (2 for the blade, 1 for the crystal chamber and 5 for the accent LEDS.)

The easy way to get around this limitation is to use pixels some of your accent LEDs. However, if that not an
option, it is still possible to do this using an external FET.  Basically, you could get a FET or PEX to create
an additional power channel. The external power channel won't be PWM capable, but you don't need that to control
neopixels. An external FET could be hooked up to Data3 for instance, and used to control the power to the main blade.
The remaining LEDs will now require 6 channels, which is exactly what you have available.

thank you!  this has been very helpful.

edit:  out of curiosity.  I assume multiple Led's be connected to 1 led pad?  What is the power limit to these pads? Can I connect 2 led's to pad 5 and 2 more led's to pad 6?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 04:26:46 PM by giddyup69 »

Offline profezzorn

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • May the source be with you.
    • Hubbe's Corner
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2020, 02:31:53 PM »

thank you!  this has been very helpful.

edit:  out of curiosity.  I assume multiple Led's be connected to 1 led pad?  What is the power limit to these pads? Can I connect 2 led's to pad 5 and 2 more led's to pad 6?

Assuming that we're talking about regular LEDs (not neopixels)....
You can connect multiple LEDs to the same pad, but you can of course not control them individually if you do so, they will light up at the same time and with the same intensity.
The power limit for the LED pad depends a fair amount on the air circulation around the chip. The chip is technically capable of 10A per pad, but that only works if the air circulation is good enough. Somewhere around 5A should be pretty safe though.

retrousse